GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSP's solid sales start"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/12/04 at 21:45
Regular
PSP has pretty much sold out throughout Japan in contrast to Nintendo where DS's can be found everywhere.

Then again Nintendo shipped 1 million whilst the Sony shipped 200,000.

Sony continue their ploy of releasing a few to build up demand.

PSP is almost certain to succeed in Japan to some degree mainly because handhelds have always been appealing in Japan. It is the west Sony might struggle somewhat because sales for handhelds are nothing compared to console sales (GBA and GBA SP sales almost always eclipse console sales in Japan).

PSP failing to break the west will mean loss of third party support, which leads to loss of sales in Japan. Although I'm sure Sony's MP3 and video player will be an attractive western feature (or not, as i believe).

PSP Vs. DS is the ultimate battle of Graphics Vs. Gameplay. Not saying the PSP will fail on the gameplay front but here we are seeing this almost "revolution" in gameplay going head to head with a fantastic graphiced machine.

Nintendo are taking a risk, gambling. Which is nice and rather different as of late. The reason it hasn't been branded with the Gameboy label is that if the DS does not continue with its high sales and flops like Nintendo's other experimental console, the virtual boy, then a true Gameboy successor can be released.

Recent American and Japanese sales reports for the DS confirms my belief that the real winner of this handheld war will be the Gameboy Advance.
Thu 16/12/04 at 16:44
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Macintosh wrote:
> So, are you saying that game developers are putting PS2 games on DVD
> discs just for the hell of it?
>
> No I'm saying that they put them on DVDs when they have lots of FMV
> and uncompressed music.

(To Macintosh)

Did you fail to read what gerrid said the first time? The reason why PS2 games are on DVD's is because of FMV sequences and so forth.

The game itself probably only takes up about 1GB of space (this is PS2 games we're talking about here - I'd estimate PSP games would take up about 500mb)
Thu 16/12/04 at 16:30
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Macintosh wrote:
> So, are you saying that game developers are putting PS2 games on DVD
> discs just for the hell of it?

No I'm saying that they put them on DVDs when they have lots of FMV and uncompressed music.
Thu 16/12/04 at 16:25
"period drama"
When does PS2 games come into it?
If they're doing straight-ports of PSX games, they won't need 1.8 gigs of space, will they? Seeing as PSx games came on CDs.

Although, they will be able to put FFVII on 1 UMD thinger, instead of 4 CDs.
Thu 16/12/04 at 16:21
Regular
"and PC user"
gerrid wrote:
> The size of the disc really doesnt make a difference. Hardly any games
> would use the full 1.8GB of the disc, they'd probably only use a 10th
> of that, just like with the PS2. The only thing that really requires
> large amounts of space is uncompressed sound and video aka movies.

So, are you saying that game developers are putting PS2 games on DVD discs just for the hell of it?
Thu 16/12/04 at 16:14
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The size of the disc really doesnt make a difference. Hardly any games would use the full 1.8GB of the disc, they'd probably only use a 10th of that, just like with the PS2. The only thing that really requires large amounts of space is uncompressed sound and video aka movies.
Thu 16/12/04 at 16:12
"period drama"
No-one's debating that people want Ridge Racer and FF - of course they do, they're great games.

It's just that I don't think people will be too happy when you can't actually fight Emerald Weapon in one go without having the PSP plugged into the wall.
Thu 16/12/04 at 16:08
Regular
"and PC user"
Again, this very much depends on what you think most people want. I think most will want Ridge Racer, Devil may cry, and FF. And look at it this way, if a memory hungry game like GTA were to be ported to PSP, chances are they wouldnt have many problems making it fit thanks to that 1.8Gb UMD disc. I said the same about PS2 at launch, but so many people just thought DVD was for movies only. But now, how often do ya see a PS2 "CD" game - all the new stuff is DVD games. And the same is true now with PSP and DS.
Thu 16/12/04 at 16:00
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Macintosh wrote:
> Yea, but the existing PS2 game isn't portable.

The PSP doesn't seem all that portable either, if the battery life rumours are to be believed.
Thu 16/12/04 at 15:55
Regular
OK, somewhere.
But not somewhere good.

WHy would you play FFVII on a handheld?

WIth the appaling battery life that's already been shown (3 hours at the most when playing games like Ridge Racer), you're gonna have to play it loads of times, charging it up every time.

The toehr two, I guess, fine.

But 2 games.

Wow.
Thu 16/12/04 at 15:52
Regular
That leaves the PSP with Metal Gear Acid, Devil May Cry and re-vamped Final Fantasy VII.

Yeah no-where...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.