GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"University 2005"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/11/04 at 13:53
Regular
I realise that some people on this forum (including myself) are planning to go to university next year, and I figured it'd be nice to see who was going and how far they have got with their UCAS application.

I received my confirmation letter from UCAS the other day to say they have received my application, all I can do now is wait..

The university's/courses I have applied for are

University of Lincoln: Games Computing
University of Lincoln: Computing
Sheffield Hallam: Software Development (Games) - Offer - not for this course, however
Northumbira University: Computer Games Software Engineering - Offer
Nottingham Trent University: Computer Science (Games Technology) - Offer

I have received 3 offers so far.

What universitys have you applied for? Had any offers/Rejections yet?
Mon 08/11/04 at 22:17
Regular
"Copyright (c) 2004"
yup no student loan for me. aahh. Im just too lazy to get one. Im living off less than £20 a week. about...15 or so. one of my housemates spends £20 a week on food and £20 a week on drink. I'll be laughing whenI can afford to. when Im a certified engineer with a masters and go into chip programming and retire at age 30, my life will be one long gap year.
Mon 08/11/04 at 19:23
Regular
young squire wrote:
> gamesfreak wrote:
> those who are unfortuanate enough to go in 2006 are being
> subjected to that thing the goverment passed, which allows
> University's to charge the full £3000 for tuition
>
> Bah.

I don't think you have to worry too much, unless you go to an English Uni - most of the Scottish Unis don't charge one of the fees. Which one is beyond me, but they're cheaper overall (or so I've been led to believe)
Mon 08/11/04 at 19:22
Regular
gamesfreak wrote:
> I think everyone would like a gap year.
>
> But...
>
> People who go to University in 2005 pay the tuition fee's as normal,
> but those who are unfortuanate enough to go in 2006 are being
> University's to charge the full £3000 for tuition.
>
> You can understand why not many people are taking gap years this
> year...

That and some scholarships won't let you. (Damn it).
If I don't get the scholarship, i'll be cheesed off (ish), but if I do, I won't be paying student loans after I leave, so i can probably go on one.
To Japan.
Mon 08/11/04 at 18:29
Regular
"Copyright (c) 2004"
lcarus wrote:
>
> Anyway I started my course this year, just last month, and it rocks.
> I get to do radar in the 3rd or 4th year..heh. I didnt think there
> were many people out tere wanting to make games like me. hmm. maybe
> its time for a gave (ED:[sigh] another typo) dev forum?
>
> Radar?
> >

Yes ...radar (wiggles eyebrows). I dunno. I think it sounds fun. Today we did..VENN DIAGRAMS. How cutting edge. lol. anyway. I think Im the only person in my family my age who hasnt done a gap year. My sister went to nz, one of my cousins went to peru, one to madagascar, one to...uhhh..indonesia or somewhere...and another one of my cousins is gonna start uni next year after doing a gap year somewhere. I thought about doing one but Im still 17 so it would have been difficult getting visas and stuff. Also when I graduate Im gonna move to the US to be with my gf. heh. So I want to do it as quickly as possible. In Ireland we dont have utition fees which is so much better. Instead there is a registration fee of €1000 ...but ITS TOTALLY DIFFERENT..PROMISE!! (cough)I think some people can benefit more than other through gap years. if you want to do one...knock yourself out. Im sure it'll be really fun. I think most people can handle uni just fine without it.
Mon 08/11/04 at 18:13
Regular
gamesfreak wrote:
> those who are unfortuanate enough to go in 2006 are being
> University's to charge the full £3000 for tuition

Bah.
Mon 08/11/04 at 18:12
Regular
I think everyone would like a gap year.

But...

People who go to University in 2005 pay the tuition fee's as normal, but those who are unfortuanate enough to go in 2006 are being subjected to that thing the goverment passed, which allows University's to charge the full £3000 for tuition.

You can understand why not many people are taking gap years this year...
Mon 08/11/04 at 17:09
Regular
"relocated"
Everybody should take at least a year out before going to university. It makes you more mature and significantly less annoying to your fellow students. This doesn't apply if you do voluntary work and then spend your whole degree wearing a wooly hat knitted by a blind Peruvian orphan, and not talking about anything except how inspirational the people of Peru are - that makes you significantly more annoying to your fellow students.
Mon 08/11/04 at 15:51
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
i applied for law, but wont get anything for ages because of the huge numbers of applications and the fact that some unis wanted us to take the LNAT test. so far i have had an offer from Manc, but heard nowt from Glasgow, Warwick and DUrham+Brist+Ox want LNAT.

I applaud you for applying to do those. Did you do it so that whenyou look back at your parents saying that playing on the PC will get you nowhere, you can say just ho wwrong they were
Mon 08/11/04 at 00:24
Fozz wrote:
> wow dude. you did what I could never do. you actually applied to
> computer games courses. I was considering doing the course a abertay,
> dudee, or one at ballyfermot in dublin, in the end I just did a
> general electrical something course (computers, electronics,
> communications) in bath. Im glad I did cos I dont have to worry about
> one industry going balls up.
>

I talked at length with my (ill-informed) career advisers, people from the industry and those taking similar courses about whether I should take a games degree course. In the end, I decided that broader knowledge gained is worth a lot more to me. And if not, I could always take the MSc in Hull or Abertay.

> Anyway I started my course this year, just last month, and it rocks.
> I get to do radar in the 3rd or 4th year..heh. I didnt think there
> were many people out tere wanting to make games like me. hmm. maybe
> its time for a gave (ED:[sigh] another typo) dev forum?

Radar?
>
Mon 08/11/04 at 00:19
gamesfreak wrote:
> Eh?

Oops forgot the quote. Was replying to Para's post.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.