GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question: If Nintendo have been so revolutionary...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/12/04 at 09:29
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
Why is the DS the first handheld they have used a 3D chip in?

Come on it's not like 3D chips are new
Page:
Tue 04/01/05 at 17:04
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Yes, I've read the IGN article. What you fail to realise is that handhelds are best-suited for multiplayer gaming- especially as both the PSP and DS hav e Wireless capabilities out of the box. So for two PSP's playing Ridge Racer, the battery life is only 2hrs, 46 minutes. Also note- that figure is for two PSP's- imagine what it would be like with 8 connected?

And for your information, Mario Kart wipes the floor with GT anyday of the week.

Edit: Oh, and 3" compared to 4.3" is nothing, really.
Tue 04/01/05 at 16:58
Regular
I for one would not be concerned about the battery life 3hrs 30mins is a good amount of battery for a game as big, and beautiful as ridge racer. Get your facts right goto IGN for the real battery life.

By the way which would you rather play GT4 mobile on a large 16.9 screen or mario cart on a 3in low res screen.

Thank you I rest my case.
Tue 04/01/05 at 16:49
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Top score wrote:
> The reason Nintendo did not want to use the disc is because the DS is
> a reactionary product not a revolutionary product. This meant that
> Nintendo had neither the time, money or technical know how to pull it
> off.

Hahaha. What utter crap.

Have you ever wondered why the PSP has such a short battery life Top Score? Yes, it's because it has a big screen and its format is read with a LASER. And guess what? Yes, lasers require MORE current to work then chip formats.

Oh, and your crap about Nintendo not using a customised format for the DS- do you even know what the DS cartridges look like? Are you saying they're not customised?
Tue 04/01/05 at 16:44
Regular
The reason Nintendo did not want to use the disc is because the DS is a reactionary product not a revolutionary product. This meant that Nintendo had neither the time, money or technical know how to pull it off.
Tue 04/01/05 at 16:43
Regular
"-_-"
Oi macintosh WAKE UP!
It's not the next bloody walkman!
It isnt going to change anything!
And Wipeout G fricking T isnt going to make adults play games!
Tue 04/01/05 at 16:43
Regular
"and PC user"
By moving levels that are in use to Ram from the UMD disc, and/or using jog protection memory buffers, the problem of skipping disc errors will be reduced to a min. And the fact the disc is in a shell like device helps. Everyone knows DVD-RAM discs are not popular, but they are more stable than other forms of blank DVD.

I have a Sony Discman, with ESP2 Shock Protection, and the you really have to give the unit a slap big time to make the music skip.
Tue 04/01/05 at 16:37
Regular
"and PC user"
Maybe PSP will change all that, maybe it will be as popular as the Sony Walkman........in other words, bye bye Nintendo!
Tue 04/01/05 at 16:34
Regular
Or maybe Nintendo were aware that mini discs require lasers and a lot of power to run, therefore destroying battery life.

Also it means the games can be jogged.

Idiot.

And Macintosh, I've said it once and I'll say it again, adults don't play handhelds because they're SAD!!!!

It is SAD to walk around and play games!!!!

People go on holiday to go clubbing or relax or something, not play handheld games.

The average teen/adult would not be seen dead walking around playing games.

I'm a gamer and I wouldn't be seen dead wondering around with a GBA.
Tue 04/01/05 at 16:29
Regular
Having spent a that money on developing a customised media ie: Gamecube disc did it not occur to them that this would also be the ideal media for the DS.

Or is it more the case that Nintendo were just to chicken?
Tue 04/01/05 at 16:28
Regular
"and PC user"
Dringo wrote:
> Macintosh wrote:
> gamesfreak wrote:
> Isn't the DS like a separate thing from the GBA anyway?
>
> They go hand in hand, no?
>
> They dont really compare. It's like saying PS1 is trying to get XBox
> customers - I dont think so. Thats not to say you cant get good
> games
> on PS1, but really - they are not in the same market. GBA-SP is not
> up there with DS or PSP in the same way. So, lets not bump up
> Nintendo's position by sticking GBA-SP sales together with DS sales.
>
> Why not???
>
> If you spend £60 on a GBA SP you won't buy a PSP, you obviously
> wanted a GBA SP instead. You also won't be getting a DS. Because you
> had the option but chose the GBA SP.
>
> So you have to count the GBA SP because they are in competition!!!!
>
> If people are buying a PS1 they won't be getting a PS2, because if
> they have one or plan to get one it'd be stupid as you can play PS1
> games on it.
>
> The GBA SP is in direct competiton with the PSP and the DS.... the
> GBA SP has sold rather well in Japan despite the launch of the PSP
> and DS and it has sold millions and millions in America.
>
>
> The more GBA SP's sold between now and March = less DS's and PSP's
> sold in March.

Only GBA-SP is a fraction of the cost of PSP, and the type of games on GBA-SP are very different to those on PSP (and to DS to a lesser extent).

If the younger buyers want a handheld, and mummy & daddy are looking for the cheapest option, it will be the GBA-SP.

But the older gamers that want Wipeout, GT, and other "grown up" stuƒƒ are more likely to go for PSP or maybe DS. This age group is also more likely to have the money for such a machine.

So in the future, many GBA-SP buyers will not even consider DS or PSP. GBA-SP buyers will be like PS1 buyers were after the launch of PS2.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.