GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sciene and religion"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/06/05 at 15:43
Regular
For some people it's straight forward, for some they're not bothered and those who can't decide (Agnostics), because I find that each of the topic need more info :

Science
1.The Big Bang Theory - a logical idea, but where does the all the matter in the univrse come from in the first place? Which is compressed in very small space and then exploded.

2.How did the first creatures came into existence out of a stable environment?

3.How did the Big Bang created resources on earth?
e.g metal ores, soil, etc

Religion
1.How did God appear in existence and then create life; perhaps something else created God?

2."God love and care" for people, yet if bad things happen to good people why doesn't God do something about it.

3.How does religion explains the end of life when the sun turns into a red giant and explodes creating a black hole and sucking anything near it?

Which leads me to conclude on my theory that:
God created Earth and all life, then let the people to decide whether they believe in God or not.
Assuming God is in existence, God thought about what life materials life would need and created them within Earth?
The end of life when the sun enlarges and the explodes, perhaps too many people sinned? God did not intend for life to carry on?

Any ideas?
Thu 30/06/05 at 16:45
Regular
Oh well. I'm a christian. Not a die hard one though. I don't know how he manages it but he manages to turn every good start to the day into a bad day. And every bad start a good day. I'm not sure if that makes any sense to you people though. Take today for instance. I woke up and realized.

a) My coursework was due in today.

b) I was going to find out the results of my maths SATS which I thought I had flopped on.

c) I felt sick.

d) I got drenched on the way to school.

Now I'm happy as God himself. Don't know how he does it really.
Thu 30/06/05 at 15:48
Regular
Thanks to people who replied.
Simon Says you 2nd form last paragraph is an interesting opinion.
Been busy to reply.
Thu 30/06/05 at 15:22
Regular
"I ush!"
I don't usually comment on these sorts of things, but I'm really trying to avoid work today so I will comment on this one. I did do Physics so I knew my stuff, but that was a fair few years ago now so the details might be a little sketchy.

>Science
>1.The Big Bang Theory - a logical idea, but where does the all the matter >in the univrse come from in the first place? Which is compressed in very >small space and then exploded.

There are two big questions. Where the universe began and where it will end. If we accept the big bang theory for now we have three options for the end. They are that the universe expands until it eventaully settles down and stops at some limit, that it expands forever or that it eventually starts to contract and ends up in a big crunch. If the third is the case then it is likely that there have been numerous big bangs and big crunches in the past. One lecture we did actually go through the math to try to calculate what could happen but I don't clearly remember the outcome. Sorry. I do remember that there is no way to find out or predict what came before the big bang, if indeed there was a before. Don't forget that time is a temporal dimension and therefore has to start somewhere!

> 2.How did the first creatures came into existence out of a stable
> environment?

This is more of a biology question so I'm not sure but I dare say that "life" began as single celled organisms. Not consciousness, no organs, effectively just a bag of chemicals. This then turned to multiple cells, which then developed some sort of sensory perception, even if it's just some sort of osmotic effect. So I guess my answer is very slowly!

> 3.How did the Big Bang created resources on earth?
> e.g metal ores, soil, etc

I also remember a lecture on this. I don't remember it too well though because it was at the end of the semester and the lecturer rushed it to get it in. The inference was that this subject matter would not be on the exam (except the points he stressed) and so I didn't revise it heavily. Anyway, the lecture went on about how the big bang happened and after x miniscule amount of time such and such a force existed, and after x a tiny bit more time such and such a force existed. Gravity I think was one of the last forces to come into existence, before that was the electro-magnetic force. I think before that there was a strong nuclear force which is the glue that holds stuff together (i.e. the reason the repellent electromagnetic force between the protons in a nucleus don't push it apart). At this stage there are no atoms as such, there are probably quarks and stuff like that. Quarks are wierd. By swapping quarks around you can change what things are . They come in six flavours. Up down charmed strange top and bottom. They all have different charges and spins and stuff, and together they make the baryons (protons and nuetrons). eg a proton is two up and one down quarks, and a neutron is two down and an up quark. Anyway, they're the building blocks of the universe and you can use them to make, well, stuff. So these things start interacting and soon you get protons and nuetrons and electrons in a big plasma. Then you start to get atoms, starting with hydrogen. So, because on the Electromagnetic force we get atoms and because of the gravitational force we start getting big balls of it. Once the pressure gets high enough inside these big balls of hydrogen we get stars, which start releasing energy which causes atoms to split up and join together and make other things, like the metal ores you're talking about. I don't remember exactly but I think any element with an atomic mass greater that 26 (iron) probably had to be made in the core of a star, because that's the only place we know of that has enough energy present. I might be wrong though, 63 is in my head too for some reason.

I'm not religious. I believe religion can be a good thing in some cases. I think it's human nature to want to believe that there is something more than this. I think that if people can use religion as a crutch and use it to support them then that's a good thing. I also believe religion to be a tool created by man to control the general people. Religion has all the answers, which is why I don't believe in it. These answers often contradict each other, and it's also frowned upon to question religion. It's all very well to say that there is an intangible force that is the answer to all questions. If that's the case we might as well stop asking questions right now! Perhaps that's a good thing, otherwise I might be asking why can't I steal some food if I'm hungry, or to screw my next door neighbour's wife or kill anyone who looks at me funny on the subway. It's a very convenient answer to all of these difficult questions about morality. "Because if you do, when you die the intangible force will make you suffer for your actions." so perhap religion was necessary when society began to develop. Maybe, like in bugs life, the bigger, stronger crickets needed a greater threat of force to subdue the weaker but more numerous ants. Maybe the powerful and wealthy need religion to control the peasants, and hey, if you want to remarry and so don't like any of the religions we have already why not make your own up?

Someone mentioned there are problems with studying a system that you're part of. They're right. Your biggest problem is that you're not being objective. Your theory that god created the earth, and god thought about what we needed for life is ropey. When the solar system was being created we had a load of big lumps of inhospitable rock spinning round the sun, which provided heat to all the big lumps of rock. On Mercury it was blooming mafting, all the water boiled off sharpish. On Mars there is evidence suggesting that there once was water, but not any longer. The two most likely planets to carry life at that point were Venus and Earth, but Earth was the one that got water in liquid form at the crucial moment, which allowed life. Venus didn't. It boiled away too quickly. It does now but it has all evapourated, creating a huge green house effect and an environment where is rains acid nearly all the time (water vapour is the #1 green house gas, you know!). This makes venus very inhospitable as far as we're concerned. You could say why didn't venutian life evolve and adapt to venus climate. Well, the answer would be too much, too fast. Life evolves very slowly and big, harsh changes to the environment would stifle it all along. Water is also very important for chemical synthesis too,so without liquid water it's difficult to make potential building block for life to lay a foundation. The reason I sited the guy talking about studying a system that you're a part of, is that you're looking at life, the end result as being somehow intended. How many other planets are there that have no life? I'm suggesting that there are very special conditions for life to begin, and the fact they happened here was a fluke. Without that though, you wouldn't be asking the question. I also think that it's human nature not to want to feel like your existence is an accident (and not the drunken, hormonally fuelled, chav chavette type).

Religion was devised years ago based on the knowledge then. When science brought that into question, religion ummed and arred and at best changed it story slightly (or alot) and at worst had science hung drawn and quartered (In the name of god though, so it's okay ;) ). First the earth was flat, we were at the centre of the universe with the sun, stars and planets circling us and so on and so forth. All of this sounds very neat, and is a big boost to our egos and gives us a sense of worth and a feeling of purpose. Nature doesn't work that way though. Nature works using the suck it and see approach, randomly bumbling through and making lots of mistakes along the way. The way life evolves and even the fact there is life itself is one of those mistakes. We don't need a creator. We don't need a purpose. We don't need a why, who what or when. We just are.

Ironically, something tells me that this may be in contract to KHoldon, who is a newbie and has made but one post, to which he or she has not replied. I believe that KHoldon does have a creator. I don't know what the nature of this creator is. Whether he or she be good or evil, but I do believe that KHoldon was created with a purpose of dragging up this whole Religion versus Science debate again, and the creator is simply going to sit back, watch and chuckle.

If there is a God, I wonder if he or she is sitting back, watching and chuckling quietly to him or herself right now.

Fin.
Thu 30/06/05 at 14:52
Regular
"bot"
Some people don't like to accept that Christ probably looked like an evil middle-eastern terrorismist!!!! so if he was an alien it'd probably create anarchy.
Thu 30/06/05 at 14:47
Regular
"the burning sky"
Rai wrote:
> If an alien landed on our planet, it would send religion into mass
> chaos. It contradicts so many things.

Or it'd be seen as the second coming of christ. There's nothing stopping god being an extra-terrestrial. Think about it an alien race could be so advanced, we're a creation of theirs...
Thu 30/06/05 at 14:39
Regular
"bot"
Ant wrote:
> Yeah, I've seen loads of hippos with tales like a "tapered tree
> trunk," and of course, all crocodiles breathe fire don't they!?

As do all dinosaurs, of course.
Thu 30/06/05 at 14:39
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
If an alien landed on our planet, it would send religion into mass chaos. It contradicts so many things.
Thu 30/06/05 at 14:35
Regular
"Anger leads to hate"
Meah, each to their own either way, but..

How about extra terrestrial life then. Do you believe in that? And should it exist, were would your beliefs lie then? Or is that another topic alltogether....
Thu 30/06/05 at 14:07
Regular
"I like cheese"
J Nash wrote:
> Ant wrote:
> EDIT - [URL]http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/dinos.shtml[/URL]
>
> There you go. Leviathans and Behemoths.
>
> Actually, the "Behemoth" sounds more like a Hippo than a
> "brachiosaurus" and the Leviathan just sounds like a
> Crocodile.

Yeah, I've seen loads of hippos with tales like a "tapered tree trunk," and of course, all crocodiles breathe fire don't they!?

Anyway, it doesn't matter. This argument surfaces over and over and in the end the only conclusion that we come to is that nobody really knows. For a start my belief is completely based on faith, not on facts, so it would be impossible for any of you to argue against me. :P
Thu 30/06/05 at 12:22
Regular
Ant wrote:
> EDIT - [URL]http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/dinos.shtml[/URL]
>
> There you go. Leviathans and Behemoths.

Actually, the "Behemoth" sounds more like a Hippo than a "brachiosaurus" and the Leviathan just sounds like a Crocodile.

Besides, why would Dinosaurs have been around in 1473 BC?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.