GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guildwars"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Guild Wars'.
Fri 18/03/05 at 16:39
Regular
"Captain to you."
I was just wondering have any of you played this game? or were part of the beta? I have been looking at it and it looks quite good but i want to try it out before i purchase it.

Would like to hear back from people who have played it and not just loads of people going wah wah wah i don't like it, it sucks when they have't played the game.

whats the gameplay like is it worth buying?
Sat 30/04/05 at 13:56
Regular
For under £20 its worth a gamble.
Sat 30/04/05 at 13:45
Regular
I still haven't decided whether to pick this up or not...the BETA was good but I'm not sure.
Sat 30/04/05 at 12:26
Regular
There is also a limit on what level you can reach, I think that it is level 20?
Sat 30/04/05 at 11:27
"Majestic"
Bullett wrote:
> It's the MMORPG with no Monthly sub, isn't it?
>
> Sounds interesting..

Not exactly. Hate to burst everybody's bubble, but there is a hidden charge with this feeless game. The people that make Guild Wars state that every 3-4 months they will be releasing new 'chapters' to expand your gameplay. Chapters will contain new moves and abilities, as well as new characters, and places to play - i.e new areas.

While these chapters are optional, if you do not buy them, you won't be able to go down that "new cave" or use that "new ability" making you a useless part of Guild Wars, unable to group with the majority of people that have expanded. For augments sake, if they release one every 4 months for 20 pounds then that's a fiver a month. Why not pay that extra couple of quid, and get a well maintained MMORPG instead of an half-assed attempt? Stick with WoW, you know it makes sense.

EDIT: Most people have said the same.

*grabs coat*
Sat 30/04/05 at 10:42
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Been playing GW since Thursday. Excellent game, highly reccomend it to everyone.

The expansions will have to be paid for (every 3 - 6 months according to their site) but the joy is that you don't really have to get them as you can still play without them. All they do is add new area to go to.

As for patches and updates, these are free.

Most impressed with the streaming content though, very cool.
Sat 30/04/05 at 08:53
Yup, it's a classic "you get what you pay for" thing, as opposed to WoW's "pay regularly, and you'll get everything" - though everything isn't exactly defined, and once you stop paying you'll get nothing.

Kinda like mobile tariffs. Or even better, music downloads (iTunes compared to Napster).
Fri 29/04/05 at 23:08
Regular
"And some more !"
the only thing that you have to pay for is the expansion packs, the updates are all free, its mentioned on the official site. i too am gonna buy this game in two weeks after me exams. I hope its good. But you can still play the game even if you dont have the expansion packs. all you get are a few more areas and charecters, your not forced into buying them. Its like the sims, a few more charecters and items. But play the sims (normal) and its just the same!
Fri 29/04/05 at 21:36
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Expansions most probably. I guess the included content is fairly large, but limited.
Fri 29/04/05 at 21:35
Regular
Updates?
Do you mean patches have to be paid for?
Fri 29/04/05 at 20:52
Regular
"Captain to you."
Thought i'd dig tthis thread out rather than starting another one about it.

I got my copy today and i am quite pleased with it, had a good 6 hours on it so far, run around on my own for most of the time as i wan't to level up a bit before trying to chat to all the people.

Its a very pretty game and the effects on spells and attacks are lovely.

This is a pretty cheap game, under £20 and no monthly charge, but there are going to be updates that have to be paid for but they are going to be quite cheap too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.