GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The complete history of UKchatforums.com"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/09/05 at 18:19
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I often think about the history of these forums, and how things used to be. That's not to say they've declined in quality over the years, but as with most things, you keep them going long enough and you'll find people complaining that things ain't what they used to be.

Anyway, I got to remembering some of the good times while bored at work today (a regular occurence) and yeah, it might be a bit sad, but some of the memories really did make me smile. UKchatforums.com must be my most visited website ever (still my homepage) and despite it just being a collection of poorly-designed .gif images and text-speak, sometimes it genuinely manages to make me laugh out loud (LOL).

So... in the spirit of one of my Shiznit lists, I want your top UKchatforums.com moments of all time, from throughout history - it can be favourite users, brilliant moments of realisation or just your favourite threads. I'll get us kicked off with a few memories that brightened up my day.

THE BELLDANDY SAGA - I've never had so much fun berating someone over the internet as I did with Belldandy. Probably still floating around somewhere under a newly mysterious (very probably Manga-related) username, Belldandy was NEVER WRONG. Even if he was, he wasn't. And if he really was, then he'd run away and not come out to play, until the next time he was wrong. It came close to bullying at a few points (I used to get his emails) but it was coming from both sides: Goaty, Light, Pandy, myself and others (all anti-war and common sense) versus the one man righteous army of Belldandy.

The Belldandy saga reached a hilarious conclusion, when on one of his many mysterious reappearances under another nick (HALO Fan), he was sussed by the lot of us and nevertheless proceeded to dispute it for several months, despite have all the curt mannerisms and blind flag-wankery that good old Bell had. It stopped being fun when we finally saw a picture of him on Special Observe, then realised our physical name calling was disturbingly prophetic.

There have been others, but none as more fun to bait as Belldandy.
Page:
Thu 29/09/05 at 11:37
Regular
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> Hercules!, remember him? Totally licked my rusty starfish, always the
> first to jump to my defense when Stryke decided to be nasty and make
> me cry.

--

Don't ruin the myth. You don't cry, you just go and try to curl park benches in manly frustration.
Thu 29/09/05 at 11:15
Regular
phuzzy wrote:
> The plan to all meet up and have some kinda LAN
> tourney, only to have someone (I think Turbonutter) mention how
> nobody's getting near his 'pork sword'.

Ah. Tilt gave a warning to anyone who fancied slipping him the pork sword in the night. Also, I think it was Nintendo multiplayer time rather than LAN. I wanted to suggest LAN Halo as well but that was strictly against the rules.
And then when Tilt used the word "pork sword", all serious discussion went out the window! :D
Thu 29/09/05 at 03:58
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Seems crazy, the amount of stuff that'd gone on here over the years. I kind of feel, in a silly way, not being here over the last year or so that I've missed out on stuff. Having just read through this thread though, some the the old stuff was classic - Grix's posts were always decent (even the random ones) - what happened to him? I read about his DPD but didn't know he had left.

Then all the funny crap gerrid and AJ pulled out of thin air. The Shaneo shenanigans with GAD. The various 'hacks' into SR. Three free games every day! The excitement of checking to look for my name! The mediocre walkthroughs I posted!

Some of the faces, too, old and not so old - Microchips was decent, Dringo too (I wish I could of agreed with him on the Ninty stuff, but man, did he love that company - whats all this barn incident about?). Niddle getting a grand from his parents, and taking a fudgin' photo. Special Observe! The plan to all meet up and have some kinda LAN tourney, only to have someone (I think Turbonutter) mention how nobody's getting near his 'pork sword'. DarkMark and his exploits with Edgy. The orgasmic realisation of a 129 quid gamecube (in retrospect, this was maybe a little over the top...)

Mystique and her ... well ... just 'her'. Belldandy being ripped apart, reading those posts made me weep. Ah, all good stuff.

And the relatively new things! Rosalind going from Newbie to Notable in some tiny amount of time. Top Score et al! It's so hard to keep up with it all.

Crazy stuff, this place.
Mon 12/09/05 at 20:37
Regular
"Excommunicated"
He had massive arguments with her on here too.

Which was nice.
Mon 12/09/05 at 20:29
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Just remembered the thread in which IB spoke of abuse at the hands of his girlfriend, and was torn a new hole by other forum members for the phrase 'I marked her to let her know to not do it again'.

Great days. IB has since been less fun because he's turned reasonable. He's no Belldandy.
Mon 12/09/05 at 20:01
"slightlyshortertagl"
I can't believe I just spent the last hour of my life reading through all that.

Reminded me of the great times at SR.

'My Dad...'

Good times :)
Sun 11/09/05 at 21:52
Regular
I'd donate.
Sun 11/09/05 at 21:47
Regular
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> RastaBillySkank wrote:
> The GAD GOSH donation. Something for the forum members to be truly
> proud of. I fear the sad truth is though that were SR to do
> something
> similar now it wouldn't get anything like the response it did then.
>
> That was most bizarre. We had loads of donations I seem to recall,
> and I had to process them. But it felt strange donating videogames
> and not the actual money, I suppose it depends on how you look at it
> - giving the kids a games console and something to play on it
> provided them with some happiness I guess.
>
> I'd like to think the community here would be just as generous if
> another campaign was started. Why not, SR? How about another forum
> drive? Perhaps donate the amount raised to the Red Cross, or another
> good cause? I think most people on here have enough games thank you
> very much.

GOSH are always keen to get games for older kids, teenagers, so hopefully you didnt send a bunch of Barbie games.

I've asked SR many times about doing game donations again, pretty much every year but especially when the webcomic Penny Arcade [URL]http://www.penny-arcade.com[/URL] started asking people to buy games and toys for childrens hospitals, raising a few hundred thousand dollars worth of stuff. I also asked them if they would atleast sponsor (atleast $100) last years one like other UK games companies were doing, but again it was ignored. I guess they're not interested. I think this year PA are expanding and a hospital in the UK will get some stuff but I wouldnt be suprised if SR, once again, ignore it.
Sun 11/09/05 at 21:28
I just remembered, I liked that topic on Chernobyl.

Where was it posted? I'll go look at it again if anyone knows
Fri 09/09/05 at 19:46
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> The GAD GOSH donation. Something for the forum members to be truly
> proud of. I fear the sad truth is though that were SR to do something
> similar now it wouldn't get anything like the response it did then.

That was most bizarre. We had loads of donations I seem to recall, and I had to process them. But it felt strange donating videogames and not the actual money, I suppose it depends on how you look at it - giving the kids a games console and something to play on it provided them with some happiness I guess.

I'd like to think the community here would be just as generous if another campaign was started. Why not, SR? How about another forum drive? Perhaps donate the amount raised to the Red Cross, or another good cause? I think most people on here have enough games thank you very much.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.