GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life 2 Patch"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Sat 20/11/04 at 15:09
"Shotgun+Zombie=Mess"
When is one likely to be released?

You can list any bug fixes you'd like to see included and general half life 2 errors chat.
Mon 22/11/04 at 14:50
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Tyla wrote:
> Massivley outperforms the 6800U in all aspects of HL2 from the
> benchies currently doing the rounds. COme to mention it, the X800 Pro
> just pips the 6800U in most of the HL2 tests, but only by about
> 2-5fps!
>
> [URL]http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/half-life.html[/URL]

*shrug* :)
Mon 22/11/04 at 14:41
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
> Oddly enough though, it may be ATi users moaning, but they're still
> thrashing the benckmark pants of anything nVidia have to offer!
>
> Heh. Never mentioned the relevant speeds of the cards in the
> slightest.
> I take it you're an Ati user? ;)

Personally: X800XT PE

Massivley outperforms the 6800U in all aspects of HL2 from the benchies currently doing the rounds. COme to mention it, the X800 Pro just pips the 6800U in most of the HL2 tests, but only by about 2-5fps!

[URL]http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/half-life.html[/URL]
Mon 22/11/04 at 14:22
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Tyla wrote:
> Oddly enough though, it may be ATi users moaning, but they're still
> thrashing the benckmark pants of anything nVidia have to offer!

Heh. Never mentioned the relevant speeds of the cards in the slightest. I mean, anyone would think i'm shouting "Nvida are better than ATI!" from the rooftops.

Which I ain't.

I take it you're an Ati user? ;)
Mon 22/11/04 at 13:51
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Oh yeah, but the majority of people complaining that it makes the
> title unplayable seem to be ATI users.

If they're not using the 4.12's, then they will as the 4.10's are aweful and the 4.11's weren't optimized for HL2 unlike the 4.12's.

Oddly enough though, it may be ATi users moaning, but they're still thrashing the benckmark pants of anything nVidia have to offer!
Mon 22/11/04 at 13:46
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
cookie monster wrote:
> Well, even Ali is having problems and he is on an X800 XTPE.

Cookie - I thought your card counts as one as well??
Mon 22/11/04 at 12:36
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Tyla wrote:
> Pandaemonium wrote:
> Seems as if ATI card users are suffering a little more than NvIdia
> users from the looks of the posts so far.
>
> It's not strictly GFX card related, it's more to do with the way the
> game is managing system RAM with dumping the audio in and out.

Oh yeah, but the majority of people complaining that it makes the title unplayable seem to be ATI users. On mine, it's a slight irritation, but in no way in the slightest is it impossible to play. I might just have a higher tollerance though. ;)
Mon 22/11/04 at 12:30
Regular
I've tried downgrading to the older creative drivers (heard their drivers get worse as they go) but no luck.
Mon 22/11/04 at 12:18
Regular
Where did you find the AC97 betas?
Mon 22/11/04 at 12:00
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Seems as if ATI card users are suffering a little more than NvIdia
> users from the looks of the posts so far.

It's not strictly GFX card related, it's more to do with the way the game is managing system RAM with dumping the audio in and out.

It's affecting everyone no matter what based system they're on, though there seems to be an issue with AMD and the ATi 4.12 Betas atm as well.

The probalem does seem quite trivial, definatley a chaching issue, but from what I've read on Steam, it's more to do with the audio being streamed from the HDD/DVD instad of pre loading and how it';s accessing the system RAM. I've got around this a little by dropping the bit rate of the audio down to reduce the stream size, not ideal, but does the job ok for now.

Have found it a little annoying, made worse by the autosaving (which I really want to disable).

Some manufacturers have released new audio drivers to help with this too. Tjose using nForce Sounstorm can get hol dof the new audio Betas and there's a coupdl of AC97 betas floating abou too. Not sure about Creative.
Mon 22/11/04 at 11:34
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Seems as if ATI card users are suffering a little more than NvIdia users from the looks of the posts so far.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.