GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAME - where have all the Cubes gone?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/12/04 at 15:12
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
This is an issue close to my heart and I know its said many times but i'm saying it again.

I went into my local GAME yesterday and to my amazement the Gamecube shelf space has shrunk even smaller. It really was a pitiful sight and quite embarrassing for a die hard Nintendo fan.

The shelf space is now just one block. There were the usual top five slots which were virtually empty and then the 'selection' of naff games underneath. Now yes I suppose you could look at it 2 ways, either they've all sold out (which is laughably unlikely) or that GAME just can't be ars*d with the Gamecube anymore (which I KNOW is whats happening).

Woollies now have hardly any Gamecube stuff. Dixons, Currys, Comet and all those electrical retailers stopped selling it months ago and it looks like even GAME are now on the 'dump Cube' runaway train.

3 years into the life of the N64 was better than this and that was considered a commercial flop.
Wed 05/01/05 at 16:27
Regular
Nintendo had the edge with the N64 and look what happened there.

Another point Sony are not starting out from scratch this time, they already have a installed userbase.
Wed 05/01/05 at 16:15
Regular
"bit of a brain"
and there's no reason why Nintendo can't win it. Without using your home console comparison which you've eliminated yourself with your "they are different markets", history would show that Nintendo have the edge.
Wed 05/01/05 at 16:14
Regular
"and PC user"
gerrid wrote:
> So they're comparable markets then? So you could compare DS sales to
> PS2 sales?

No, they are different markets.

But there's no reason why Sony cant win in it.
Wed 05/01/05 at 15:54
Regular
"bit of a brain"
So they're comparable markets then? So you could compare DS sales to PS2 sales?
Wed 05/01/05 at 15:50
Regular
"and PC user"
gerrid wrote:
> Macintosh wrote:
> One is a handheld, the
> other a home console. Very different stuff.

Yea, but so what? They are different markets, but does that reason alone mean Sony cant win that market, no.
Wed 05/01/05 at 15:48
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Macintosh wrote:
> One is a handheld, the
> other a home console. Very different stuff.
Wed 05/01/05 at 15:46
Regular
"and PC user"
gerrid wrote:
> Except you've been saying all along that Sony ruled the home console
> market so they will obviously rule the handheld market,
> despite having no previous experience. And now you say the two are
> completely different and you can't make comparisons. So which is it?

But you forget, Sony entered the home console market with no previous experience, and became the market leader. So it is possible the same thing could happen in the console market.

So yes, they are different markets, but that doesnt mean Sony have got it wrong.
Wed 05/01/05 at 15:35
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Except you've been saying all along that Sony ruled the home console market so they will obviously rule the handheld market, despite having no previous experience. And now you say the two are completely different and you can't make comparisons. So which is it?
Wed 05/01/05 at 14:47
Regular
"and PC user"
Strafio wrote:
> The PSP has done reasonably well.
> Selling out a 200,000 Shipment within a week I think...
>
> But then again, the Dreamcast did that.
> So not a bad hting, but not necessarily good either.
> The DS is still topping it though.
>
> 2 million units sorted before Christmas?
> I don't think that even the PS2 managed to sell 2 million THAT
> easily.

And whats PS2 sales got to do with DS sales? One is a handheld, the other a home console. Very different stuff.
Wed 05/01/05 at 14:25
Regular
PSP pratically sold out on the first day times that by 7 and that would have been 1.4million in a week. Trouble is that Sony can't make that many in a year let alone a week at the moment.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.