GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh dear Oh dear all seems a bit familiar the DS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/12/04 at 16:24
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
What is going on with Nintendo I thought that after all these years of fobbing us off with inferior tripe that was graphically no better than a SNES game they have managed to pull it off again.

I have seen screens of Mario DS, some really ropey Ngage racer port and of the Ridge Racer game and they are shocking, no textures, blocky graphics and
no better than a first gen PS1 game.

Having seen a comparison between the DS ridge racer game and PSP ridge racer game there is only one your are gonna want to play on and it ain't the one with the gimmicey stylus.

Nintendo DS stands the (Dier System), this console was realised and produced in a year and it shows.
Sun 19/12/04 at 00:23
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Dringo wrote:
they
> own an american football team,

No, they own an American Baseball team- The Seattle Mariners, who's CEO is the old head honcho of NOA: Howard Lincoln. They purchased the majority stakeholder shares from Hiroshi Yamauchi.
Sat 18/12/04 at 22:55
Regular
Legendary Link wrote:

> I would prefer the DS to be the size of a GBA SP with the graphics it
> has, screw the stylus, i dont want awkward inovation when i'm out and
> about, save that for the consoles, could you imagine playing eyetoy
> or Donkey konga in public?

You are right, I don't believe the DS was made so it was easy to play online. The fact is the whole two screen thing was needed and so a handheld seemed the best option.

Console to choose? GBA. Best handheld EVER!
Sat 18/12/04 at 22:52
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
> GBA-SP doesnt cost much to buy, so once you take out the shop profit,
> and cost of manufacture, there cant be much profit in it for
> Nintendo.

> Same goes for GameCube. It is the cheapest home console, so again,
> once you remove the cost to manufacture, and shop profit, there cant
> be much in it for Nintendo.

Both systems are cheap to manufacture, the Gamecube doesn't have DVD capabilities and what not, so is cheap to make. Components become cheaper as time progresses, that is how consoles can be cut in price.

The GBA is a massive amount of money for a handheld, Nintendo can EASILY charge less... but Nintendo don't because it sells at that price.

Nintendo have around $6 billion in liquid assets...

They are one of the largest share holders in Toy Tycoon Bandai, they own an american football team, Pokemon makes a multi-million profit every year and a company Nintendo own.

Nintendo, with their stupid wealth, have also just entered the movie business, making CGI movies.

Thin ice indeed.
Sat 18/12/04 at 22:42
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Legendary Link wrote:
> i'm not really convinced by either, The DS seems a bit silly for a
> handheld, it will only fit in an extreamely big pocket, you cant see
> both screens clearly at once, a lot of tilting will be invloved, use
> the stylus and u have to hold the whole thing in 1 hand.

Well it's fitted in all of my pockets and I can see both screens clear enough without tilting. And when you're using thumbstrap and buttons (ie. most of the time) you can use both hands to hold it. Very rarely do you use the stylus.
Sat 18/12/04 at 21:17
Regular
i'm not really convinced by either, The DS seems a bit silly for a handheld, it will only fit in an extreamely big pocket, you cant see both screens clearly at once, a lot of tilting will be invloved, use the stylus and u have to hold the whole thing in 1 hand. The graphics dont look great in ridge racer, but to tell u the truth the game looks like more of a demo for the stylus, does using the stylus really improve stearing in a racing game? i think not.
The Mario game looks good tho, but really, a new 3d mario adventure would be beter, i played mario 64 to death, same with the case of mario advance 1,2,3,and 4.

I will be waiting for a re-design, ala game boy pocket (hopefully sooner) and GBA SP (spot on).

The PSP has nice blurry textures, that do look great, but arnt really, but look at that bridge and the hills in the ridge racer screens, they look even worse than the DS version. Battery is a real problem with the PSP or so i hear, and it doesnt have many games. The design of the handheld is nice tho.

I would prefer the DS to be the size of a GBA SP with the graphics it has, screw the stylus, i dont want awkward inovation when i'm out and about, save that for the consoles, could you imagine playing eyetoy or Donkey konga in public?
Sat 18/12/04 at 19:46
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Macintosh wrote:
> GBA-SP doesnt cost much to buy, so once you take out the shop profit,
> and cost of manufacture, there cant be much profit in it for
> Nintendo.

The hundreds of millions sold = a lot of profit in total.
Sat 18/12/04 at 17:21
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Yeah, but Nintendo are making a profit for every one sold worldwide....unlike Microsoft and Sony with their machines.

Microsoft to my understanding are taking the biggest hit with the profit margin loosing upwards of £100+ per system if I can remember correctly. They can afford to do this considering the profit they make elsewhere in the PC business.
Sat 18/12/04 at 17:15
Regular
"and PC user"
GBA-SP doesnt cost much to buy, so once you take out the shop profit, and cost of manufacture, there cant be much profit in it for Nintendo.

Same goes for GameCube. It is the cheapest home console, so again, once you remove the cost to manufacture, and shop profit, there cant be much in it for Nintendo.
Sat 18/12/04 at 17:02
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Macintosh wrote:
> Sega still sucsessfull? Dont think so. As for Nintendo, they are
> already on thin ice - Everyone I know wants PS2 or XBox - not one
> wants GameGube.
>
> If GameCube is so sucsessfull, why is RE going to PS2?
>
> GameCube is cheap, and they dont shift many units, so I cant see how
> it makes much money, which means the trusty GBA is keeping Nintendo
> in the black. If PSP takes over from DS and GBA, how will Nintendo
> keep going?
>
> With such uncertain times ahead for Nintendo, I would certainly not
> be putting any money into Nintendo shares.

Firstly Sega are a Publishing and Development company and no longer in the console business. And yes Sega are still successful, one has only to look at its success with games on PS2,X-BOX and GC.
The recent Sega Eye toy game has been a success hasn't it?

And I take it you live in the UK, with regards to the statement-"Everyone I know wants a PS2", sure the Gamecube is a huge failure in the UK market, but in this continent that we live in- Europe, it is number two in tv console sales as it is around the world- that does not on any circumstances make Nintendo on Thin Ice. Now couple that with Nintendo's success with the Gameboy Advance SP (which sells more than any console) plus the NDS, Nintendo are very healthy as I already stated.

As for "Why is RE going to PS2".....The only answer I can give to that is Resident Evil has never been away from PS2. First we had RE:Code Veronica X then the absymal RE:Outbreak and Outbreak 2.
As for RE:4 that particular game is coming NEXT Christmas and Capcom have already stated that it was for business reasons under the pressure from 'company executives and share holders'- simply put- they want to release the game on the top two best selling tv consoles being PS2 and GC. Mikami however wasn't happy and is leaving Capcom HQ and going to the satellite company of Clover Studios.

And as for stating- "Gamecube is cheap and you can't see how it makes them money" well again i'll say that it IS making them money, huge amounts and Nintendo aren't making a loss selling the actual system- unlike Microsoft and Sony who are experiencing losses for every system sold!!
Sat 18/12/04 at 16:44
Regular
"and PC user"
Gollum wrote:
> Macintosh wrote:
> Where are Nintendo and
> Sega now, compared with the 1980's? This kinda proves my point I
> think.
>
> Er....they are number one in the world in the "Video Game
> console" business. The Gameboy Advance is the number one
> system, plus they distribute the Gamecube (which is number two in TV
> Console sales world wide) and now they have the Nintendo DS Unit
> which is doing quite well with a target of 4 Million units to be sold
> before next easter.
>
> Nintendo are very healthy...and swimming in success to be honest.
>
>
> Plus just to add: The PSP does NOT have an analogue stick at
> all!! It is an "Analogue Disk" a little circle disk that
> slides around a circle groove, very unlike the Analogue sticks we are
> used to. It isn't angled when moved like an Analogue stick and isn't
> as comfortable as one either going by reports.

Sega still sucsessfull? Dont think so. As for Nintendo, they are already on thin ice - Everyone I know wants PS2 or XBox - not one wants GameGube.

If GameCube is so sucsessfull, why is RE going to PS2?

GameCube is cheap, and they dont shift many units, so I cant see how it makes much money, which means the trusty GBA is keeping Nintendo in the black. If PSP takes over from DS and GBA, how will Nintendo keep going?

With such uncertain times ahead for Nintendo, I would certainly not be putting any money into Nintendo shares.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.