GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do I buy a PS2 just for San Andreas?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas'.
Sat 23/10/04 at 19:30
Regular
And maybe GT4, and any other games that are exclusively PS2?

Currently I think it's a ridiculous idea, but I really do want to play San Andreas and I don't want to have to wait a year or whatever to play it on my XBOX. My PC is ancient, and I do plan to update it to the max, but don't have that kind of money at the moment.

Your taunts of 'Grand Theft Auto games are crap' will fall on deaf ears - I'm a major fan of the series.

Your thoughts, or if you have any information at all about an xbox release that would be great.

Oh, and when is Halo 2 out?
Sat 23/10/04 at 20:33
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Oh yeah, persuasion factors:

4-6 times bigger than VC.
150 missions (3 times longer than VC)

Plus all the other cool stuff.

Might I suggest you [URL]http://fivestarstuff.com/list.htm[/URL]

Seeing as many of you daren't venture into our abyss of a PS2 forum.
Sat 23/10/04 at 20:33
Regular
"Remember me?"
I don't think I've ever listened to anything other than my own music and the chatshow radio stations on GTAIII and Vice City.
Sat 23/10/04 at 20:36
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I still prefer GTA3 to Vice City, but San Andreas looks awesome. The new videos on IGN show some insane 'insane jumps'.

Oh, I've already got a PS2 and Xbox, so I guess that doesn't help you really...although you'll be the talk of the town if you get one of those new slinky PS2s.
Sat 23/10/04 at 21:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Why buy a console for one new game, and one that isn't coming out for months....?
Sun 24/10/04 at 11:45
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Try to resist the temptation. I've made the mistake of buying a console just to play one game before. Then after that I bought a bunch of other games, not so much because they were amazing titles I wanted, but more just for the hell of it for the sake of having more games on it.

After beating the game I wanted to play, I was left thinking "Why did I buy all this crap !? Could have spent it on games and stuff that I actually wanted !"

Then of course with the thing getting in the way all the time when I went back on my XBox, it ended up getting traded in for nowhere near the money I actually spent.

It really isn't worth it. Sure, GTA: SA might have a few improvements, but its not like its taking a big step up. It'll sell because of all the gangsta wannabes around that pray to god before they goto bed that they'll wake up black.

Think you need to look at the PS2s upcoming line up and see if theres other games you honestly want. What you have to think of is with you being a GTA fan - will you buy it again for XBox when it comes out if its better ? Even minor things like improved graphics and a couple of features ?

If you think you would then that underlines that the PS2 will just collect dust and be a waste of money. Theres loads of games coming out on the XBox and this extends beyond Christmas. As for games like Killzone and the GT series, these are ok, but I don't think they warrant a reason to buy the console. Killzone has just become a failed attempt to be a Halo beater and Forza Motorsport will more than give GT a run for its money because its more indepth with the customization (not to mention car damage, etc).

I really like GTA too, but overall, yeah its bigger and stuff, but what is really changing about the core gameplay ? It hasn't really made a graphical advance really, its just another set of missions with a couple of little touches like playing basketball (which I wouldn't be surprised to see end up as a short lived feature).

My opinion - save the money for XBox games instead and get the better version of GTA: SA when it comes out on the console.
Sun 24/10/04 at 11:59
"I love yo... lamp."
What Sav wrote.

I'm not a big fan of GTA myself. But as so many are, Rockstar will almost certainly release it on the Xbox fairly quickly. And it will likely be better.

There aren't many PS2 exclusive games that I would want, most of the decent exclusives are RPGs and stuff that don't appeal to me, like Disgaea.

Gran Turismo 4 isn't a reason to buy a new/find my old PS2. It doesn't look any more promising than Forza Motorsport and it lost the online mode. And it got pushed back into 2005 anyway.

I say skip buying a PS2 just now and just use the £100 you've saved to get PES4 and KOTOR2. You'll be busy for months.
Sun 24/10/04 at 12:01
Regular
"Gamertag Number 10"
You want to change for an ps2 so do it ps2 is crap and bad graphics.
Sun 24/10/04 at 13:22
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
I've got both.

I did have all three consoles a while ago, first I had just the 'Box and PS2 but I really liked the look of Harvest Moon so I bought a Gamecube.

It was alright but after a month I got bored of the game, there was no point having the 'Cube anymore becase im not really interested in any other 'Cube games. It was a waste, and I will never get a console again just for one game.

BUT.

Borat said he might be interested in the PS2 exclusives so he isn't just getting it for GTA San Andreas.

Borat, ignore XboxGamer. The PS2's graphics aren't crap, they might not be better than the Xbox's but they are still good.

Some PS2 exclusives :

Final Fantasy
Metal Gear Solid : Snake Eater
Ratchet and Clank
Jak 1, 2, 3 etc.

They're the only ones I can think of at the moment, theres loads more but I cant think of them.

I would definately get GTA SA on the Xbox if it came out the same time as the PS2 but I dopnt want to wait that long because im a VERY big fan of the series and want to play it when it's not old.

It looks like the Xbox version might not even be getting this GTA but if they do it wont come out until next year most probably.

I think you should get a PS2, it's cheap now, it's still got quite a few decent exclusives waiting to be released and im sure GTA will last me years.

You could always wait for the PSP but I dont think it'll sell that well, especially when the PS3 comes out.

And you know the games will never be as good as they are on the PS2.

Im not a PS2 fanboy, there are some bad points about the PS2 but im not gonna tell you them because they're nothing TOO bad and I want you to get one.

:D

Oh and get a Silver one or a Mini one.
Sun 24/10/04 at 13:51
Regular
"gametag:thebestbit"
Albino-Man wrote:
> Is San Andreas going to be set in the 80's, like Vice City? That
> sucked.

what you on boy??the 80's setting was great!
Sun 24/10/04 at 13:52
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Being a PS2 only owner myself, I would warn you that unless you find an amazingly cheap second hand console, buy first hand.

Personally I've had no problems for over 3 years, but I've heard stories of them failing over even a short period of time.

RARE, I might add, but if you get it first hand you've got a full guarantee/warranty.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.