GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The hardest thing to do in the world...ever!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/05/05 at 11:11
Regular
"lets go back"
Go and grab yourself a guitar of any description and play the intro to All My Life by the FooFighters. Basically its just a G power chord but if you're rubbish at playing the guitar just play a G note. Listen to the song for the rhythm if you dont know it.

Now for the hard part.

Try singing along to it. Doesnt sound hard but it is. Singing and playing it at the same time is nearly impossible. It makes Dave Grohl even more of a ledgend IMO.
Thu 26/05/05 at 21:15
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Lord Funk wrote:
> If thumb and claw refers to playing with your hand, then it will only
> restrict you in that the sounds is not as clear as playing with a
> pick

> And your hand has a tendeancy to brush against the other strings,
> especially noticeable when playing through an Amp. If you get good at
> it then this obviously won't happen.

I know when I get it wrong, as you say, cos the amp picks it up. I'm pretty good it at it though, so you rarely hear a mistake after I've warmed up for a couple of minutes.

Besides I like this slightly impure sound. It shows that it's being played, not generated, plus mistakes with getting patterns wrong from fingering has helped me create some good riffs of my own.

> I hope I got the right thing and haven't waffled for nothing

Nope. Right thing.
Thu 26/05/05 at 21:14
Regular
True, but your hand isn't really as well adapted as the pick in terms of playing notes clearly. Some of the faster paced finger techniques are harder to distinguish between

The pick can be particularly fiddly for some songs, and I prefer using my hand for playing a lot of notes and bars quickly

However you do need to learn with the pick ... I suppose the alternative would be to grow your thumb and index finger nails though
Thu 26/05/05 at 21:13
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Memorandum! wrote:
> Starting off with quite difficult stuff isn't too much of a problem.
> Obviously the solos are going to be well beyond you, but the rhythm
> shouldn't if you get your alternate picking up to scratch. Look up
> finger and picking exercises as well as playing from tabs. Building
> good finger strength and independence is absolutely essential if you
> want to progress quickly.

Alternating is proving to be a bit tricky. I've got strong forearms and wrists, but it's not helping much. I simply can't move my hand quickly enough to play some of the stuff I want to.
Thu 26/05/05 at 21:11
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I've always noticed just playing with nails, edge of finger or main part of thumb each produce different sounds. I just find it irritatingly hard to pick with a pick. Atleast with 4 digits I can be in four places at once, so I can play more complicated patterns more quickly.
Thu 26/05/05 at 21:11
Regular
If thumb and claw refers to playing with your hand, then it will only restrict you in that the sounds is not as clear as playing with a pick

And your hand has a tendeancy to brush against the other strings, especially noticeable when playing through an Amp. If you get good at it then this obviously won't happen.

I hope I got the right thing and haven't waffled for nothing
Thu 26/05/05 at 21:05
Regular
"bot"
it depends on the style you want to play!
if the thumb and claw is what you like, go for it mate, cheers.
Thu 26/05/05 at 21:02
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I far prefer using the "thumb and claw" technique for picking.

Will this restrict my future ability in anyway?
Thu 26/05/05 at 20:59
Regular
"bot"
Chr1s wrote:
> I decided to start at the deep end with some Metallica, which turned
> out to be a crap idea as the majority of it's rather tough. Didn't
> really feel like starting with anything simpler like Blink 182
> because I detest it.

Starting off with quite difficult stuff isn't too much of a problem. Obviously the solos are going to be well beyond you, but the rhythm shouldn't if you get your alternate picking up to scratch. Look up finger and picking exercises as well as playing from tabs. Building good finger strength and independence is absolutely essential if you want to progress quickly.
Thu 26/05/05 at 20:57
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Absolutely. I've always found that motivation and inspiration has been the key. I'm off to Download in a few weeks, if that doesn't motivate me to get better then I might as well sell the guitar.
Thu 26/05/05 at 20:54
Regular
"bot"
I'm self-taught and I can play fairly difficult stuff.
All it takes is perseverance and motivation. Most of the time fast stuff isn't as hard as it sounds.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.