GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do I buy a PS2 just for San Andreas?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas'.
Sat 23/10/04 at 19:30
Regular
And maybe GT4, and any other games that are exclusively PS2?

Currently I think it's a ridiculous idea, but I really do want to play San Andreas and I don't want to have to wait a year or whatever to play it on my XBOX. My PC is ancient, and I do plan to update it to the max, but don't have that kind of money at the moment.

Your taunts of 'Grand Theft Auto games are crap' will fall on deaf ears - I'm a major fan of the series.

Your thoughts, or if you have any information at all about an xbox release that would be great.

Oh, and when is Halo 2 out?
Sun 24/10/04 at 14:49
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Yes, get a new one.

I've had two PS2s since the release and they've all broke within a year. My silver one is great though, and I have 1 years warranty.
Sun 24/10/04 at 15:46
Regular
"8==="
I got hold of the double-pack on release and I've spent about 2 hours on GTA.

That's about it.

Perhaps if they've fixed the aiming and refined such things as the driving and added a lot more detail then it might be good.

Otherwise it'll be a rather large, wafer-thin, arcadey and distinctly average game.

If I want to kill people and take their money I can do with much more freedom and fun in Morrowind and with much more style in Thief: Deadly Shadows.

If the Hitman series tried to do a large city where you could wander round then I'd be interested. GTA's a weaker version of that nice idea.
Sun 24/10/04 at 16:28
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
The PS2s I've owned stopped working and then even with the PS1 before it, I got through about 4 of those.

Sony seem to have real shoddy quality consoles when it comes to reliability. A few sources even mentioned how Sony add the replacements as normal sales. That doesn't surprise me to be honest, cause going by a lot of their sales figures, every household in Japan should have like 4 consoles each.

As for the performance, I'm not too impressed by the console. Most of its top titles look half decent, but the other games that "fill the gaps" tend to be bloody awful. I got the DVD for the last E3 show and watched the game previews and a good 90% of the PS2 line up looked practically like PS1 standard. Amazing how developers are allowed to get away with putting that kinda stuff out with a full price tag.

Theres the odd game I'd like to play on the PS2, I just refuse to pay out for the console just for them though when the XBox is always providing me with loads of great games that I enjoy. This will get me laughed at, but I'd like to try that Dogs Life game. Hey at least I didn't buy the console just for the game though. ;-))
Sun 24/10/04 at 16:32
Regular
My PS2 died on me about a year after I got it. But then, so did my XBOX only 6 months after I got it. Luckily it was still under warranty and I got a nice shiny new one.
Sun 24/10/04 at 16:55
Regular
I'm just renting the Double Pack at the moment, and I'm about half way through GTA3 Story Mode. Playing it again reminds me why I love the GTA Series so much, but the xbox version seems to have a lot of flaws. It's mainly the targeting system that annoys me. On the PC, it was non-existent as you could aim freely with the mouse, but on the Xbox it often tagets the wrong person or just doesn't target anyone, and it's very innacurate even when you shoot them.

Anyway, the main problem is that the disc is scratched beyond belief [What the hell do some people do to the discs ?] This seems to cause problems with the custom soundtracks, but there's also major pop-up, which might not be down to the disc. And the game sometimes seems to forget to render certain things until it's too late. The same goes for Vice City, except it actually makes the game kind of unplayable, with it constantly switching between 1st and 3rd person viewpoints, and other weird glitches.

Still, I intend to finish both before San Andreas arrives on Thursday. Can't wait :D
Sun 24/10/04 at 17:27
Regular
Come on, it won't be that great.

GTA3 is still the best. Look how big they're trying to make this one - it's ridiculous.
Sun 24/10/04 at 18:35
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Mav wrote:
> Come on, it won't be that great.
>
> GTA3 is still the best. Look how big they're trying to make this one
> - it's ridiculous.

No it isn't.

Rockstar are listening to the fans this time, they've tried their hardest to include everything that was on everyone's wishlist to impress.

And they have, if they didn't add all of these new features im sure you'd be saying things like "Its just Vice City with a new map, nothing special" so I think you should be happy that they're including all of these new features.
Sun 24/10/04 at 18:38
Regular
No. I think they're taking the series in the wrong direction entirely.

The fans don't know what they want. Let's face it, they're not games designers and most can't appreciate anything that doesn't involve guns and violence.

San Andreas is moving towards a dull, bigger equals better approach. They did it with Vice City and it failed. They need to get back to the roots of the series, think about why GTA3 was so great and build the gameplay from there.

The level design in Vice City proved that they obviously couldn't handle its size, so what are they going to do with something four times larger?

"There'll be loads of different terrains; deserts, trees..."

I rest my case.
Mon 25/10/04 at 00:55
Regular
"Gamertag Number 10"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> My PS2 died on me about a year after I got it. But then, so did my
> XBOX only 6 months after I got it. Luckily it was still under
> warranty and I got a nice shiny new one.

Hey that happen'd to me too my ps2 broke down and im getting an xbox.
Mon 25/10/04 at 06:55
Regular
Don't know if you've decided yet, but I'd advise against buying a console just for GTA. Borrow a friend's if you can, or even buy one and take it back within the return period.

Luckily for me, I'll just take back the one I gave to my sister. She can have it back in a few Months :D

But seriously, as much as you like GTA, Halo 2 is out soon (OMFG) and that should eat enough time up anyway!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.