GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAME - where have all the Cubes gone?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/12/04 at 15:12
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
This is an issue close to my heart and I know its said many times but i'm saying it again.

I went into my local GAME yesterday and to my amazement the Gamecube shelf space has shrunk even smaller. It really was a pitiful sight and quite embarrassing for a die hard Nintendo fan.

The shelf space is now just one block. There were the usual top five slots which were virtually empty and then the 'selection' of naff games underneath. Now yes I suppose you could look at it 2 ways, either they've all sold out (which is laughably unlikely) or that GAME just can't be ars*d with the Gamecube anymore (which I KNOW is whats happening).

Woollies now have hardly any Gamecube stuff. Dixons, Currys, Comet and all those electrical retailers stopped selling it months ago and it looks like even GAME are now on the 'dump Cube' runaway train.

3 years into the life of the N64 was better than this and that was considered a commercial flop.
Tue 04/01/05 at 09:06
"I love yo... lamp."
Dringo wrote:
> Oh yeah, terrible. Nintendo sell more consoles than anyone else and
> more software than anyone else.

In their time in the console market yes they have sold more than anyone else. However, sales of the NES don't matter, sales of the SNES don't matter, sales of the Gameboy and the Gameboy Colour don't matter, sales of the N64 don't even matter now. Because all of them are well in the past.

> Yet they're doomed.

Yes, because right now, they aren't exactly selling particularly much.

> Nintendo have increased their net profit twice this year and since
> their share prices jump up multiple times.

Marconi shares jumped a lot as well once upon a time... Dead cat bounce anyone?

> But they're doomed.

Yes, they still are.

> How many times do we go through this??? Hmmm??? Nintendo have a time,
> a period of time, often a few months, without a major release. End of
> 2002 beginning of 2003 for example with STarfox Adventures and
> Eternal DArkness used to sell the Gamecube.
>
> Sales are terrible. Shops stop stocking.
>
> Then a game is released. Metroid Prime for example. SAles shoot up.
> Then Zelda, another sales boost.
>
> A bit of a lull then a price cut followed by Mario KArt.
>
> Sales are great into 2003.
>
> Then we don't see a major release. Only sales boost comes with
> Pokemon Colleseum.
>
> Fans panic, this is the end. Then Nintendo release a load of games, a
> price cut and a bit more advertisement. SAles shoot up.

Shouldn't be like this though. If Nintendo seriously want to compete they should have a big title coming out every single month. Even if it isn't first party, they should have something big coming out.

> I don't care how many times people say Nintendo are doomed I just
> laugh. Because this has been said since 1996... 9 years people have
> been saying it is the end of Nintendo. And everytime these nay sayers
> appear there comes a sales boost.

WRONG!

You see 9 years ago in the days of the N64, Nintendo were still a big player. By the end of its life the N64 had sold over 30 million units compared to the Playstation's 60 million. The Gameboy Colour was completely king of the hill and virtually unchallenged. Sega were going off into oblivion. Pokemon was getting big. Nintendo were a big player back then.

Nine years on and in 2005 the Gamecube hasn't sold 50% of the units the PS2 has. It's sold less than 20%. 15 million (being generous) versus 75 million (being scrooge like). Not pretty.

> Resident Evil 4 will cause a big surge in america and Japan in the
> next few weeks. And these topics will vanish.
>
> But they'll be back. Oh yes. come the summer, once the E3 hype has
> died down, the "Nintendo are doomed" topics will return.
> I've been on these forums 4 years and I know how it works.
>
> Add the GBA, GBA SP, DS and Gamecube together and Nintendo are the
> biggest in the world. They publish tonnes of games, and I mean
> tonnes, for all systems and not always games they make themselves.
> And they make a profit on almost all of them.

Been through this already. GBA and GBA SP have together sold just around 40 million. 40 + 15 + 3 = 58 million, which is less than the PS2 has sold.

> Then they own part of Bandai and various other projects. They make
> money from toys and merchandise.
>
> Nintendo always make a profit every year.

Apart from 2003 when they had that mega huge loss...

> They have never needed to dip into those $6 billion savings they have
> because they've never made a yearly loss.

Kinda true, because 2003 just didn't happen for Nintendo in so many other ways...

> Gamecube is a downward spiral at the moment. But Nintendo's handheld
> enterprises are on the up.
>
> Did you know the GBA SP and DS in America sold over 3 million units
> in November and December. 3 million Nintendo consoles sold in 2
> months.
>
> Can you comprehend that??
>
> GBA SP enjoyed as much sales as the X-box and the PS2 in Europe
> because of a fantastic line up.
>
>
> Nintendo will not leave the home console market for a while. If it
> makes a consistant loss it'll make sense eventually to leave it. But
> Nintendo are a mega company. A money making powerhouse.
>
> But by then handhelds will be as powerful as home systems, and
> linking them up wirelessly and playing games on the TV through them
> will not be hard.
>
> But that is years, and i mean another 9 years at least, into the
> future.

I'll be surprised if there is a successor to the Nintendo Revolution.
Tue 04/01/05 at 08:52
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
Well, they're obviously not giving a damn about you, and thinking about their 'preciouses'

If only Hag-1 existed, you'd be able to drive up to them and demand more shelf space for gamecube, otherwise it's the mustard and cyanide gas!

I reckon GAME are biased.
Tue 04/01/05 at 00:58
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Dringo no one's talking about GBA and DS. WE're talking about Gamecube. I don't caer how much liquid assets Nintendo have if it doesn't offer me any benefits. I've said it before - shops stock less games - less choice - less sales - shops stock less games - less choice - it's a downward spiral for gamecube games. Sure there'll be the new releases out there, that's obviously gonna happen, but the availability of the cube's large back catalogue will diminish, and that IS NOT A GOOD THING.

And it's obviously not going to be the year of the cube, because it's the cube's last year. Anyone who thinks it will be is probably wrong.
Tue 04/01/05 at 00:46
Regular
Oh yeah, terrible. Nintendo sell more consoles than anyone else and more software than anyone else.

Yet they're doomed.

Nintendo have increased their net profit twice this year and since their share prices jump up multiple times.

But they're doomed.

How many times do we go through this??? Hmmm??? Nintendo have a time, a period of time, often a few months, without a major release. End of 2002 beginning of 2003 for example with STarfox Adventures and Eternal DArkness used to sell the Gamecube.

Sales are terrible. Shops stop stocking.

Then a game is released. Metroid Prime for example. SAles shoot up. Then Zelda, another sales boost.

A bit of a lull then a price cut followed by Mario KArt.

Sales are great into 2003.

Then we don't see a major release. Only sales boost comes with Pokemon Colleseum.

Fans panic, this is the end. Then Nintendo release a load of games, a price cut and a bit more advertisement. SAles shoot up.

I don't care how many times people say Nintendo are doomed I just laugh. Because this has been said since 1996... 9 years people have been saying it is the end of Nintendo. And everytime these nay sayers appear there comes a sales boost.

Resident Evil 4 will cause a big surge in america and Japan in the next few weeks. And these topics will vanish.

But they'll be back. Oh yes. come the summer, once the E3 hype has died down, the "Nintendo are doomed" topics will return. I've been on these forums 4 years and I know how it works.

Add the GBA, GBA SP, DS and Gamecube together and Nintendo are the biggest in the world. They publish tonnes of games, and I mean tonnes, for all systems and not always games they make themselves. And they make a profit on almost all of them.

Then they own part of Bandai and various other projects. They make money from toys and merchandise.

Nintendo always make a profit every year.

They have never needed to dip into those $6 billion savings they have because they've never made a yearly loss.

Gamecube is a downward spiral at the moment. But Nintendo's handheld enterprises are on the up.

Did you know the GBA SP and DS in America sold over 3 million units in November and December. 3 million Nintendo consoles sold in 2 months.

Can you comprehend that??

GBA SP enjoyed as much sales as the X-box and the PS2 in Europe because of a fantastic line up.

Nintendo will not leave the home console market for a while. If it makes a consistant loss it'll make sense eventually to leave it. But Nintendo are a mega company. A money making powerhouse.

But by then handhelds will be as powerful as home systems, and linking them up wirelessly and playing games on the TV through them will not be hard.

But that is years, and i mean another 9 years at least, into the future.
Tue 04/01/05 at 00:31
Regular
"bit of a brain"
GAME aren't to blame, no, it's mostly Nintendo's fault, but things are certianly going in a downward spiral - it's not all fine and dandy liek you keep trying to say.
Tue 04/01/05 at 00:25
Regular
Nintendo is a brand name too, don't forget that.

GAME and Gamestation are great supporters of the Gamecube, I stand by that. They stock loads of games and they promote the games where neccessaray.

Advertisement and what not is a major issue, but no, GAME are not to blame. Go in to a GAME store during the release of Resident Evil 4.

Go on.
Mon 03/01/05 at 22:35
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
gamesfreak wrote:
> Obviously, because 'playstation' has that brand image, you know?
> Everyone can associate with the 'playstation' because it pretty much
> revolutionised the gaming world.

Give over!
The only reason playstation got where it did was because Nintendo made the mistake of making the N64 a cartridge based system and not a CD system. Nintendo in the mid ninties ruled the world with their SNES console and it would've continued like that had they not stayed with cartridges! Cartrdiges cost software companies too much money and they abandoned the N64 in their droves!
THAT is why the playstation took over the crown.
Mon 03/01/05 at 22:12
Regular
"the burning sky"
Ninjax wrote:
> ive got to admit that the games for the cube are more exppensive than
> other platforms which may be why its not selling! i mean the twin
> snakes is still a full £40 after bieng released ages ago!
> Whereas playstation and xbox games are usually 20-30 pounds at
> release.

Not all together true. Most multi-format games are released at the same price, give or take the odd pound. It also depends where you look. Some places such as here are sometimes massively overpriced. Normally I buy my new cube games at about £30.
Mon 03/01/05 at 21:53
Regular
"boom boom click"
ive got to admit that the games for the cube are more exppensive than other platforms which may be why its not selling! i mean the twin snakes is still a full £40 after bieng released ages ago! Whereas playstation and xbox games are usually 20-30 pounds at release.
Mon 03/01/05 at 20:40
Regular
Oh come on, think about things here, the playstation came at the right time to bring gaming mainstream.

It was very popular, but this was fueled by piracy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.