GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question: If Nintendo have been so revolutionary...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/12/04 at 09:29
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
Why is the DS the first handheld they have used a 3D chip in?

Come on it's not like 3D chips are new
Page:
Tue 21/12/04 at 11:03
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I don't get the size argument - OOT was massive, tons to do.

MGS was horrendously short.

OH NO! MGS must be crap by your logic!
Tue 21/12/04 at 13:32
Regular
> T score 04 wrote:

>
> Limited to 128 to 256mb.

Resident Evil 2 was 512MB
Tue 21/12/04 at 13:37
Regular
"and PC user"
You CAN get games that are small in size which are good, BUT they must some how be limited. That might be graphics, sound, number of levels, limitations to the characters ability's, and so on. But in theory it could still be "adictive" game play. Greater capacity combined with better graphics, better sound systems, and other more modern hardware components allow for much greater "potential". So that doesnt mean every modern game will be spot on due to having flashy graphics, or a good sound track, but when they do bring out a good idea as a game, it can be far better on a modern system than on an old system. The designer's can really go to work, and make their idea into a game with far less retraints than on older systems. Its a bit like saying there have been no top quality films since the introduction of color. You could have excellent black & white films, but color enables the film to be much more life like. But you can get good and bad films in black & white and color. But nobody seriously wants to go back to only using black & white as a result.
Tue 21/12/04 at 14:59
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Macintosh wrote:
> Please remember that "anti-aliasing" is not the
> "new" technology that is used to smooth out round
> edges/circles on PSP graphics. anti-aliasing has been around for
> years.

You are incredibly dim-witted. That is EXACTLY what I was saying.

As for what you just said, -what the hell are you on about. Obviously more processing power leads to bigger, faster games, why are you trying to be clever and point out the bleeding obvious?

The point is that the storage capacity of CDs had no bearing on the quality or size of the games back on the N64. As has been pointed out, all that CDs would have brought to the N64 would be loading times, pirate games and scratched discs. The games on the N64 were invariably bigger than the games on the PS, and that was because of the superior processing power, nothing to do with the smaller storage medium of the cartridge.
Tue 21/12/04 at 15:20
Regular
"and PC user"
You misunderstand, anti-aliasing is a different system to that used by the PSP for rounding off circles, etc.
Tue 21/12/04 at 15:24
Regular
"bit of a brain"
it's the same effect of blurring the sharpened polygonal edges to make them appear smooth.
Tue 21/12/04 at 15:35
Regular
"and PC user"
Think they call it "nurbs" technology. I guess its done at the "vector drawn" level, not some kind of blur mask which is added "in front".
Tue 21/12/04 at 15:41
Regular
"bit of a brain"
oh the geometry tool! THey use that in JAVA applications don't they?
Tue 21/12/04 at 15:42
Regular
"tokyo police club"
My goodness.
Tue 21/12/04 at 15:42
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> T score 04 wrote:
>
>
> Limited to 128 to 256mb.
>
> Resident Evil 2 was 512MB

That is because the N64 version was on two discs
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.