GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh dear Oh dear all seems a bit familiar the DS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/12/04 at 16:24
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
What is going on with Nintendo I thought that after all these years of fobbing us off with inferior tripe that was graphically no better than a SNES game they have managed to pull it off again.

I have seen screens of Mario DS, some really ropey Ngage racer port and of the Ridge Racer game and they are shocking, no textures, blocky graphics and
no better than a first gen PS1 game.

Having seen a comparison between the DS ridge racer game and PSP ridge racer game there is only one your are gonna want to play on and it ain't the one with the gimmicey stylus.

Nintendo DS stands the (Dier System), this console was realised and produced in a year and it shows.
Thu 16/12/04 at 09:16
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
If Nintendo handheld games so revolutionary then why are so many very graphically poor ports of Gamecube games.

The truth is that Nintendo are running scared, and so they should be they have had things to easy for to long in the handheld market and Joe Public deserve better not getting ripped off with warmed over products GBA and GBA SP same device different casing.
Thu 16/12/04 at 09:09
Regular
T score 04 wrote:
> All I can say is go to IGN and see a Ridge Racer PSP screen and a DS
> screen. I rest my case.

Yes, but who actually gives a flying toss about Ridge Racer? It's crap through and through.

Possibly one of the most mundane racing series' around.
Thu 16/12/04 at 09:08
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
Dringo Wrote:

I've said it once and I'll say it again the (to soon be) £50 GBA system that plays simple games will win the handheld war.

Simple games for simple people the backbone one Nintendo's handhelds
Thu 16/12/04 at 09:04
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
Strafio Wrote:

Take the "DVD's".
You CAN play films on it, but you have to buy it in a special Sony format that won't work on any other system.

Sounds a bit like a Gamecube disc, I remember at the time Nintendo said the dvd was a fad a their disc would take over Ho Ho Ho.
Thu 16/12/04 at 09:03
Regular
"and PC user"
Lets not bother having any movie playback on PSP. Thats what VHS is for. I remember the cover the Nintendo mag with the launch of the GameCube. Forget about DVD - thats what VHS is for. And looked what happened. So why is it so wrong to be able to play movies and music on a hand held games machine? If nothing else, it means one less box to carry around. Copy your mp3 tracks to PSP, and you can have music and games in a single unit on the move, plus you could plug in a movie disc if you wanted to.
Thu 16/12/04 at 09:00
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
Silly Boy,

The thing is though, MGS looks crap. As does virtually every other announced game for PSP. That's not to say a load of DS games aren't crap either. But for pure 'fun', the DS has a larger selection of games to meet that criteria.

All I can say is go to IGN and see a Ridge Racer PSP screen and a DS screen. I rest my case.
Thu 16/12/04 at 08:48
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
> Even with short battery life, PSP is going to beat DS hands down in
> terms of sales, and performance. Lets face it, short battery life
> didnt hold back the sucsess of the original Sony Discman in 1988.

No, but it killed the Sega Game gear - which is a comparable platform. (comparing a PSP to a Discman? wtf)

> Like the ability to use the unit as an MP3 player.

I'll pass thanks. That's what my iPod is for.

> And UMD does provide 1.8Gb of sorage capacity, which can be used for
> PSP games - not just movies. Think about it, thats more media capacity
> than the 1.5Gb disc used by the GameCube!

That doesn't mean it'll out-perform a Gamecube though. It still has limitations.

> I seriously think that once people have used PSP to play games like
> MGS, and they see the greater choice of games, and the improved the
> quality over DS, people will simply "have to get one".

The thing is though, MGS looks crap. As does virtually every other announced game for PSP. That's not to say a load of DS games aren't crap either. But for pure 'fun', the DS has a larger selection of games to meet that criteria.
Thu 16/12/04 at 08:35
Regular
"and PC user"
Even with short battery life, PSP is going to beat DS hands down in terms of sales, and performance. Lets face it, short battery life didnt hold back the sucsess of the original Sony Discman in 1988.

From what I have so far, the graphics power of PSP is significantly better than DS. The screen is large and widescreen, plus you have familiar Playstation controls. The fact that the UMD drive is not directly compatible with DVD is a shame, but that is a bonus feature anyway. Like the ability to use the unit as an MP3 player. And UMD does provide 1.8Gb of sorage capacity, which can be used for PSP games - not just movies. Think about it, thats more media capacity than the 1.5Gb disc used by the GameCube!

I seriously think that once people have used PSP to play games like MGS, and they see the greater choice of games, and the improved the quality over DS, people will simply "have to get one".
Wed 15/12/04 at 23:37
"Shotgun+Zombie=Mess"
Strafio wrote:
> Now it's ironic that the game I want the most on it is an N64 port,
> and the games I wish for the most are more N64 ports (with less
> slowdown and wireless play) but still...

But thats only natural - the N64 had some amazing games.
But Mario 64 DS has loads of extras so it's more than a simple port. (If that's what you were referring to)

P.S. Yay, I'm a regular now!
Wed 15/12/04 at 22:46
Regular
Sony have basically made a portable console set-up.
A console setup designed when you'd got time to kill in your bedroom or lounge.

Nintendo on other hand have been making handhelds for 20+ years and know what sets them apart from home entertainment.
Also, some of the PSP's features are REALLY stupid.

Take the "DVD's".
You CAN play films on it, but you have to buy it in a special Sony format that won't work on any other system. So you're going to have to buy the film especially for portable play. So when it comes to buying the film, are you going to choose the version on the 2" or 20" screen?

Also, the PSP games are going to be dumbed down console games.
That's why the GBA never really grabbed me because when the games weren't Snes ports, they were so Snes styled that I'd played something like them before.
Either that or they were dumbed down PSOne wannbes like Tony Hawks.

The DS offers something new.

Now it's ironic that the game I want the most on it is an N64 port, and the games I wish for the most are more N64 ports (with less slowdown and wireless play) but still...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.