GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The greatest player ever to grace The Premiership is...?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/03/04 at 17:21
"High polygon count"
Think of the great players we've seen in The Premiership since it began.

The flair. The skill. The quality.

I say "Premiership's greatest player", and you think of... who?

Thierry Henry with his pace? Dennis Bergkamp with his vision and skill? Kanu with his elastic legs?

Ruud van Nistelrooy with his poached goals? Ryan Giggs with his flying wing play? David Beckham with his free kicks? Eric Cantona with his... erm... poetry?

Little Michael Owen (before his knee injury, when he was good)?

The 'much-loved' Gianfranco Zola?

The fiery Di Canio?

The list goes on.

Well whoever you thought of, you are invariably wrong. (Unless you saw the same programme...)

According to Sky One's "The Premiership's Greatest..." last night, apparently "you, the fans" voted for...

Alan Shearer!

Now I know that at some point ALASTAIR is (possibly) going to post in this thread, quite probably with one of his infamous Tourette's style, expletive-riddled rants aimed squarely at me... and that's a risk I'm willing to take.

But... COME ON!!!

Where did they hold this 'vote'? A pub in Newcastle?

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I think of "great" players, I think in terms of Pele, Cruyff, Platini, van Basten... players who are, or will be, remembered the world over long after they've given up The Beautiful Game.

But outside of Newcastle and (maybe) the North of England, who is going to be looking back in 30 years time and thinking to themselves, "What about that Alan Shearer? He really set the football world alight."

This isn't a "biased Gooner" post. The team I support is irrelevant. It's just my considered opinion that there have been any number of players in the Premiership who have been, are and will be more deserving of the title.

True, it is only a Sky TV programme, and the result is about as relevant in the real world as the current Manchester United defence... but it was worth a comment, all the same.

So come on, rant away!
Tue 16/03/04 at 23:12
"High polygon count"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> The Premiership's all-time record goalscorer deserves a
> little more credit than you seem willing to give him.

It's not a question of giving credit. He is a good player, I've said that elsewhere. And by anyone's standard, he is a great role model as Grandprix says (if a little on the boring side...) I just don't see him as a great player, and certainly not the best to appear in the Premeriship.

The main reason he's the Premiership's leading scorer is because he's one of very few strikers who has been around since the Premiership began.

Other strikers, who I believe would be more deserving of the mantle, have either retired, left the Premiership, or for one reason or another moved to lesser teams where their scoring chances have been reduced, more as a result of those around them than anything else.

Season-by-season, it's a different story.

Looking at the top scorers on the official Premiership site, he is more often than not outgunned by other strikers. In fact, he hasn't been the top scorer since the 96/97 season.

He was top scorer 3 seasons in a row (94/95, 95/96, 96/97), but has been out-scored every season since by at least one person, often more. For 97/98 and 00/01 he didn't even make the top 10.

Cole and Yorke, for example, were highly rated at United, and appear above Shearer for several seasons, but drop away after moving to Blackburn.

Hasselbaink, Fowler, Owen, Bergkamp, Quinn, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Le Tissier, Sutton and Beardsley are all up there too, and a few of those would spring to my mind before Shearer.

Shearer has at least had the benefit of constantly playing for a club that has achieved a consistently decent level during the Premiership years.

So yes, credit to Shearer for keeping it going. But that still doesn't make him a "great" player.

There have been a few mentions of his goals-to-games ratio. Henry has an almost identical goals-to-games ratio (0.63 to Shearer's 0.64) from less than half the number of games, and he's a converted winger, not a true striker. So is Shearer really "a great"?

Good, yes. Very good, probably. Maybe even excellent. But great? Not for me.
Tue 16/03/04 at 23:28
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Matt Le Tissier or Thierry Henry would be my top two. Add Ian Wright for a third.
Tue 16/03/04 at 23:31
Regular
Shearer is you stupid sod. I thought someone as interested in football as you are would realise he is quite simply one of the best player the permiership has seen and by far the most consistent goal scorer. Want facts? Check his record, its speaks for itself not to mention all the work he puts in that you don't see when you scan over the Premiership on a Saturday night.
Tue 16/03/04 at 23:37
Regular
I'd have Cantona, Henry and Beckham ahead of Shearer.
Tue 16/03/04 at 23:39
Regular
Or should I say best goal scorer, for me he is both but then again I never miss a game he plays in so you could call me biased; having said that he made the FA panel's best premiership team ever, Pele's best 120 players of all time (although that was ruined by the addition of Diouf) and he is the most consitent goal scorer the English league has ever seen, ask any manager in the Premiership and I bet they all mention Shearer. God knows why you are saying otherwise, its beyond me why anyone would think so.

Other contenders/players worth a mention:

Fowler at Liverpool, Le Tissier, Cantona, Giggs (of old), Scholes, Juninho originally at Middlesborough, Zola and Bergkamp, Klinsmann, Gary Pallister at UTD, Tony Adams, David Seaman, Schemichael amongst others.

As for Henry, ye come back in 7-8 years time and ask me the question, as it stands he is the most excting player in the world but his record is not extensive enough for all time, neither is Nistel's,
Tue 16/03/04 at 23:47
Regular
Don or†ega wrote:
> Henry and Beckham ahead of Shearer.

All time? Ho ho. They haven't even been around in the league half as much as Shearer or proved it at International level like Shearer has. He averaged 1 goal in every international game and as much as I admire Beckham as a player we are talking about all time, not just 2-4- years.
Tue 16/03/04 at 23:48
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
Pele's
> best 120 players of all time (although that was ruined by the
> addition of Diouf)

not to mention Juan Sebastian Veron, Michael Owen, Javier Saviola, David Trezeguet, Christian Vieri....etc etc

The list was a complete joke.
Tue 16/03/04 at 23:50
Regular
In the end it turned out to be over whelming, not to mention the exclusion of the best Brazilian player outside of Pele but that was all down to the fact that Pele never saw eye to eye with him.
Tue 16/03/04 at 23:53
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Don or†ega wrote:
> Henry and Beckham ahead of Shearer.
>
> All time? Ho ho. They haven't even been around in the league half as
> much as Shearer or proved it at International level like Shearer has.

Beckham not proved it at International level? He pretty much IS england at the moment! Beckham was a major part of United winning 6 championships. 8 seasons infact. Only half the time of shearer? Hardly

Henry may not have been around for long, but this season and the last has proved to be beyond anything else the premiership has seen. Far surpasing anything Shearer ever will do in 100 seasons!
Tue 16/03/04 at 23:55
Regular
Oh hohoho. Yes thats why Shearer has been leading goal scorer more than any other player. Henry hasn't even scraped what Shearer has achieved. I can't believe how ill-informed some people on here are. Do you all just sit at home reading the Sun newspaper and watching the 5 minute premiership highlights?!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.