GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life 2 Patch"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Sat 20/11/04 at 15:09
"Shotgun+Zombie=Mess"
When is one likely to be released?

You can list any bug fixes you'd like to see included and general half life 2 errors chat.
Tue 23/11/04 at 14:02
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
ATi X800 Roxor...
Anyway.. found this today about the bug being patched:

* It occurs on both Intel and AMD CPUs of all speeds.

* It occurs on systems with 2+ GB of RAM although it appears to be worse for users with 512MB of RAM or less.

* It occurs on both ATI and NVIDIA video cards, including video cards with 256MB RAM.

* It occurs with multiple sound cards and chipsets, including the Sound Blaster Live!, Audigy, Audigy 2, NVIDIA SoundStorm, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Realtek, etc.

* It occurs after disabling sound in-game, disabling the sound card in device manager, and even after removing the sound card entirely.

* It occurs regardless of in-game screen resolution.

* It occurs for both CD/DVD installations and installations downloaded via Steam.

* It occurs on all supported versions of Windows including Windows XP Service Pack 2.

* It occurs on all supported versions of ATI CATALYST and NVIDIA ForceWare drivers, including the CATALYST 4.12 and ForceWare 67.02 beta drivers that contain optimizations for Source engine games.

* There are reports that lowering in-game texture detail and/or sound quality helps. I had to set texture detail to low before I noticed an improvement. This is unacceptable considering my system specs.

* This issue is not the result of the in-game auto-save feature as many people suggest. While the auto-saving may cause stuttering, the stuttering also occurs many times between auto-save points.

* The stuttering occurs in the same spot every time but only once per the loading of that level. I have recorded a 10 second demo that illustrates this. When executing the demo multiple times, the stuttering occurs every time in exactly the same spot. However, if while the level is loaded, you go back to the location of a previous stutter, it no longer occurs.

* According to some, this problem has existed as far back as the Half-Life 2 demos that were shown at E3. Indeed, if you go back and watch some of the footage, you can hear the audio stuttering as new scenes are loaded.

* The stuttering occurs in Half-Life: Source which has significantly less resources to manage than Half-Life 2.

* Vampire: The Masquerade, which is based on Half-Life 2's Source engine is also reported to have the same stuttering issues.

Patch shoul dbe out later today:

11/22/04 06:03:33 PM GMT
Just received the following email from Erik Johnson at Valve. The patch should come out no later than tomorrow.

We've found a fix for this problem, and we're planning on shipping it no later than tomorrow.

More info at: http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/
Tue 23/11/04 at 13:59
Regular
The X800 XT Platinum Edition was always better than anything Nvidia had to offer. Everyone judged the X800 cards on the crap Catalyst drivers released with the cards and there after. The 4.11 Catalyst drivers are a hell of a lot better than the 4.8 - 4.9 and 4.10 drivers.

Nvidia had optimised their drivers on release for the 6800 cards, ATI hadn't. Even then the potential of the X800 series was huge and it was still out-performing the 6800 for a lot of programs/applications.

Now the X800 XT Platinum Edition urinates on all ;)
Tue 23/11/04 at 13:26
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Tyla wrote:
> Personally: X800XT PE
>
> Massivley outperforms the 6800U in all aspects of HL2 from the
> benchies currently doing the rounds. COme to mention it, the X800 Pro
> just pips the 6800U in most of the HL2 tests, but only by about
> 2-5fps!
>
> [URL]http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/half-life.html[/URL]

Awesome!! Thats me playing at 4X AA and 8x AF at 1600x1200 - when my copy arrives, then...

*Sings happy ATI song*

Oh for the ATI people; I have ordered an arctic cooler rev 4 - will post overclocks as they happen... (currently maxed out at 508/558)
Tue 23/11/04 at 13:15
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I don't think it'll be a hoax, Vavle do know that people have been having problems, they've already fixed that fiasco with the validation thing, so a patch is inevatable. Whether it's today though, I'm not sure. I can't seem to find anything official.
Tue 23/11/04 at 13:00
Regular
It hasn't been released yet by all accounts. Currently sat at work on a break hoping it will get release today. Need a break from work and night school and aside from CS: Source I just can't be jacked to play anything at the moment, even the godly Rome: Total War.

It better not be some crazy hoax that it will be released today.
Tue 23/11/04 at 12:53
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah I'm slightly concerned about that as well.
Tue 23/11/04 at 12:08
"Shotgun+Zombie=Mess"
How big is the patch? I only have dial-up
Mon 22/11/04 at 20:39
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
At least im not getting the blue screen and the restarts anymore, the stuttering is only a minor pain in the ass.
Mon 22/11/04 at 18:25
Regular
Patch is out tommorow hopefully it fixes the problem and i'll finally be able to play it.
Mon 22/11/04 at 16:04
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
tigamilla wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> Well, even Ali is having problems and he is on an X800 XTPE.
>
> Cookie - I thought your card counts as one as well??

Mine has the 16 pipes but i had to go back to stock clocks until i can get my waterblock.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.