GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The greatest player ever to grace The Premiership is...?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/03/04 at 17:21
"High polygon count"
Think of the great players we've seen in The Premiership since it began.

The flair. The skill. The quality.

I say "Premiership's greatest player", and you think of... who?

Thierry Henry with his pace? Dennis Bergkamp with his vision and skill? Kanu with his elastic legs?

Ruud van Nistelrooy with his poached goals? Ryan Giggs with his flying wing play? David Beckham with his free kicks? Eric Cantona with his... erm... poetry?

Little Michael Owen (before his knee injury, when he was good)?

The 'much-loved' Gianfranco Zola?

The fiery Di Canio?

The list goes on.

Well whoever you thought of, you are invariably wrong. (Unless you saw the same programme...)

According to Sky One's "The Premiership's Greatest..." last night, apparently "you, the fans" voted for...

Alan Shearer!

Now I know that at some point ALASTAIR is (possibly) going to post in this thread, quite probably with one of his infamous Tourette's style, expletive-riddled rants aimed squarely at me... and that's a risk I'm willing to take.

But... COME ON!!!

Where did they hold this 'vote'? A pub in Newcastle?

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I think of "great" players, I think in terms of Pele, Cruyff, Platini, van Basten... players who are, or will be, remembered the world over long after they've given up The Beautiful Game.

But outside of Newcastle and (maybe) the North of England, who is going to be looking back in 30 years time and thinking to themselves, "What about that Alan Shearer? He really set the football world alight."

This isn't a "biased Gooner" post. The team I support is irrelevant. It's just my considered opinion that there have been any number of players in the Premiership who have been, are and will be more deserving of the title.

True, it is only a Sky TV programme, and the result is about as relevant in the real world as the current Manchester United defence... but it was worth a comment, all the same.

So come on, rant away!
Thu 18/03/04 at 22:51
I like Shearer.

And I wouldn't say he's over rated either.
Thu 18/03/04 at 17:24
Regular
"^^^New Online Arcad"
Just want to point out and say the names

JAY JAY OKACHA
PAULO DI CANIO

maybe not the best players ever but u gotta say some of the skills they have produced derseves them gettin mentioned in here
Thu 18/03/04 at 17:07
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Ju§t Tinkª wrote:
> Azul wrote:
> LMAO!
>
> Alastair for Notable.
>
> Great way to end an argument that. Suck his ass.
>
> Changed your tune quicker than a bagpipe that had been sat on by
> Belldandy.

It's called sarcasm, you idiotic smacktard.
:)
Thu 18/03/04 at 16:05
Regular
Thierry Henry is probably the best player at the moment but back in the 90's i think it would of had to have been Alan Shearer and i still think he is the greatest Premiership player.
Thu 18/03/04 at 13:32
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I can't agree with the Alan Shearer thing either. However, I do rate the former-England No.9 very highly, despite all the critisism and grunts a lot of you seem happy to give him. He was always a goal-scorer. He was ever-reliable when England (or Blackburn, Newcastle...) needed him, and his goals, the most. The ideal target-man for any strike-force. A man the great Sven-Goran Eriksson has still not yet managed to replace...

For me, Paulo Di Canio's the man. Not only was he a great individual with some exceptional skills and a real talent, but, every game he played for West Ham, he played like it was going to be his last. And that's something you very rarely get in a foreign player - especially an Italian. A true role model to us all (... aside from the ref-shoving incident, of course!).

It was a mistake for him to have not recieved a single international cap for his country. When I saw him crying as West Ham's fate was decided last season, I saw it all.

Sure, you could say a lot of similar things about a player like Zola or Dennis Bergkamp; but, where is the real love and commitment from them? They're not quite the characters either.

Alan Shearer often seems to score-highly on Sky's much-loved Opta Index stats, too, y'know.... Not that I'm suggesting anything, of course. :P
Thu 18/03/04 at 13:15
Regular
Absolu† Neó wrote:
> If he actually removed them from his mouth, then he might even talk
> some sense.

If I managed to talk to people who didn't act like "them" then I might bother to construct an argument, as it stands though you can't argue against someone who fails to see the majority decision. I said my piece earlier on and now its just damn fun to peese about reading serious replies to joke like posts.
Thu 18/03/04 at 03:35
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Good!
Thu 18/03/04 at 00:08
"High polygon count"
I'm saying nothing!
Thu 18/03/04 at 00:06
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
If he actually removed them from his mouth, then he might even talk some sense.
Wed 17/03/04 at 23:43
Regular
Mens genitals seem to appear much to much in ÂLŠ†ÂÎR's posts for my liking.

Its just wrong! :S

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.