GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question: If Nintendo have been so revolutionary...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/12/04 at 09:29
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
Why is the DS the first handheld they have used a 3D chip in?

Come on it's not like 3D chips are new
Page:
Tue 04/01/05 at 20:01
Regular
Again, I don't expect pauses in my movies.

Funny thing is, I can rewind the disc (technically not rewinding but you know what I mean) and plays it from before the pause and it wont necessarily do it again.

But this is distracting from the argument.
Tue 04/01/05 at 19:56
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
There's no way around it.
On dual-layer discs, there is always going to be a slight pause as the laser adjusts to read the second layer when it has reached the end of the first.

Of course, if you don't mind lower quality, you could always send an email to some production studios asking them to use 4.7GB discs instead of 9GB.
Tue 04/01/05 at 19:54
Regular
I don't care what they call it, whether it is meant to happen or not. It is still an inconvienience
Tue 04/01/05 at 19:52
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Edgy wrote:
> Funnily enough it has happened on a number of Sony's production
> studios movies. Like a small pause for a few seconds then continuing
> where it left off.

In the industry we call that "changing from layer 1 to layer 2 on the DVD".
However, if this happens more than once during the film, then actually no, it's skipping.

Hmm.
Tue 04/01/05 at 19:39
Regular
I don't know about anti-jog but I do have a Sony DVD player (expensive WEGA Theatre model which was top of the range when bought) and even that has skipped on DVDs. Now to my knowledge there has only been one significant earthquake in Cardiff within the last five years or so and I was lying in bed at the time it happened.

Funnily enough it has happened on a number of Sony's production studios movies. Like a small pause for a few seconds then continuing where it left off.

I'm not saying flash memory is perfect media storage, but less can go wrong with flash cartridges than optical media.

AS for the image thing. I am an adult. I do not think playing a PS2 game whilst walking around town will boost my image. Nor do I think I'd attract any female attention if I take one to a bar. It is the same with any handheld whether it is the PSP, Nintendo DS or even the GBASP. If I do take my DS out of the house, it will only be for if I know I am going to be waiting for a long period of time for something or travelling by coach or train. Not to mention taking it over a mates house for multiplayer gaming.

Again, the battery life argument still stands. Nintendo can power two backlit screens and stereo speakers for a longer time than Sony can power one slightly larger screen (than a single DS screen) and stereo speakers. I don't care what is causing the drain in the PSP but I know that if I am playing a handheld system, I don't expect it to cut out just as I am about to get my highest score or complete the game. Minish Cap for example would be useless if ported to the PSP as I have spent sessions of longer than three hours on it in the past. As have I with many other games. If PSP's games are meant to be bigger and better, I dread to think the progress I could make on a single charge.

Nothing is likely to make me want to get a PSP. I bought the Playstation 2 a year ago because I had a free game or two and I've used it very little. I think I've played the Super Nintendo more in the last year.

Argue 'til you're blue in the face about specs and crap. I don't care. I find it amusing as the PSP fanboys start building up their front on the Nintendo forum. Whoopdedoo. I can't speak for all the DS arguments but I can observe that most of the PSP fans have spouted crap when it comes to facts. Again, amusing.
Tue 04/01/05 at 18:48
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
> By moving levels that are in use to Ram from the UMD disc, and/or
> using jog protection memory buffers, the problem of skipping disc
> errors will be reduced to a min. And the fact the disc is in a shell
> like device helps. Everyone knows DVD-RAM discs are not popular, but
> they are more stable than other forms of blank DVD.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ahahahahahaha.

Please wait while I try not to laugh at your attempt of "sounding clever" and computer literate.
Tue 04/01/05 at 18:20
Regular
"bit of a brain"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> If you're going to put up arguments, at least think it through a
> little!

From the man who said that Nintendo have not released an original game since the NES.
Tue 04/01/05 at 17:57
"High polygon count"
Chipseh wrote:
> Edit: Oh, and 3" compared to 4.3" is nothing, really.

I bet your girlfriend would disagree! :-)
Tue 04/01/05 at 17:56
"High polygon count"
Dringo wrote:
> Or maybe Nintendo were aware that mini discs require lasers and a lot
> of power to run, therefore destroying battery life.

Not true.

My Sony NetMD MZ-N1 has over 100 hours battery life.

It's the screen that's the drain, not the laser.

> Also it means the games can be jogged.

Sony have a very successful anti-skip mechanism with the G-protection system. I've never been able to make my MD skip yet - and playing a game, you're far less likely to be moving fast enough to jog it than you are when listening to music.

If you're going to put up arguments, at least think it through a little!

> The average teen/adult would not be seen dead walking around playing
> games.

Well, not with the archaic design of the DS, anyway! PSP on the other hand is something you'd actually WANT to show off! ;-p
Tue 04/01/05 at 17:20
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Top Score it's so obvious that you know nothing. 3hrs is RUBBISH when playing games. It's a simple fact. You can't dispute it.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.