GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Chaos Theory opinions....."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory'.
Fri 01/04/05 at 12:09
Regular
I'm gonna steal the old skool reviewing methods of OXM as I'm not in the mood for long posts.

Good Points -

* Single Player is orgasmic
* Co-op is orgasmic
* AI is...yup you guessed it orgasmic

Bad Points -

* Warehouse and head jumping are back seemingly unchanged
* No cinema or Hospital
* Proxy voice in co-op doesn't seem to work as well as I'd hoped
* Assholes in VS are back, didn't get to play Spies at all last night

Spies VS Merc is yet to impress me to be honest but I'm sure that'll change when all the people I know get the game today. Last night it was a case of the same old crap people not joining your server unless they can play spies, oh and already about 50% of the optimatch games were playing Warehouse which is seriously depressing. Oh and words can't describe how large and confusing the new VS levels are, it's gonna take an age to learn these things and the fact that all the levels have totally different kinds of objectives doesn't help at all.

Co-op however is sublime. We played through the first level which took a hell of a long time, the good thing was that the AI was constantly changing their tactics and suprising you around every corner. Favourite moment so far was when my partner was getting ready to slam a door open on a guard, to his suprise the guard used exactly the same tactic on him and sent him flying across the room.

So anyway excellent game so far, it's met pretty much all of my expectations already and I've hardly even scratched the surface.
Fri 01/04/05 at 12:09
Regular
I'm gonna steal the old skool reviewing methods of OXM as I'm not in the mood for long posts.

Good Points -

* Single Player is orgasmic
* Co-op is orgasmic
* AI is...yup you guessed it orgasmic

Bad Points -

* Warehouse and head jumping are back seemingly unchanged
* No cinema or Hospital
* Proxy voice in co-op doesn't seem to work as well as I'd hoped
* Assholes in VS are back, didn't get to play Spies at all last night

Spies VS Merc is yet to impress me to be honest but I'm sure that'll change when all the people I know get the game today. Last night it was a case of the same old crap people not joining your server unless they can play spies, oh and already about 50% of the optimatch games were playing Warehouse which is seriously depressing. Oh and words can't describe how large and confusing the new VS levels are, it's gonna take an age to learn these things and the fact that all the levels have totally different kinds of objectives doesn't help at all.

Co-op however is sublime. We played through the first level which took a hell of a long time, the good thing was that the AI was constantly changing their tactics and suprising you around every corner. Favourite moment so far was when my partner was getting ready to slam a door open on a guard, to his suprise the guard used exactly the same tactic on him and sent him flying across the room.

So anyway excellent game so far, it's met pretty much all of my expectations already and I've hardly even scratched the surface.
Fri 01/04/05 at 12:13
Regular
I WANNA BE A SPY!!11

Morons. Still, glad to hear it's as good as it looks. But no Cinema while Warehouse stays????

Christ.

I'll give you a few rounds if you're still online at around 15:00. Can't wait
Fri 01/04/05 at 12:14
Regular
I totally missed your door-slamming comment. Bloody hell, AI worth the effort?!

I'm really looking forward to it now :D
Fri 01/04/05 at 12:15
Regular
Whoo, triple post :D

I wish they'd make bots available for the VS mode - by the sound of the AI, it'd be great.
Fri 01/04/05 at 12:28
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah and they wouldn't try to find bloody glitches in the game to take advantage of. As far as big maps go, I think its better if you can't learn them, cause thats when the game gets boring and basement dwelling, trash talking nerds start to take over the game.

If anything, randomly generated maps that stick to certain criteria to look like say a cinema or warehouse would be great as far as I'm concerned. Cause as long as people can't learn all the best advantage spots to just pick the other team off, the more new players can enjoy the game in say a few months time.

Should be more about your skill in sneaking around and hiding, or hunting people down in any situation rather than just sprinting to the best advantage point or following the same boring "wins everytime" routine.
Fri 01/04/05 at 12:32
Regular
Yeah I know what you mean, games tend to be at their best when everyone's new to the game. But at the moment trying to defend these levels as Mercs is almost a waste of time as you really don't have a clue where to go.

Still I've only really played against a couple of American assfaces who took the timer off and set it on infinite lives for spies without telling us. I'm sure it'll get less confusing the more I play.
Fri 01/04/05 at 12:33
Regular
Couldn't agree more with everything you said, but I reckon the current generation and their online services couldn't handle random generation of maps of this quality.

EDIT - @Savatt
Fri 01/04/05 at 12:41
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Warehouse?

I'm going to cry.

WHY? WHY WHY WHY?

There were two classes of PT players. Warehousers and everyone else.

The Spy thing is unavoidable really, and the irony is it's usually easier as a merc.. :D

Not got it yet, reallly want it now though. New VS maps are a good thing :D

Co-op/AI etc sound awesome. The problems with PT only came about when you didn't have lots of players online -> left to play with rejects. There should be loads of CT players.
Fri 01/04/05 at 13:12
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
The one good thing about warehouse as Mercs for me was placing mines in certain places so the gits sprinting for the open terminals would be sent flying. ;-))

The best kill I ever had was on that level too. Well I say best, it was certainly the funniest. I'd just set a mine and I was walking slowly up towards the terminal, this big explosion suddenly went off right behind me and I spun round to see a spy dead on the floor. Some yank had tried to sneak up on me and was so focused on me that he didn't notice my little mine I'd left. Bloody funny that was. ;-))
Fri 01/04/05 at 13:16
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Ive played the online mode on PS2 and cinema is still in it. Not really impressed that certain abilities have been left out, the spinny merc thing from the beta on pc for example

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.