GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAME - where have all the Cubes gone?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/12/04 at 15:12
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
This is an issue close to my heart and I know its said many times but i'm saying it again.

I went into my local GAME yesterday and to my amazement the Gamecube shelf space has shrunk even smaller. It really was a pitiful sight and quite embarrassing for a die hard Nintendo fan.

The shelf space is now just one block. There were the usual top five slots which were virtually empty and then the 'selection' of naff games underneath. Now yes I suppose you could look at it 2 ways, either they've all sold out (which is laughably unlikely) or that GAME just can't be ars*d with the Gamecube anymore (which I KNOW is whats happening).

Woollies now have hardly any Gamecube stuff. Dixons, Currys, Comet and all those electrical retailers stopped selling it months ago and it looks like even GAME are now on the 'dump Cube' runaway train.

3 years into the life of the N64 was better than this and that was considered a commercial flop.
Tue 04/01/05 at 22:55
"I love yo... lamp."
Dringo wrote:

> I'm talking about THIS YEAR. The DS, GBA SP and Gamecube sales are
> bigger than Sony's.

Give me reliable numbers. I'd be incredibly surprised if that was true.

> Shouldn't be like this though. If Nintendo seriously want to compete
> they should have a big title coming out every single month. Even if
> it isn't first party, they should have something big coming out.
>
> But Nintendo aren't Sony, this is how they do things.

True. Although, since Sony are the ones that are the market leaders and make loads of money from video games, I think Sony have a better way of doing things. It's frustrating being a Nintendo owner. There's only ever a few games a year that you really look forward to. I'm never in GAME or HMV or anywhere like that when they have a sale and discover a Nintendo game I've wanted for ages vastly reduced.

> Nine years on and in 2005 the Gamecube hasn't sold 50% of the units
> the PS2 has. It's sold less than 20%. 15 million (being generous)
> versus 75 million (being scrooge like). Not pretty.
>
> Pokemon still sells millions, GBA SP sold triple that of the GBC.

Pokemon isn't a console. It's a game. Lots of games sell millions. GBC sold rather poorly, that's why.

> Been through this already. GBA and GBA SP have together sold just
> around 40 million. 40 + 15 + 3 = 58 million, which is less than the
> PS2 has sold.

> Worlwide, possibly. Not in Japan and not in America.

In saying that, of all the markets, the biggest margins are made in Europe. And dang, that's the one where Nintendo are by far the weakest. And I think you'll find that Sony have more sales in Japan than Nintendo. You have to remember that they also have the PSP and the old Pocketstation.

> Apart from 2003 when they had that mega huge loss...
>
> No they made a half year loss, the entire year they made a profit.

My accounts report says differently.

> I'll be surprised if there is a successor to the Nintendo
> Revolution.
>
> Yawn, heard this before.

Until the Revolution is out you can't discount the possibility.

You also overlook some things. Like the fact that Nintendo DO make a loss on Gamecube hardware. Like the fact that less money is made on Gameboy games than Gamecube games. Like the fact Microsoft have their finger in many many more pies, as do Sony.
Tue 04/01/05 at 22:41
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Dringo wrote:

> I wasn't in the first place.

I know :-)
Just havin a laugh!
Tue 04/01/05 at 22:33
Regular
N64 Fan wrote:
> So are you gonna stop shouting at me now?

I wasn't in the first place.
Tue 04/01/05 at 22:22
Regular
"Underbean"
In hmv they had one section and all it was, was the chart top 5 gamecube games! Me and my friend are always moaning about it, they need to sort it out! And in game they used to have a whole back wall of gamecube, but now it is on one of them little isle things on one side, and special reserve never have hardly any gamecube stock!

SORT IT OUT YOU ELECTRONICAL RETAILERS!
P.S. Chelmsford is rubbish for gamecube, buy online!
Tue 04/01/05 at 22:09
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
So are you gonna stop shouting at me now?
Tue 04/01/05 at 22:02
Regular
Actually high street prices at Game and Gamestation tend to be £32.99

Just to be picky.

I'm not mad I just get confused, NINTENDO aren't making much on the Gamecube but because they are a big software publisher and, unlike the competiton, they make a tidy profit on each system sold, the loss, if any at all, is not so great.

Nintendo have their fingers in a lot of pies. The owner of the multi-million selling Pokemon franchise. They own various other things from shares in Panasonic to Bandai and of course some baseball team and $6 billion in liquid assets. Nintendo sell toys to collectors, make cartoons, movies and what not as well as the biggest manufactuerer of handheld devices.

Gamecube is their flag ship project and it's a shame it isn't selling. But Nintendo have the time and money to correct that. And, as you may criticise the Gamecube, Nintendo are improving. There are more third party titles, there are more adverts out there and Nintendo are starting to listen.

Just sit and wait, see what happens. Our company is going under, our company isn't going to stop developing games and systems. The future is not all that bleak, just things could be better.

So there is no need to worry. Enjoy the war. All those fighting have the money and the ability to be the best. Lets just see if the underdog can come up with a Pokemon style mega franchise to push them nearer the front runners.
Tue 04/01/05 at 19:48
Regular
Ninjax wrote:
> ive got to admit that the games for the cube are more exppensive than
> other platforms which may be why its not selling! i mean the twin
> snakes is still a full £40 after bieng released ages ago!
> Whereas playstation and xbox games are usually 20-30 pounds at
> release.

Twin Snakes is £30. [URL]http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/search/standard.php[/URL]

As for Xbox and PS2 games usually at 20-30 on release, that is utter BS. Unless ofcourse you're talking about budget release.

£30 you get on online store, high street retailers you pay between £35 and £40 unless the shops get all price war on a product.
Tue 04/01/05 at 19:48
Regular
"thursdayton!"
4 posts in a row with much triple punctuation. Someone's having a bad day.
Tue 04/01/05 at 17:45
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Dringo, please calm down. Its only a chat forum. I've said it before, people all have different opinions, it doesn't make any of the right or wrong. :-)
Tue 04/01/05 at 17:22
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
> And look, here is the GameCube,
> and it doesnt use standard size discs - oooppps - they made the same
> mistake again!

The start of that reply actually sounded sensible, but you lost it here.

You moron.

The discs that the GC uses can be made quickly and easily, in pretty much the same method as a standard sized CD. And also, see that thing inside your computer called a CD drive? Open the draw, 95% of the time you will see 2 rings to fit two sizes of CD.

Oh look, a GC disc sits perfectly in the smaller ring.

GC discs are exactly the same as normal CD's, just smaller.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.