GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSP's solid sales start"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/12/04 at 21:45
Regular
PSP has pretty much sold out throughout Japan in contrast to Nintendo where DS's can be found everywhere.

Then again Nintendo shipped 1 million whilst the Sony shipped 200,000.

Sony continue their ploy of releasing a few to build up demand.

PSP is almost certain to succeed in Japan to some degree mainly because handhelds have always been appealing in Japan. It is the west Sony might struggle somewhat because sales for handhelds are nothing compared to console sales (GBA and GBA SP sales almost always eclipse console sales in Japan).

PSP failing to break the west will mean loss of third party support, which leads to loss of sales in Japan. Although I'm sure Sony's MP3 and video player will be an attractive western feature (or not, as i believe).

PSP Vs. DS is the ultimate battle of Graphics Vs. Gameplay. Not saying the PSP will fail on the gameplay front but here we are seeing this almost "revolution" in gameplay going head to head with a fantastic graphiced machine.

Nintendo are taking a risk, gambling. Which is nice and rather different as of late. The reason it hasn't been branded with the Gameboy label is that if the DS does not continue with its high sales and flops like Nintendo's other experimental console, the virtual boy, then a true Gameboy successor can be released.

Recent American and Japanese sales reports for the DS confirms my belief that the real winner of this handheld war will be the Gameboy Advance.
Tue 14/12/04 at 23:44
Regular
"everyone says it"
The DS is really really lovely to use.

:D
Tue 14/12/04 at 22:20
Regular
Those PS2 fans interested in a DS might want one I'd imagine.

I can't see a home console style take over in the handheld world though.

I hate it when people assume it's been done once it'll happen again. This is a very different ball park.
Tue 14/12/04 at 22:06
Regular
"the burning sky"
I fail to find any reason why a 'self-respecting' person who already owns a PS2, would want a PSP. Except that it looks 'cool'. One of my mates was quite interested in the DS but as soon as he saw a picture of the PSP, he said "screw that, this [the PSP] looks miles better". He fails to see that he can probably play most of the PSP's game catalogue on his PS2 already. Ahh well.
Tue 14/12/04 at 21:45
Regular
PSP has pretty much sold out throughout Japan in contrast to Nintendo where DS's can be found everywhere.

Then again Nintendo shipped 1 million whilst the Sony shipped 200,000.

Sony continue their ploy of releasing a few to build up demand.

PSP is almost certain to succeed in Japan to some degree mainly because handhelds have always been appealing in Japan. It is the west Sony might struggle somewhat because sales for handhelds are nothing compared to console sales (GBA and GBA SP sales almost always eclipse console sales in Japan).

PSP failing to break the west will mean loss of third party support, which leads to loss of sales in Japan. Although I'm sure Sony's MP3 and video player will be an attractive western feature (or not, as i believe).

PSP Vs. DS is the ultimate battle of Graphics Vs. Gameplay. Not saying the PSP will fail on the gameplay front but here we are seeing this almost "revolution" in gameplay going head to head with a fantastic graphiced machine.

Nintendo are taking a risk, gambling. Which is nice and rather different as of late. The reason it hasn't been branded with the Gameboy label is that if the DS does not continue with its high sales and flops like Nintendo's other experimental console, the virtual boy, then a true Gameboy successor can be released.

Recent American and Japanese sales reports for the DS confirms my belief that the real winner of this handheld war will be the Gameboy Advance.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.