GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A-Level and AS Level Results"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/08/05 at 23:54
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
Hope it goes well for everyone

*gets nervous*
Fri 19/08/05 at 09:47
Regular
Tomm wrote:
> Lampeter?

Hmm, I did wonder at that, but thought it was some kind of "hip" young persons word for one of the universities. If its made up, then that explains the total strangeness about having 7 As and not getting accepted.

The point was more the maths stuff really.
Fri 19/08/05 at 09:44
I think he might possible have been joking

that's just a wild, out-of-the-blue guess, however
Fri 19/08/05 at 09:44
Regular
"the burning sky"
ssxpro wrote:
> lcarus wrote:
> but then things took a turn 4 the worst i rung up the univeritsy
> asking for confirming my place, but they said no!!!! i can't belive
> it! but its all sorted now - after minutes of jot then panicking i
> finally got a place thru clearing at university of Lampeter wooohooo
>
> That was what gave me that impression.

Lampeter?
Fri 19/08/05 at 09:38
Regular
lcarus wrote:
> It started off great, i went into the college hall where all the ppl
> and stuff were getting there results. Freinds were goin, "Your
> tyaking 7 A Levels???? YOu must be MADDDD" but here i was today,
> worked hard, and guess what? i got these results:
>
> Business Studies - A
> Psychology - A
> COmputers - A
> Sociology - A
> Media Studies - A
> Textiles, Technology and Surfing - A
> General Studies - A
>
> but then things took a turn 4 the worst i rung up the univeritsy
> asking for confirming my place, but they said no!!!! i can't belive
> it! but its all sorted now - after minutes of jot then panicking i
> finally got a place thru clearing at university of Lampeter wooohooo

That was what gave me that impression.
Fri 19/08/05 at 09:18
Regular
"the burning sky"
ssxpro wrote:
> Lastly, on a different note, Icarus, did you not get an offer from
> the university earlier in the year? I mean, if you got 7 As or
> whatever it was, then there's no way you could have failed to satisfy
> the offer conditions and if you did that the university has to honour
> its offer and accept you on the course. Was there no offer, or did
> you have to do a step paper or something?

Isnt Icarus already at Uni? Manchester I believe...
Fri 19/08/05 at 08:48
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> Yeah, it's always bothered me because I couldn't see the point other
> than telling people.
> "I've got a degree in maths"

For those taking maths degrees, fear not!

From what I can tell, mathematics is one of the subjects that transforms the most as it expands in front of you. Friends on different degree courses describe their subjects as more detailed and with more depth than the A-level counterparts, often involving more complex methods, but the underlying threads are often the same. Maths, however, has transformed completely as I've gone further and to such a point that if I describe what I'm doing now, people will either walk away with worried expressions on their faces or stare blankly before changing the subject completely. For example, is anybody else interested in Tracking Control with Prescribed Transient Behaviour for Nonlinear Systems of Known Relative Degree? Didn't think so (and if you just answered yes, I almost certainly know you or know of you).

monkey man was absolutely right earlier though, pointing out that maths is the basis for everything. The stuff I'm interested in appears irrelevant, but I could describe it differently with mention of possible applications to engine control systems for aircraft and spacecraft, or regulators for all sorts of things ranging from central heating to nuclear reactors. To be honest, many of us wouldn't actually know how, but that's where engineers come in. We make sure the maths will work, then they can adapt it to physical situations. For every machine and system created there is probably a mathematician somewhere behind the scenes.

Tomm earlier mentioned statistics as being a bad example of mathematics and at the early degree level I agree. It later involves far more "actual maths", though I'm still not keen. Unfortunately statistics and GCSE/A-level maths are what leave impressions in people's minds and that's one of the reasons the subject is misunderstood. Even Tomm's impression of Matrices and Algebra will change as his degree progresses.

For those doing maths degrees, some obvious jobs are accounting and financial work as well as actuarial studies, not just teaching maths. There are also plenty of opportunities in research, either with companies such as the MOD or in universities doing a PhD, post-doc and eventually becoming a lecturer. On the subject of actuaries though, a friend of mine graduated two years ago on his maths course and is earning £30,000 as an actuary and he's only done a few of the qualifying exams. If you can take the pressure, you can be earning over £100,000 p.a. after a few more years study and experience. Its admittedly a lot more than you earn in research like mine!

Lastly, on a different note, Icarus, did you not get an offer from the university earlier in the year? I mean, if you got 7 As or whatever it was, then there's no way you could have failed to satisfy the offer conditions and if you did that the university has to honour its offer and accept you on the course. Was there no offer, or did you have to do a step paper or something?
Fri 19/08/05 at 00:27
Regular
SHEEPY wrote:
> And wait two years.
>
> Don't worry, I'll come and be a 'special' friend to you. You and
> munn, in a bun.

Stay away from me you FREAK.
Fri 19/08/05 at 00:21
Regular
"SOUP!"
English Lang - A
History - A
Media - A
Gen studies - C

FFF(anyone else doing eng lang), how did you do on the editorial? I got about 50 on it, stupid Ibiza/feminism :-(
Fri 19/08/05 at 00:09
"period drama"
[URL]http://www.fortunecity.com/village/jamesdean/727/twins1.jpg[/URL]

The truth will out.
Fri 19/08/05 at 00:07
Regular
I think gamezfreak and FFF look like twins!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.