GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The greatest player ever to grace The Premiership is...?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/03/04 at 17:21
"High polygon count"
Think of the great players we've seen in The Premiership since it began.

The flair. The skill. The quality.

I say "Premiership's greatest player", and you think of... who?

Thierry Henry with his pace? Dennis Bergkamp with his vision and skill? Kanu with his elastic legs?

Ruud van Nistelrooy with his poached goals? Ryan Giggs with his flying wing play? David Beckham with his free kicks? Eric Cantona with his... erm... poetry?

Little Michael Owen (before his knee injury, when he was good)?

The 'much-loved' Gianfranco Zola?

The fiery Di Canio?

The list goes on.

Well whoever you thought of, you are invariably wrong. (Unless you saw the same programme...)

According to Sky One's "The Premiership's Greatest..." last night, apparently "you, the fans" voted for...

Alan Shearer!

Now I know that at some point ALASTAIR is (possibly) going to post in this thread, quite probably with one of his infamous Tourette's style, expletive-riddled rants aimed squarely at me... and that's a risk I'm willing to take.

But... COME ON!!!

Where did they hold this 'vote'? A pub in Newcastle?

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I think of "great" players, I think in terms of Pele, Cruyff, Platini, van Basten... players who are, or will be, remembered the world over long after they've given up The Beautiful Game.

But outside of Newcastle and (maybe) the North of England, who is going to be looking back in 30 years time and thinking to themselves, "What about that Alan Shearer? He really set the football world alight."

This isn't a "biased Gooner" post. The team I support is irrelevant. It's just my considered opinion that there have been any number of players in the Premiership who have been, are and will be more deserving of the title.

True, it is only a Sky TV programme, and the result is about as relevant in the real world as the current Manchester United defence... but it was worth a comment, all the same.

So come on, rant away!
Tue 16/03/04 at 17:21
"High polygon count"
Think of the great players we've seen in The Premiership since it began.

The flair. The skill. The quality.

I say "Premiership's greatest player", and you think of... who?

Thierry Henry with his pace? Dennis Bergkamp with his vision and skill? Kanu with his elastic legs?

Ruud van Nistelrooy with his poached goals? Ryan Giggs with his flying wing play? David Beckham with his free kicks? Eric Cantona with his... erm... poetry?

Little Michael Owen (before his knee injury, when he was good)?

The 'much-loved' Gianfranco Zola?

The fiery Di Canio?

The list goes on.

Well whoever you thought of, you are invariably wrong. (Unless you saw the same programme...)

According to Sky One's "The Premiership's Greatest..." last night, apparently "you, the fans" voted for...

Alan Shearer!

Now I know that at some point ALASTAIR is (possibly) going to post in this thread, quite probably with one of his infamous Tourette's style, expletive-riddled rants aimed squarely at me... and that's a risk I'm willing to take.

But... COME ON!!!

Where did they hold this 'vote'? A pub in Newcastle?

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I think of "great" players, I think in terms of Pele, Cruyff, Platini, van Basten... players who are, or will be, remembered the world over long after they've given up The Beautiful Game.

But outside of Newcastle and (maybe) the North of England, who is going to be looking back in 30 years time and thinking to themselves, "What about that Alan Shearer? He really set the football world alight."

This isn't a "biased Gooner" post. The team I support is irrelevant. It's just my considered opinion that there have been any number of players in the Premiership who have been, are and will be more deserving of the title.

True, it is only a Sky TV programme, and the result is about as relevant in the real world as the current Manchester United defence... but it was worth a comment, all the same.

So come on, rant away!
Tue 16/03/04 at 17:29
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
Alan Shearer! Ahahahahahahahahaha! :)

My vote goes to Eric Cantona then Thierry Henry then David Beckham.

(By the way I'm a Man U fan)
Tue 16/03/04 at 17:39
Regular
"Colourless"
Zola is/was the best player I have ever witnessed to date, his skill was incredible. Some of the goals he scored and set up were sublime. Three that stuck out for me were the flick against norwich, his scoop for Poyet's scissor volley vs Sunderland, and then his goal against Wimbledon in the semi-final of the cup in 97 is probably one of the best goals I have ever seen.

And not only was he a superb talent but a true gentlemen in everything he did. Even in leaving the club.

He wins it for me.

Thierry Henry must be there or thereabouts and I'd also like to nominate Matt Le Tissier as someone who I think should have been in close contention.
Tue 16/03/04 at 18:16
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
There's nothing wrong with Shearer. I don't see how all of you can constantly refer to him as an over-rated player. He's scored more goals than anyone else in Premiership history, and is still scoring on a regular basis despite his age. And the number of goals he scored for England is fairly high as well: certainly higher than most players to have played for England. 30+ goals for your country is an excellent record, no matter who you play for. And about 500 goals overall in his career? Crap? Yeah, sure, if you want to believe that...

Maybe some people can't take the fact that he's probably scored more goals against their club than they've had birthdays in their life.
Tue 16/03/04 at 18:19
"High polygon count"
AfroJoe wrote:
> There's nothing wrong with Shearer. I don't see how all of you can
> constantly refer to him as an over-rated player.

Sorry, but in this thread I've made no such referral. I'm simply saying that in terms of "greatest players" there are many others who come to mind before him.
Tue 16/03/04 at 18:26
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Fair enough. The point wasn't soley directed at your post here, however. What about that thread a week or so ago containing Ruud Gullit's comments towards Shearer, which I think you yourself posted, Wookiee? Again, I'm not pointing any fingers, but from what I gathered skimming over the topic, there was a general feeling that apparently suggests Alan Shearer is over-rated.

Now, maybe he isn't the greatest player ever to grace the Premiership, and I didn't say whether I agreed or disagreed with this point originally. But I don't think there are many others who have achieved as much as he has in his career; goal-wise anyway.

And comparing him to Pele, Cruyff, Van Basten and Platini is hardly exactly the fairest way of looking at Shearer. He probably isn't as good as those players: however, they didn't play in the Premiership, OR in England at all, did they? Unfair comparison.
Tue 16/03/04 at 18:41
Regular
"The Red Shift"
shearer never made it in europe. very damaging. one winners medal domestically. very damaging. he's never really set the world alight, but when you talk about influence and consistency there are pretty much none better.

i would say that those involved would be: zola, bergkamp, schemeichel

these three are the most skilled, talented, gifted and are very consistent and comitted.

i also think of henry and becks, but they haven't really played for long enough. i think consistency has to come into it somewhere.
Tue 16/03/04 at 18:46
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
To be absolutely honest, before posting in this Thread, I thought that you were asking us for our opinions. And with that in mind, I WAS actually going to say Alan Shearer :)

Apart from scoring non-stop since the Premiership began, he doesn't have much else which you can say about him, but he's got that something which makes him so well admired and respected.

So Alan Shearer? Correct =P
Tue 16/03/04 at 18:54
Regular
"Baros!!!"
Shearer is a quality player, but I wouldn't have him a my number 1. I'd have him in the top 10 though.

There have been many great players in the premiership and Henry would be top of the crop for me. He doesn't only score goals, but he creates them too. You wouldn't see players like Van Nistlerooy taking corners and running from the half way line.

I'd have Henry as the best player in the world, never mind the Premiership.

Here's my top 10 for the Premiership:

1. Henry
2. Beckham
3. Schmeical
4. Cantona
5. Shearer
6. Owen
7. Wright
8. Beardsley
9. Rush
10. Zola

Might of missed a load of great players of the list, but those were the first ones to come to my head.
Tue 16/03/04 at 18:56
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Eric Cantona/Ian Wright

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.