GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"LONDON EXPLODED!!!1"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/07/05 at 10:18
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
EDIT: Just pointing out that this post was made long before it was confirmed as intentional explosions.

Well, it has according to Sky News, the news vulture network. Huge red banners and claxons fill your eyes and ears whenever you skip past that channel. From a more reliable source (BBC News), I see there have been power surges and small explosions, which naturally have affected services.

This quote made me chortle:

"As I walked through the bus station I could see people lying on the ground, black, as if they'd been covered in smoke."

Obviously an out-of-towner.

Enjoy your day off work millions of Londoners!
Page:
Fri 08/07/05 at 13:21
Regular
"..."
monkey_man wrote:
> Amazingly, my Mum and Aunt have decided to go shopping in London
> today. I know it's letting them win if we avoid certain places for
> fear of being bombed to bits, but still...

ACtually, to me it's not that stupid. Security will be tighter and more alert in the immediate wake of something like this, plus the terrorists will realise this and be more likely to strike somewhere else...
Fri 08/07/05 at 13:11
Regular
"Long time no see!"
The thing is, this was inevitable. It was going to happen at some point, we've all been waiting for it for the past four years, since 9/11.

It came at a time when no-one would've expected such a thing. It was totally out-of-the-blue - although now, you can see what it relates to... Now. Not before.

Instead of looking through 'Bible Codes' and all that nonsense, people should thought about this logically - and just maybe, MAYBE... they'd have got it right.

For the past seven days, our attention has been drawn all over the place.
First, there was Live 8. Then the 2012 Olympics vote. Now the G8 summit.

For the first time in 4 years, NOBODY is paranoid about the possibilities 'terrorist attack'. The perfect time to strike, when our defences are more content on keeping people away from all the chin-wagging up in Scotland and no doubt all the brown envelopes and dark suitcases to go with it...

But if you ask me, this is only the start of something. Whoever it was, presuming it was Al-Qaeda (in some form), how does this compare on a scale to the attacks on the famous Twin Towers.

If you ask me, this has only hit London - what about the rest of the country? Do people really care all that much? Not everyone. Must people I've seen or spoken to seem quite comfortable right now.

They're gonna hit us all where it really hurts, sooner or later. And once again, the most important factor will be, that we weren't expecting it.
Fri 08/07/05 at 10:23
Regular
"Laughingstock"
The politicians are calling it an atrocity, uncivilized and cowardly - which it was.
But what irritates me is the "shock and awe" bombing of Iraq was also an atrocity, uncivilized and cowardly - yet one lot are "evil terrorists" and the other lot are... what? knights in shining armor.
Fri 08/07/05 at 09:30
Regular
Good for them Monkey!

EDIT: Didn't mean that in a sarcastic way, by the way. Just wanted it to mean that it's good that people are getting on with things as normal.

Just wanted to clear that up.
Fri 08/07/05 at 09:02
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Amazingly, my Mum and Aunt have decided to go shopping in London today. I know it's letting them win if we avoid certain places for fear of being bombed to bits, but still...
Fri 08/07/05 at 09:00
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Your Honour wrote:
> Trains are up and running, as normal. And the one out of my town,
> which goes into Liverpool St. looked just as busy as normal.

Excellent, I'm going to southampton today.
Fri 08/07/05 at 08:16
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> If the trains are running tomorrow I expect no bags/hand luggage etc
> will be allowed on.

Never going to work.

Trains are up and running, as normal. And the one out of my town, which goes into Liverpool St. looked just as busy as normal.

Good to see people getting back to normal as soon as they can.
Fri 08/07/05 at 08:14
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> I get the feeling this could just be a warning.
> I mean ... as bad as it is / was ... it could have been a hell of a
> lot worse, very easily.

You don't put 6 bombs (or whatever the final figure was) on the underground, in rush hour, unless you want to kill people.

The reason that more people probably didn't die could be down to how packed the tube is that time of the morning. I.e. the few bodies around the bomb absorbed most of the blast, leaving people further down the carriage relatively un-harmed.
Fri 08/07/05 at 04:13
Regular
Heavy day.

I'd been holed up in my flat working on an assignment all day, no contact with the outside world. I go for a walk some time in the late afternoon to take a break, and I was walking past an Asian family. Two of the 3 adults were kind of staring at me very oddly, I was paranoid about my appearance :^S
I smiled at them both and walked on without a clue what was going on.

Must be a hell of a position to be in though, some crazy crap like today happens and all of a sudden you have to watch your back, just becuase your face doesn't fit. But in this kind of area it's all too believable that a lot of lowlife idiots would give people trouble.
Fri 08/07/05 at 02:10
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Wow, what an absolutely bizarre day. Am in here in lovely Southampton and have been for a few days, travelled up on Wednesday morning for an Oasis gig at the Rosebowl, and very enjoyable it was too. Inf act, yesterday was a pretty top day all round: started the morning with some nice news about Steven Gerrard, heard about the Olympics on the coach there and finished the day with a fantastic gig by my favourite band ever.

And then came Thursday.

Was woken up by a text from a mate downstairs who informed me that 'the entire underground was shut because of bombs'. Thinking she was exaggerating a bomb scare or two, I came down to see the events unfold on the TV, and was more and more shocked with everything I saw. Was quite worried at first because I have friends who live in London, and use those lines every morning and I had no idea if they were okay or not. Thankfully they all work at stupid times - some ridiculously early, others don't start til the afternoon, so everyone I knew was fine (one friend of mine was at Edgware Road at the time, but from his question 'did you do it?' I guessed he was okay). Once I knew everyone was fine I just sat and gawped at the telly for a few hours, taking in the gravity of the situation.

Coaches into and out of London were all cancelled indefinitely and I had to make my friend drive for 45 minutes to the coach station, only to be told that they weren't running, and have to drive all the way back. I'm guessing tomorrow will be a bit of a lottery as well, even once I get back into London, I don't actually live there any more so I have to get out again, which could be a logistical nightmare, depending which lines are running.

It's absolutely amazing just how many people these attacks affect - I'm out here in Southampton and it's affected me, likewise I'm sure with hundreds and thousands of others who rely on public transport in, out of or around London.

I can't be bothered to go into great detail about my personal feelings on the bombings themselves, as I've discussed it in great length with people today, but needless to say, as I'm going to be living in London from September, it's a terrifying prospect to think there might be suicide bombers roaming the underground or getting on London buses. As much as I don't want it to be true, fear is definitely the terrorists' best weapon and god damn, if they don't know how to use it.

By the way, I haven't read through this thread fully, so if anyone has lost anyone or was directly affected by the blasts then I'm sorry if this sounds a little self-centred - I've got a bed for the night and a way home - it's just general splurge on how today went for me.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.