GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The bad side of games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/01/05 at 21:33
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'm sure we've all played a game and been annoyed by a certain aspect of the game. Whether it be those blasted invisible walls or the fact the game is so darn linear. So the question is, what has annoyed you the most in a game?

Personally for me it's those darn 'Save the NPC' in RPG's. Virtually every time they have the most god awful AI, low stats and easily get killed by deciding against running back to my party where it's nice and safe instead opting to charge into the enemy and getting a sword through the head. I think what makes it even more annoying is that it can be solved so easily - just let the player control him/her. It's not hard
Thu 13/01/05 at 21:29
"period drama"
Dunno what happened to your name in the quote there.
Weird
Thu 13/01/05 at 21:27
"period drama"
5{:
> Another thing i hate is in Shooting games that have respawning enemies
> that just keep coming and coming no matter how many you drop. I like
> to play my games methodically and stealthily so once i've picked a
> village full of enemies off i like to place my men strategically on
> the outskirts of the village ready to take on the next bunch of
> enemies up ahead. It's so bloomin annoying having to deal with wave
> after wave, it's not realistic at all especially when no alarm is
> raised.

Aye, I'm exactly the same.
I like trying to get rid of everyone - most of the time you waste all your ammo before you realise they never stop coming. And then you have to run for it with them shooting at you.

I hate that.

It's just happened on Prince of Persia 2, where you need to make a jump, but there's enemies all around so princey's in fight mode, not climbing around mode, so you have to fluke the jump.

I just gave up with the game, it's no fun.
I got really far away from a savepoint, with pretty low health, and run into a massive group of enemies. I die, you get the option to retry, and it puts you back down just before them with the same tiny amount of health.

So I die again - 'tis impossible, so I'm going to play something else.
The first game was never so irritating, and much much better for it. You also get limited use of the sands as well, which is even more sucky.
Thu 13/01/05 at 18:54
Regular
"The Red Shift"
When you know that it was completely your fault that you died/lost/whatever and that it had nothing at all to do with the game or any other person/object.

:)
Thu 13/01/05 at 02:08
Regular
"8==="
Anything against the clock.

I like to explore in games.
Tue 11/01/05 at 15:00
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Chr1s wrote:
> Not having regular save points does my head in. You should be able to
> save whenever you want like on some PC games. Why should you have to
> repeat something if you have already done it?

I fully agree with the above - I mean, what do developers take us for - people who have nothing better to do that race the same race, rescue the same NPC or collect the same items over and over again? I think that EVERY task should be automatically saved - or remembered it system memory, so that you don't have to repeat the whole rigamoral of completing a section of a game, dying/losing and then having to do the same thing again, just to get past the boss at the end. Why not restart by the boss? Not 1843593590285803453647237 miles away at the beginning of the level!
Tue 11/01/05 at 12:58
Regular
"Bicycle"
Resevilfan 2.0 wrote:
> For me the bad side of games is that most aspects feel like a chore
> when it should be as fun as poss. trying to think of an example, ok
> you saved up for a game when at the beginning you only have 4 out of
> 50 tracks unlocked and you have to earn the rest out of solid work,
> ok some bits might come as an achievement but most of the time you
> have to earn the game after you've already paid for it.

I love a challenge. It improves you're skills, and gives you an incentive to play the game. More fun, in my opinion. (Excluding GT 3, which was just too bloody hard...)

I hate RPGs when you have to lose a certain battle. Or, early on, have to do something incredibly random to get the games ultimate weapon, for example collecting a string of objects. If there's one hidden somewhere at the start and ya miss it, you're screwed. This kind of requirement is basically encouraging using FAQs or Walkthroughs, something I now heartily disaprove of.
Tue 11/01/05 at 12:31
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Another thing i hate is in Shooting games that have respawning enemies that just keep coming and coming no matter how many you drop. I like to play my games methodically and stealthily so once i've picked a village full of enemies off i like to place my men strategically on the outskirts of the village ready to take on the next bunch of enemies up ahead. It's so bloomin annoying having to deal with wave after wave, it's not realistic at all especially when no alarm is raised.
Mon 03/01/05 at 18:16
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Not having regular save points does my head in. You should be able to save whenever you want like on some PC games. Why should you have to repeat something if you have already done it?
Mon 03/01/05 at 17:52
Regular
"Ow Yer"
done lol tony hawk games rule!!! but there gettin easier
Mon 03/01/05 at 12:14
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Mathews get yerself on THUG2 mate :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.