GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The complete history of UKchatforums.com"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/09/05 at 18:19
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I often think about the history of these forums, and how things used to be. That's not to say they've declined in quality over the years, but as with most things, you keep them going long enough and you'll find people complaining that things ain't what they used to be.

Anyway, I got to remembering some of the good times while bored at work today (a regular occurence) and yeah, it might be a bit sad, but some of the memories really did make me smile. UKchatforums.com must be my most visited website ever (still my homepage) and despite it just being a collection of poorly-designed .gif images and text-speak, sometimes it genuinely manages to make me laugh out loud (LOL).

So... in the spirit of one of my Shiznit lists, I want your top UKchatforums.com moments of all time, from throughout history - it can be favourite users, brilliant moments of realisation or just your favourite threads. I'll get us kicked off with a few memories that brightened up my day.

THE BELLDANDY SAGA - I've never had so much fun berating someone over the internet as I did with Belldandy. Probably still floating around somewhere under a newly mysterious (very probably Manga-related) username, Belldandy was NEVER WRONG. Even if he was, he wasn't. And if he really was, then he'd run away and not come out to play, until the next time he was wrong. It came close to bullying at a few points (I used to get his emails) but it was coming from both sides: Goaty, Light, Pandy, myself and others (all anti-war and common sense) versus the one man righteous army of Belldandy.

The Belldandy saga reached a hilarious conclusion, when on one of his many mysterious reappearances under another nick (HALO Fan), he was sussed by the lot of us and nevertheless proceeded to dispute it for several months, despite have all the curt mannerisms and blind flag-wankery that good old Bell had. It stopped being fun when we finally saw a picture of him on Special Observe, then realised our physical name calling was disturbingly prophetic.

There have been others, but none as more fun to bait as Belldandy.
Page:
Fri 30/09/05 at 23:10
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> It paid to be nice to the Snuggly.

That's how I think I won mine. I've not won once since you left.

I remember you once saying that Timmarah and I were the only two posters worth reading on this site, but since then I had to get jobs and stuff, which ballsed things up for me.

I still haven't finished my Broken Sword walkthrough.

Go back, Snuggers, (I can call you that because of our history), and give me games!

Please
Fri 30/09/05 at 22:29
"slightlyshortertagl"
phuzzy wrote:
> Niddle getting a grand from his parents, and taking a fudgin' photo.

*feels loved*
Fri 30/09/05 at 21:08
Regular
lcarus wrote:
> gamesfreak wrote:
> Albert the Large.
>
> Remember him?
>
> RIP. Our first dead forum member.

:'(
Fri 30/09/05 at 09:32
Regular
So there's gonna be loads of Japanese kids running around speaking English with a Scottish accent?

Cool.
Fri 30/09/05 at 03:30
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I wish!

I had to fundraise 4000GBP to get over here (which was rather difficult), and I went on various TEFl (English-as-a-foreign-language) courses. The organisation I'm with is called Project Trust, it's like gap year's ... without the moonlight parties in Thailand. Anyway, I got all the money together over the course of the year and here I am, sitting in the staff room of this Tokyo private school, writing this message.

Obviously, we're not quite as fully trained as the others, but because we're native speakers everybody loves us, which is handy. We go into classes, repeat phrases, try and teach better pronounciation, a little bit of grammar, marking and assessing. Also, in the afternoons and evenings we teach local residents and the P.T.A. It's hard work, but worth it to be here. I mean, Akihabara ('The Electric Town') is insane. The amount of electronics, components, video games, gadgets and gizmos is obscene. Chuck in a healthy dose of shrines, temples and an impossibly large alphabet and you've a year made in heaven. Well, when the homesickness fades :S

EDIT : Japanese knowledge? You can get by in first week with basics (Hello, Good morning, I would like etc etc) but as time passes I've learnt some hiragana (a i u e o, ka ki ku ke ko, sa si su se so, except instead of letters they look like か き く け こ etc). The kids have a grasp of English, even the youngest ones, and with a bit of gesturing you can get the idea of the lesson across. Just.
Fri 30/09/05 at 00:44
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I'll drink to that!

What, so you just went to the airport one day, then became a teacher? How much Japanese do you need to know to teach English over there?
Fri 30/09/05 at 00:35
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Heh Cycloon, it's now silly 'Tokyo' shenanigans! Moved over here 3 weeks ago to teach English for a year, what a crazy, silly idea *that* was. Miss the old family and girlfriend back home, you don't fully realise how long a year is until it feels like a lifetime and only a fortnight has passed.. As for Mystique, I couldn't quite think of a word - it's not sarcasm, it's not feminism...just 'Mystique'

As for monkey_man, tae hell with ye!
Thu 29/09/05 at 17:56
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I luvs you phuzzy

Good luck in your silly Scottish shenanigans.
Thu 29/09/05 at 15:38
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I think he means "A girl spoke to me!"...
Thu 29/09/05 at 14:49
Regular
phuzzy wrote:

>
> Mystique and her ... well ... just 'her'.

Whats that supposed to mean?
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.