GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Heavy Metal Thread"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/03/04 at 16:31
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
We really needed a thread for the world's premier type of music, so I created one, and here it is.

Rock on!
Page:
Tue 10/05/05 at 22:17
Regular
"Not a Jew"
True.
Don't forget the softer stuff as well, like Floyd.
Tue 10/05/05 at 22:15
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Just noticing how much we Brits ROCK!!! Found some crazy Napalm Death, and saw that they were british, its like, wow. Then i realised for every decent American band, there was an English band that did it first: Guns N Roses? Rippin' off AC/DC. Metallica? Listen to the early stuff, and its clearly ripping off Iron Maiden. We invented punk with the sex pistols, and we had the rolling stones!!! We had Led Zepplin who practically invented real rock music, and Black Sabbath who took that on to metal. Slayer seem to have had a fair bit of inspiration from Motorhead (Its all thrash really), and now I find that Napalm Death and Carcass are British!!! Man, we brits definitely do it best :D I know you cant have new music without bands influencing each other, by damn it we did it all first!!!
Mon 09/05/05 at 12:00
Regular
"you've got a beard"
no.
they'll have the same kind of stuff in the shop.
you don't really even need to take your guitar unless it's a high end model, the production models are fairly standardised and the difference between yours and another of the same type will be negligible.
Sun 08/05/05 at 22:24
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
:D
Yeah I was planning on taking my own guitar. I don't have any custom electronics or anything on it, but still, like you said, I want to know how it'll sound with my guitar.

Luckily a guitar shop opened up pretty close to my house a while ago so I won't have to drag it for miles before getting on a bus and going several more miles like I'd have had to have done a few months ago.

Umm... noob question... should I take my pedal in with me too?
Sun 08/05/05 at 22:17
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Oh yeah, although this should be painfully obvious: when you try out the amps TAKE YOUR OWN GUITAR. Especially if you have any special pickups/electronis onboard, but even if you dont its best to try to get the same sound in the shop that you'll be getting at home. And dont be afraid to crank it up aaaaaall the way to 11 :D If they want to make a sale they gotta let ya \m/
Sun 08/05/05 at 22:04
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Cool, thanks. I've heard about Spiders and will be staying well away from them :)
I'll go try some stuff out sometime this week.
Sat 07/05/05 at 13:03
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:

> How do you run your pedal with your amp? I mean, do you use it on the
> clean channel on the amp or...?

No, that the way you're meant to use it but im special :) I use it as a straight gain boost to push the amp harder, so thats distortion on zero, all tone controls in the middle (so it doesnt affect EQ at all) and level on full. Then have the EQ set on my amp, using the pedal on crunch and lead channels. Pedal on clean channel just sounds nasty.

> Any advice on anything I should stay away from?

I tryed an Ashdown stack and hated it, it just didnt have enough gain for the sort of stuff I was playing at the time. Also the Line 6 amps (Particurally the ''Spider'' series) or indeed most modelling amps: just no. They sound great in the shops, but unless you're gonna want to use all 24 amp channels theres no point!! At the end of the day, its 1,000 times better to have an actually marshall/mesa boogie/fender etc. than something that THINKS its a marshall/whatever. And dont settle for something that'll ''sound good with this pedal'' or ''have a much better tone with this cunning piece of equipment''; if you cant get the exact tone you want in the shop with gear you already have, forget it. Much better to have something you know you can rely on.
Sat 07/05/05 at 09:27
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Cool, thanks for that.

How do you run your pedal with your amp? I mean, do you use it on the clean channel on the amp or...?

I'm not in a gigging band but if I was just planning on playing in my bedroom for the rest of my life I wouldn't be looking into a new amp :)

Any advice on anything I should stay away from?
Thu 05/05/05 at 11:41
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:

> Actually I have a question, you know the wattage thing, is it just
> the higher that is the louder the amp goes? Or is there more to it
> than that?

Basically, the higher the watt rating of an amp, the louder it will go, yes. But there are some other factors aswell.

The main one being that there are two different types of guitar amplifier: Valve (or 'Tube' if youre american) and solidstate (sometimes called Transistor amp, because they run off transistors rather than glass valves).

Valve amps will have a warmer, thicker tone, and are generally louder (A 100W valve amp will have roughly the same output as a 250-300 watt solid state amp), whereas solid state amps have a harsher, more trebley tone. A perfect example of solidstate amp tone is the late Dimebag Darrell
(Pantera/Damageplan), who used 300W Randall Warhead stacks.

Depends what sort of tone you want, but unless you're in a gigging band you wont need more than about 50 watts of power (And remember, you can NEVER go wrong with a Marshall :D) Especially with that Metal Zone of yours, you'll be able to get a huge range of rock/metal tones. I run an EMG-loaded Les Paul through a metal zone into a Marshall TSL60 (valve), and there is no better tone :D you just have to hear it for yourself.
Thu 05/05/05 at 11:00
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Uhhh crap I just wrote all this out then lost my tab.

Okay, trying again:

I'm looking into getting a new amp pretty soon. At the moment I just have a little 10w thing. My current guitar isn't exactly amazing either but I couldn't justify spending loads of money on a new guitar only to play it through a crappy 10w practice amp. So, I'm doing the amp first.

As you may have gathered from my presence in this thread, I play mostly metal and some rock too. At the moment I've got an MT2 pedal, but even though I usually play distorted stuff, I'm still concerned about a nice clean tone.

Well the thing is, having never bought a new amp before, I don't actually have a clue about all this. I have to run in a moment so I can't really explain any more, but any advice would be really welcome. And I know I've been a little vague so far, so if you have any questions...

Actually I have a question, you know the wattage thing, is it just the higher that is the louder the amp goes? Or is there more to it than that?
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.