GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NFL Season starts again"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 10/09/04 at 21:38
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Anyone catch the Colts vs Patriots game to kick off the start of the 85th NFL season? Was a great way to start the season and i hope all the games are as entertaining. Was in a strange situation where i couldn't care who actually won this as i find New England to be horribly boring and Ty Law to be very annoying (he takes arrogance to a whole new level, he makes Jose Mourinho look like the most modest man in the world) and Indianapolis aren't much better with Peyton 'Most over-hyped player ever' Manning leading the charge.

Was good to hear the greatest commentating duo in all of sports Al Michaels and the legend John Madden back once again, no one can beat them.

But anyway the game, few interceptions thrown by Manning showing just how average he is and proving once more New England is not his favourite place (Vick and McNabb are far better) and Ty Law spending most of the game on the bench and when he did come on he got schooled by Marvin Harrison (and why Manning wasn't throwing to him more often i've no idea, he's your best reciever you muppet, use him) Great ending as well with McGuinness sacking him and leaving VanDerJagt with a hard field goal which he missed when he should have only had about a 35 yard attempt to knock threw the sticks.

Bring on the rest of the season
Page:
Wed 20/10/04 at 20:00
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I prefer an exciting defense myself, to be honest. I'd much rather see fumbles and interceptions than running backs ploughing into the line for a 3 yard gain for a TD. But then again I stil have a soft spot for a deep pass or a long run - I suppose everyone does. My favourite thing is still punt and kick returns, but I haven't seen any live this year, which is sad.
Wed 20/10/04 at 19:25
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
gerrid wrote:
> If you watched Manning a little more you'd see how good he actually
> is.

I've watched him in about 10 games over the last year, that is enough for me to be able to form an opinion on him. Maybe i picked 10 games he was considerably average in but in the games i've watched he hasn't done anything for me to rate him in the great category

> Oh and don't get too confused about offense and defense. The QB plays
> for the offense and not with the defense. The offensive line are the
> guys who block - the defensive line are the guys who rush.

Yes i know sorry i phrased it wrong, i was referring to the offensive blockers.

> Vick's way more exciting that Manning, but theyre good in different
> ways - you can't really compare them.

Yea, Vick's game is far more run orientated whereas Manning relies on his arm more
Wed 20/10/04 at 19:15
Regular
"bit of a brain"
If you watched Manning a little more you'd see how good he actually is. He runs his offense really well and that's something that Vick certainly doesn't do. I wouldn't say that Atlantas Offensive Line is terrible though, and the Colt's isn't all that great either, but obviously a QB needs time to be a good QB, just as a receiver or an RB needs the ball to be a good player too.

Oh and don't get too confused about offense and defense. The QB plays for the offense and not with the defense. The offensive line are the guys who block - the defensive line are the guys who rush.

Vick's way more exciting that Manning, but theyre good in different ways - you can't really compare them.
Wed 20/10/04 at 18:55
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Manning is a good quarterback looking at his numbers but every game i've seen him in the last few years he's thrown to the offence more than his own team.

A Quarterback is only as good as his defence because it doesn't matter if they have the skills of Elway, Marino and Favre combined unless he's got a good defensive barrier infront of him he's going to be sacked and hurried like mad.

Vick has to deal with a very average Defence meaning he's hurried far more forcing him to think quicker and like you say has the West Coast offence to learn. Vick may be loyal to the Falcons but if he wants to get anywhere he needs to move otherwise that hair is going to grow very, very long.

Personally i think Vick is better but differing opinions and all that jazz
Wed 20/10/04 at 18:37
Regular
"bit of a brain"
OK I'll explain it for you.

There are 2 Conferences - The national football conference (NFC_ and the american football conference (AFC). Each contains 16 teams, split into 4 divisions - North South East and West.

Teams in the same Division (NFC West - Seahawks - for instance), play each other twice a year every year - home and away. But that only gives 6 of the 16 games played each year, so the other 10 games are against random opponents from both divisions, and these 10 fixtures change every year.

The superbowl is the AFC champion and the NFC champion playing each other.
Wed 20/10/04 at 12:14
Regular
I can't quite comprehehnd the whole NFC/AFC thing
It confuses me. A lot, because teams play each other despite what division they're in.

It's like, wha?

Although that post has made it make a wee bit more sense.

OK, an Eagles-Seahakws semi will do me, even though I probably won't see it on the telly.
Wed 20/10/04 at 11:49
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Eagles Seahawks could never play in the Superbowl - they're both in the NFC.
Wed 20/10/04 at 02:46
Regular
At the moment Culpepper is 1337 though.
10 touchdown throws in two weeks!!

And the Eagles won't whoop the Pats like than in teh Superbowl, as the Seahawks will whoop the Eagles before then.
I'd love to see an Eagles-Seahawks final though.
Mainly because I support one team and my mate supports the other.
Best superbowl ever.
Not happening though.
Unless someone breaks Corey Dillons leg or something.
And some other players. Or Iraq nuke New England. Whilst the Colts are nearby.
Tue 19/10/04 at 22:38
Regular
"bit of a brain"
He's putting up better numbers and he can run his offense on his own. Vick certainly can't do that, and struggles with the system that he's given. McNabb is awesome and he has toughness speed and a great arm, but, again, he doesn't run his offense in the way that Manning does. You may think the guy's an idiot (it certainly seems that way - I don't like him much either), but he's certainly a very very good quaterback, and he can control a game all by himself.

Vick isn't recovering from his broken leg anymore, he's as healed now as he'll ever be, it's not an excuse. The only reason he's not perfmorming is because he's got a rubbish team (like you said) and he's still learning the west coast offense that he's being forced into playing. Perhaps if he was just left to play how he wanted he would be better than Manning but you can't say that he is, because you can't know that. Certainly he has a faster arm and faster feet, but does he have the same feel for the game as Manning? The way things are going we can't know.

You've got to respect the fact that Manning is his own offensive coordinator. The rest of the QBs in the league run the plays that are shouted in their helmet, but Manning does it all by himself, and that coupled with his physical ability makes him a great quaterback. There is more to being a QB than just being able to throw the ball quickly and accurately - hell Marc Bulger does that, and rushing QBs are all the rage at the moment, for obvious reasons, but it isn't the be all and end all.
Tue 19/10/04 at 15:24
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
gerrid wrote:
> lalakersrule wrote:
> (Vick and McNabb are far better)
>
> I bet you're rethinking that statement right about now

Yes let's all trash the guy who's coming back from a broken leg because of course he should be able to slot straight back into the team and carry on producing the great play we know he's capable of. The most dangerous part of his game is the fact at any moment he can just keep hold of the ball and rush with it, that's going to be hampered while he still recovers from his injury.

Plus he's playing with the Falcons, that's a hinderance all in itself :-D

You seriously believe Manning is better than McNabb and Vick?
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.