GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A-Level and AS Level Results"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/08/05 at 23:54
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
Hope it goes well for everyone

*gets nervous*
Thu 18/08/05 at 21:34
Regular
Maths is usually put along side subjects like Computing.

A lot of computer-related stuff is based around mathematics.
Thu 18/08/05 at 21:37
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
The fundamentals of a lot of other subjects is maths - physics, computing, mechanics. If you can get your head round how formulas fit into place and how numbers interact, it opens the doors for a lot of other fields. After doing maths module in my first two years at Uni, I appreciate it more than ever - it's essential to have a solid grounding in it for any science-based subject.

EDIT: So in answer to Goaty's question - Maths is like a core for everything else technical or scientific, it's not like a specific form of maths used for physics, or chemistry, it's the whole bloody lot!
Thu 18/08/05 at 21:38
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ah, so it's combining maths with other stuff that makes it useful - makes sense as opposed to just having isolated maths.
Cheers Pointdexter!
Thu 18/08/05 at 21:39
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> What is the point in taking a degree in Maths?

Aha, weird, I meant to ask my mate the very same question last night.

[Edit: He's going to St Andrews to study Maths, by the way]
Thu 18/08/05 at 21:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
munn wrote:
> Aha, weird, I meant to ask my mate the very same question last night.
----

Yeah, it's always bothered me because I couldn't see the point other than telling people.
"I've got a degree in maths"
"...riiiight...dip, anyone?"
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Goatboy wrote:
> [URL]http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/5930/samcooke1az.jpg[/URL]

hahaha

"Don't know much about history
Don't know much about biology
etc"
Regular
Your basic Sciences/Maths degree ends up as a certificate of intelligence and application, I reckon. It doesn't matter what your degree is, a good result (upper 2:1/1st) is seen as recognition of you being able to apply yourself. Not that I agree with this, because as far as I can tell, you can walk to a 2:1.

I'm not saying only people with degrees are intelligent or whatever else people are going to derive from what I just said.

Edit: But maths is balls, I had to do a stats module for my course and it's awful. I just want to cut up animals and plant seeds, me.
Thu 18/08/05 at 21:42
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
monkey_man wrote:
> "Don't know much about history
> Don't know much about biology
> etc"
--------

"Don't know much about history,
don't know much biology.
Don't know much about a science book,
don't know much about the french I took"
/pedant
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Don't really think there's any point taking a degree in maths - what you going to do after it? Become a Matchs teacher is about all you can do. Agreed Maths is a solid base for a lot of other subjects, Physics, Chemistry, Computing but on it's own its pretty useless
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I think an entire degree in it would kill me - there'd be hardly any practical, just:

Zzzzz = (maths + maths)11

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.