GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh dear Oh dear all seems a bit familiar the DS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/12/04 at 16:24
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
What is going on with Nintendo I thought that after all these years of fobbing us off with inferior tripe that was graphically no better than a SNES game they have managed to pull it off again.

I have seen screens of Mario DS, some really ropey Ngage racer port and of the Ridge Racer game and they are shocking, no textures, blocky graphics and
no better than a first gen PS1 game.

Having seen a comparison between the DS ridge racer game and PSP ridge racer game there is only one your are gonna want to play on and it ain't the one with the gimmicey stylus.

Nintendo DS stands the (Dier System), this console was realised and produced in a year and it shows.
Sat 18/12/04 at 15:42
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Macintosh wrote:
> Where are Nintendo and
> Sega now, compared with the 1980's? This kinda proves my point I
> think.

Er....they are number one in the world in the "Video Game console" business. The Gameboy Advance is the number one system, plus they distribute the Gamecube (which is number two in TV Console sales world wide) and now they have the Nintendo DS Unit which is doing quite well with a target of 4 Million units to be sold before next easter.

Nintendo are very healthy...and swimming in success to be honest.

Plus just to add: The PSP does NOT have an analogue stick at all!! It is an "Analogue Disk" a little circle disk that slides around a circle groove, very unlike the Analogue sticks we are used to. It isn't angled when moved like an Analogue stick and isn't as comfortable as one either going by reports.
Sat 18/12/04 at 15:24
Regular
"-_-"
Macintosh wrote:
> Even with short battery life, PSP is going to beat DS hands down in
> terms of sales, and performance. Lets face it, short battery life
> didnt hold back the sucsess of the original Sony Discman in 1988.
>

Oh yeh and the sonydiscman was ermm...the first of its kind? did it have any rivals? no was it new and revolutionary? yes is the PSP? No

Oh and alot of people are going on about PSP's better graphics and saying thats what makes agood gamesconsole but they all seem to have PS2's....And im Sure gamecube has better graphics that the Ps2 so why do you have one?

You guys are dumb monkeys....DS looks fun...PSP looks shiney, itll be the cool gadget for all the freaking chavs.
Sat 18/12/04 at 14:39
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
> The result could be that more serious or
> older gamers (with more money) may go for PSP.

Yeah!

That way they get to play exact replicars of their PS2 games for 3 hrs and then have the power cut off because the batterries have run out.
Sat 18/12/04 at 13:12
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Macintosh wrote:
> These little features sound fun,

So touch screen, voice recognition and dual screen are just "little features". Back in the N64 days you were probably saying "Analog stick, true 3D, decent games - these little features sound fun but Sony are better".
Sat 18/12/04 at 13:08
Regular
Macintosh wrote:

>
> Yea, but Sony played this trick with the first PlayStation. They went
> for a slightly older age group. Without doubt, this lead to many more
> adult games than would have been released on Nintendo/Sega. Sony have
> made it cool for people of all ages to play games. Now this could
> happen again in the hand held market.

Playstation is still not all that "cool" but it was alright to play, after all you have it in your house, chat with your mates about it.

Being seen around town with a PSP is just sad! An I-pod is one thing but would you walk around the shops, sit on the beach with some pretty looking lasses around or go to the park and play on a PSP?

Handheld market is not the home console market, you'd be an idiot for thinking it is the same. The DS is also trying to appeal to a slightly older market as well as a younger one... it also appeals to hardcore gamers. This is a MISTAKE I've said it once and I'll say it again. The DS may do very well as a new fangled device and the PSP may sell well because it is a nice gadget.

But neither of them will set the world alight in terms of sales. Nah. Leave that to the GBA.
Sat 18/12/04 at 13:06
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
> These little features sound fun, but is that in its self a problem?
> Really, does it just give the idea out that its a "toy" for
> the yougest gamers only.

Eye-Toy?

Case closed.
Sat 18/12/04 at 12:22
Regular
Strafio wrote:
> I've seen pictures and articles mention it, how they had to stretch
> their thumb a bit. I think it's in the top left corner..
> It's not in the best of places but it's an analogue stick all the
> same.

It's to the lower right of the d-pad. That little black circle.
Sat 18/12/04 at 12:20
Regular
"and PC user"
Dringo wrote:
> How many older gamers do you see playing handheld games?
>
> I mean I was only down the pub the other day and half the pub had
> their gameboys in their hands because there is nothing
> "cooler".
>
> The DS can also play movies and music with the new adaption but not
> that it matters.
>
> The idea behind the DS is that it is new and fresh and will hopefully
> capture the imagination of the public.
>
> The PSP... well... isn't.

Yea, but Sony played this trick with the first PlayStation. They went for a slightly older age group. Without doubt, this lead to many more adult games than would have been released on Nintendo/Sega. Sony have made it cool for people of all ages to play games. Now this could happen again in the hand held market.
Fri 17/12/04 at 13:28
Regular
How many older gamers do you see playing handheld games?

I mean I was only down the pub the other day and half the pub had their gameboys in their hands because there is nothing "cooler".

The DS can also play movies and music with the new adaption but not that it matters.

The idea behind the DS is that it is new and fresh and will hopefully capture the imagination of the public.

The PSP... well... isn't.
Fri 17/12/04 at 10:23
Regular
"and PC user"
These little features sound fun, but is that in its self a problem? Really, does it just give the idea out that its a "toy" for the yougest gamers only. The result could be that more serious or older gamers (with more money) may go for PSP.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.