GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh dear Oh dear all seems a bit familiar the DS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/12/04 at 16:24
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
What is going on with Nintendo I thought that after all these years of fobbing us off with inferior tripe that was graphically no better than a SNES game they have managed to pull it off again.

I have seen screens of Mario DS, some really ropey Ngage racer port and of the Ridge Racer game and they are shocking, no textures, blocky graphics and
no better than a first gen PS1 game.

Having seen a comparison between the DS ridge racer game and PSP ridge racer game there is only one your are gonna want to play on and it ain't the one with the gimmicey stylus.

Nintendo DS stands the (Dier System), this console was realised and produced in a year and it shows.
Thu 16/12/04 at 13:31
Regular
"and PC user"
ßulle†† wrote:
> Lots of people buying Ridge Racer doesn't mean it's good, it means the
> buyers are morons.

Without a base of users, you cant make much money. You need the machine to be popular so lots of people have one. Then you can make lots of games for them to buy, which makes money, and then starts to offer choice (type of game) to the customer. Without these things, the console will be a "minority" system, which results in less 3rd part support, less choice of games, and so on. A mean, as good as the G5 Macintosh is, knowbody who is serious about games would buy a G5 for that. It doesnt have strong enough support from the games industry, which means there are less games released for it compared with the more common place Pentium 4 PC. You may think RR buyers are all morons, but they cant be (too many of them), but the fact remains you need a popular machine to appeal to the most people, which is what PSP (like PS, and PS2) will do.

And its happened before. Nintendo and Sega were king of the home consoles. But then Sony took a new view, and provided buyers with something quite different, and more modern. Most people took this up, leaving Nintendo & Sega out inthe cold. Where are Nintendo and Sega now, compared with the 1980's? This kinda proves my point I think.
Thu 16/12/04 at 12:32
Regular
"gsybe you!"
T score 04 wrote:
> Dringo Wrote:
>
> I've said it once and I'll say it again the (to soon be) £50
> GBA system that plays simple games will win the handheld war.
>
> Simple games for simple people the backbone one Nintendo's handhelds

So says somebody who;

A) Can't use English correctly
B) Can't use a simple internet quoting system correctly
C) Believes simplicity is both stupid and idiotic
D) Form a cogent argument
Thu 16/12/04 at 12:29
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I laugh.

'Nintendo make rubbish/ugly/different ports/games and are always wrong' is about the sum of this argument.
Thu 16/12/04 at 12:15
Regular
Lots of people buying Ridge Racer doesn't mean it's good, it means the buyers are morons.
Thu 16/12/04 at 11:53
"Majestic"
 ßulle†† wrote:
> Yes, because Sony wouldn't dare to cash in on 1001 different PSP
> colours.

Or a load of PS2 ports...
Thu 16/12/04 at 10:28
Regular
"and PC user"
Reasons why PSP will be "better".

The games - lets not forget, large numbers of people turned their backs on things like Mario when PS was launched. You cant say games like Ridge Racer are , lots of people buy those games. So to say that Nintendo will have the better games is a delusion. People have already decided on PS and PS2, that they want things like Quake, GTA, GT, MGS, RR, and so on. The same story will be run out between the DS and PSP.

The graphics - the PSP screen shots are much better quality than DS. Game play may rank as number 1 concern, but graphics are not far behind in importance.

Multifunction - the ability to playback MP3, UMB movies, will appeal to a large number of people. I agree, not everyone will look for this stuff first, but some will. And I wonder how many buyers will be torn between DS and PSP, then discover the PSP can play MP3 and movies too. That might tip them towards the PSP.

Product image - yes, just like ipod, the PSP will have that "must have" advantage. Rather than being seen as some kind of cheap toy, this will be a quality, hi-tech product. And the high price hasnt stopped people buying the ipod (although, I do think its over priced).
Thu 16/12/04 at 10:15
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
This is classic, just classic. Yes, better graphics mean that the PSP will definitely be far superior and sell millions more units than the DS.
It's obvious really isn't it?

Still, each to their own. I'm going to be perfectly happy playing great innovative software on my lovely little DS rather than being ripped off for an over-priced portable PS1/2 with dull ports/franchises and a battery life shorter than Gary Coleman.

But it's got betta grafix and a big screen and can play MP3s!!!!

Assclown.
Thu 16/12/04 at 09:37
Regular
T score 04 wrote:
> The truth is that Nintendo are running scared, and so they should be
> they have had things to easy for to long in the handheld market and
> Joe Public deserve better not getting ripped off with warmed over
> products GBA and GBA SP same device different casing.

Yes, because Sony wouldn't dare to cash in on 1001 different PSP colours.
Thu 16/12/04 at 09:36
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
> If thats so, we did so many people buy it on the PS2? What I mean is
> that while Nintendo think things like Mario will protect their DS,
> thinking lots and lots (if not the marjority) of people want such
> games, in truth lots and lots of people (if not 90%) want things like
> Ridge Racer, MGS, and other titles that will be on PSP, and which
> people have already decided they "like", having bought them
> before on existing or legacy systems. Until now, it really has been a
> one horse race in the handheld sector, so people didnt have much
> choice. Give people the wider choice, and they will take it - as they
> did in the N64/PS battle.

I don't disagree with you on that. I'm no fanboy, but I honestly do believe Nintendo are still going to win on the 'Fun factor'. I also believe the PSP will sell by the bucketload, even if the games do turn out to be dire.

Finally, I believe you guys need to calm down a little. You're beginning to come across as trolling - and that's a no-no round here :P So you prefer PSP over DS. Good for you. there's no need to ram it down everyone's throats! I know you're not the only ones guilty of it. There's culprit's resident on the other side of the table, but hey, getting into an argument over a handheld console or two really isn't going to make a difference.

Hell, I can practically guarantee I'll have a PSP of my own, but I'm waiting until there's more choice on it, as the current crop doesn't interest me, whereas the DS Launch line-up is actually rather good!
Thu 16/12/04 at 09:17
Regular
"and PC user"
ßulle†† wrote:
> T score 04 wrote:
> All I can say is go to IGN and see a Ridge Racer PSP screen and a DS
> screen. I rest my case.
>
> Yes, but who actually gives a flying toss about Ridge Racer? It's
> crap through and through.
>
> Possibly one of the most mundane racing series' around.

If thats so, we did so many people buy it on the PS2? What I mean is that while Nintendo think things like Mario will protect their DS, thinking lots and lots (if not the marjority) of people want such games, in truth lots and lots of people (if not 90%) want things like Ridge Racer, MGS, and other titles that will be on PSP, and which people have already decided they "like", having bought them before on existing or legacy systems. Until now, it really has been a one horse race in the handheld sector, so people didnt have much choice. Give people the wider choice, and they will take it - as they did in the N64/PS battle.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.