GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The greatest player ever to grace The Premiership is...?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/03/04 at 17:21
"High polygon count"
Think of the great players we've seen in The Premiership since it began.

The flair. The skill. The quality.

I say "Premiership's greatest player", and you think of... who?

Thierry Henry with his pace? Dennis Bergkamp with his vision and skill? Kanu with his elastic legs?

Ruud van Nistelrooy with his poached goals? Ryan Giggs with his flying wing play? David Beckham with his free kicks? Eric Cantona with his... erm... poetry?

Little Michael Owen (before his knee injury, when he was good)?

The 'much-loved' Gianfranco Zola?

The fiery Di Canio?

The list goes on.

Well whoever you thought of, you are invariably wrong. (Unless you saw the same programme...)

According to Sky One's "The Premiership's Greatest..." last night, apparently "you, the fans" voted for...

Alan Shearer!

Now I know that at some point ALASTAIR is (possibly) going to post in this thread, quite probably with one of his infamous Tourette's style, expletive-riddled rants aimed squarely at me... and that's a risk I'm willing to take.

But... COME ON!!!

Where did they hold this 'vote'? A pub in Newcastle?

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I think of "great" players, I think in terms of Pele, Cruyff, Platini, van Basten... players who are, or will be, remembered the world over long after they've given up The Beautiful Game.

But outside of Newcastle and (maybe) the North of England, who is going to be looking back in 30 years time and thinking to themselves, "What about that Alan Shearer? He really set the football world alight."

This isn't a "biased Gooner" post. The team I support is irrelevant. It's just my considered opinion that there have been any number of players in the Premiership who have been, are and will be more deserving of the title.

True, it is only a Sky TV programme, and the result is about as relevant in the real world as the current Manchester United defence... but it was worth a comment, all the same.

So come on, rant away!
Wed 17/03/04 at 20:05
Regular
Joke was too harsh a word but he certainly wouldn't be the player he is now if it wasn't for Wenger and the brave decision he made. Like I said, at the moment he is the best player in Europe and I'm not disputing that.
Wed 17/03/04 at 20:58
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
ÂLÂ??ÂÎR wrote:
> Like I said, at the moment he is the best player in Europe and I'm not
> disputing that.

All time? Lets remove the penis from your mouth and look at the big picture.

Are you denying that Henry isn't a more talented, a better player than Shearer?
Wed 17/03/04 at 21:00
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
wow, el Blokey really screwed up the new italics idea!
Wed 17/03/04 at 21:25
Regular
El Blokey wrote:
> All time? Lets remove the penis from your mouth and look at the
> big picture.

>
> Are you denying that Henry isn't a more talented, a better
> player than Shearer?

Heh, lets take off your glasses and watch Shearer back in his day. He had everything a striker needs, I don't mean the level of trickery that Henry has from his winger days I mean the acceleration over a short period and utter amazing finishing of the ball which got him the amazing record he has today.

If you care to look, you would see I said Henry at this moment in time is the best player in the world and a truly spectacular player to watch. Sitting in your arm chair groaning on isn't going to hide the fact that in his day Shearer was equally as impressive for different reasons to what Henry is now.
Wed 17/03/04 at 21:31
"High polygon count"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I am shocked at how little you know.

That's pretty much your standard response to anyone who disagrees with anything you say, isn't it? Of course, no-one could possibly know more than you about anything, could they? If they disagree, they obviously don't have a clue.

> A striker is there to score and Shearer has proved himself to be the
> best striker the Premiership has seen

1. This discussion is not about strikers. Get that into your head.

2. He has done nothing of the sort. He's scored more goals because he's been playing for longer than most strikers. That doesn't make him the best striker, it simply means he's had more opportunities.

To recap once more for the hard-of-understanding: This is NOT ABOUT WHO SCORES THE MOST GOALS. It is about the best player, not the top scorer.

> Shearer has proved it, not just 1 or 2 seasons but every season
> he has played in the Premiership.

Again, check the stats. All they prove is that Shearer has scored more goals, and the reasons for that have already been given.

Shearer has been consistently out-scored by at least one other player every season since 96/97, and for two of those seasons he did not even figure in the top 10.

In plain English: in every season since 96/97, there has been at least one better goal scorer than Alan Shearer.

Let's reverse it. Make it goals conceded. The more goals conceded, the worse the defending, right?

Arsenal have only conceded 4 goals in the 10 games that Pascal Cygan has started this season. Does that make Cygan the best defender?

Sol Campbell, Rio Ferdinand and John Terry must be far worse defenders. I mean, they've all conceded more goals.

Or could that simply be because they've played in more games, so their stats are higher?

Can you even begin to understand the point here?

> Lets remove the penis from your mouth and look at the big picture.

Never let it be said that Alastair can't hold a civilised conversation!

Not for the first time, you're turning this into a 'me v you' argument and making personal insults. You can see for yourself that, while most of us agree that Shearer is a perfectly decent player, many people place other players above Shearer. Presumably they also have a penis in their mouth?

I would ask why your venom is directed at me in particular when so many disagree with you, but in truth, I really don't care. Not that your comment really qualifies as an insult, anyway. A little pathetic, really, and quite laughable.

It never ceases to amuse me just how easily you are riled, and how you are never embarrassed to show yourself up on a public forum practically every time you put fingers to keyboard.

Everyone else is discussing their differences of opinion in a calm and rational manner, then as usual, along comes Angry Alastair with his Big Bag of Personal Abuse™.

If there's one thing I can say for definite about Shearer, it's this:

He is a gentleman. He's a far better and more gracious man than you could ever hope to be, Alastair. He has more dignity and self-respect in his little finger than you could hope to acheive in 10 lifetimes.

No wonder you look up to him so much. It's a shame you don't try to be a little more like him.
Wed 17/03/04 at 21:33
Regular
"Notable"
Well this is a great time to start a thread of this kind.

The arguments for Theirry Henry seem to be pre-scripted. As if this thread was to spread some awareness for Henry's recognition.
Wed 17/03/04 at 21:38
Regular
Oh dear, more of a nerd than your photo suggests.

If you actually read what I said, I think he is the best player, the best striker bit was just to stop you groping the posters of Henry to actually open your eyes and see that a Stikers job is to score as is a defenders job is to defend. Seeing as Shearer has been untouched on the goal front and the amount of work he puts in it does make him a strong contender for the best player the premiership has seen. Sitting at home reading the newspaper and watching odd 5 minutes here and there doesn't let you see what a hell of a player he actually is.

Also hate to ruin your scrap facts but Shearer was out for a period of 18 months with a 6 month sideline just 12 months prior to that. If you care to search you will see exactly what season that was. Sorry to wee wee on your bonfire Dr. Spock but you really do talk a hell of a lot of anal.
Wed 17/03/04 at 21:38
"High polygon count"
Ju§t Tinkª wrote:
> The arguments for Theirry Henry seem to be pre-scripted. As if this
> thread was to spread some awareness for Henry's recognition.

Originally this thread had nothing at all to do with Henry. Hard to believe, I know.
Wed 17/03/04 at 21:40
Regular
"Notable"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Originally this thread had nothing at all to do with Henry. Hard to
> believe, I know.

You would have argued for Henry no matter what people thought.
Wed 17/03/04 at 21:40
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Oh dear, more of a nerd than your photo suggests.

Oh dear God, do shut up you moron. I'm tiring of your oh-so-witty one liners when you are challenged in an argument.
You use the claim of "Oh, you're immature" against countless other people on these forums, when really, it reeks of irony when you say it.

So please, do us all a favour, and grow up. I beg thee.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.