GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSP's solid sales start"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/12/04 at 21:45
Regular
PSP has pretty much sold out throughout Japan in contrast to Nintendo where DS's can be found everywhere.

Then again Nintendo shipped 1 million whilst the Sony shipped 200,000.

Sony continue their ploy of releasing a few to build up demand.

PSP is almost certain to succeed in Japan to some degree mainly because handhelds have always been appealing in Japan. It is the west Sony might struggle somewhat because sales for handhelds are nothing compared to console sales (GBA and GBA SP sales almost always eclipse console sales in Japan).

PSP failing to break the west will mean loss of third party support, which leads to loss of sales in Japan. Although I'm sure Sony's MP3 and video player will be an attractive western feature (or not, as i believe).

PSP Vs. DS is the ultimate battle of Graphics Vs. Gameplay. Not saying the PSP will fail on the gameplay front but here we are seeing this almost "revolution" in gameplay going head to head with a fantastic graphiced machine.

Nintendo are taking a risk, gambling. Which is nice and rather different as of late. The reason it hasn't been branded with the Gameboy label is that if the DS does not continue with its high sales and flops like Nintendo's other experimental console, the virtual boy, then a true Gameboy successor can be released.

Recent American and Japanese sales reports for the DS confirms my belief that the real winner of this handheld war will be the Gameboy Advance.
Thu 16/12/04 at 15:50
Regular
Ridge Racer was crap on consoles, and Quake, like most FPS's, is overrated.

Gran Turismo is possibly the worst racing game ever invented, and GTA isn't going onto the PSP.

That leaves the PSP nowhere.

Bleh.
Thu 16/12/04 at 15:42
Regular
"and PC user"
The hard truth is, most people want things like GTA, GT, Quake, RR. If your console doesnt have them, few people will buy that console. It's already been proved in the home console zone, and now its set to happen all over again in the hand held market.
Thu 16/12/04 at 15:31
Regular
Dringo shut the hell up.
Thu 16/12/04 at 14:52
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> munn wrote:
>
> So if I made a thread in this forum dedicated to GTA's sales because
> those sales affect the Gamecube, it would be OK?
>
>
> Rigggghhhht.......
>
> No sales of GTA do not effect the Gamecube, but sales of the PS2
> would.

Yes it would.
Thousands of people bought PS2's as a direct result of GTA3, GTA:Vice City and GTA: San Andreas being released on it, thus it's related to Nintendo in competition.
Thu 16/12/04 at 09:35
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
Dringo wrote:
> PSP Vs. DS is the ultimate battle of Graphics Vs. Gameplay.

If i wanted to play a game using a pen I would play hangman it's cheaper
Gameplay Ho Ho Ho
Thu 16/12/04 at 09:22
Regular
"and PC user"
Tomoose wrote:
> I fail to find any reason why a 'self-respecting' person who already
> owns a PS2, would want a PSP. Except that it looks 'cool'. One of my
> mates was quite interested in the DS but as soon as he saw a picture
> of the PSP, he said "screw that, this [the PSP] looks miles
> better". He fails to see that he can probably play most of the
> PSP's game catalogue on his PS2 already. Ahh well.

Yea, but the existing PS2 game isn't portable.
Wed 15/12/04 at 22:39
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> What's the funking problem?

The problem is, is with your

"Oh look the PSP will fail, just like I predicted"

Attitude, it gets very irritating.
Wed 15/12/04 at 22:02
Regular
gamesfreak wrote:

> Was just saying, why write a post about it in here where most people
> are happy enough with their own consoles rather then bothering about
> others.

Perhaps it is something to do with the 8,0000 discussions that have occured on this board about the PSP Vs. DS... at least 12 topics have been made with that title.

Surly it would make sense to follow the outcome of this console war??? We've seen the sales of the DS, here are the sales of the PSP? What's the funking problem?
Wed 15/12/04 at 22:00
Regular
munn wrote:

> So if I made a thread in this forum dedicated to GTA's sales because
> those sales affect the Gamecube, it would be OK?
>
>
> Rigggghhhht.......

No sales of GTA do not effect the Gamecube, but sales of the PS2 would. So by all means make a post about the sales of the PS2, although this has been pointed out many times before.

I mean does it not annoy you when Cube-Europe post the sales of all consoles and not just the Gamecube. What where they thinking? I mean are they not aware only Nintendo exist in this world and Nintendo sales are great no matter what the competiton.
Wed 15/12/04 at 21:15
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Didn't you?

Not really no.

It doesn't interest me, I just found the concept of Sony releasing a handheld interesting. I'm not getting one.

Was just saying, why write a post about it in here where most people are happy enough with their own consoles rather then bothering about others.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.