GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 or a dvd player"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/04/01 at 22:38
Regular
It is my birthday soon and i dont know whether to get either one of these. I have been advised by people like Ant ( Top Bloke). Could anyone advise me.

Thanks GR
Sun 08/04/01 at 19:45
he does not. But he does reccomend it but he never brags about it he just gave me his oppinion and his opinion with others convinced me to get it
Sun 08/04/01 at 19:42
ant didnt go on about it page boy!!
Sun 08/04/01 at 19:40
Regular
"I like cheese"
Pagey wrote:
> Ant you are obsessed with your PS2 more than I am obsessed with my
> Dreamcast. If anyone makes any sort of comment about your PS2 you go
> on about how excellent it is. It isn't excellent. Not by a long
> shot. Most people realise that it was a disappoinment. In my opinion
> you are not dumb for buying one but for going on thinking its the
> best thing ever when it isn't.

When have I gone on about it being the best thing ever???

I support it, but don't go on about it!!

Ask anyone on here, they'll tell you.
Sun 08/04/01 at 19:28
i know
Sun 08/04/01 at 19:27
Regular
Up to you Rhino.
Sun 08/04/01 at 19:22
is the dvd feature really tacky. Does it run on full screen or what?
Sat 07/04/01 at 20:00
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
Ant you are obsessed with your PS2 more than I am obsessed with my Dreamcast. If anyone makes any sort of comment about your PS2 you go on about how excellent it is. It isn't excellent. Not by a long shot. Most people realise that it was a disappoinment. In my opinion you are not dumb for buying one but for going on thinking its the best thing ever when it isn't.
Sat 07/04/01 at 19:30
Regular
"I like cheese"
fitz wrote:
> Mixing a gaming device with a DVD player is a bad idea. Sony tried
> this with the minidisk(walkman & floppy disk anyone?) and it
> failed. Sony should have seen a problem with the DVD player from a
> mile off. How can a dedicated gaming console handle the extra
> features offered by DVD's. DVD's are a good medium for gaming, but
> how many people use their PS1 to play CD's. At the moment, there is
> not much software support for the PS2, and so buying a PS1 for less
> then £100, and then another DVD player for around £150
> means that it wil be cheaper to buy a PS1, and DVD player and some
> great games for less than it costs to buy a PS2.
Sony are not dumb,
> but they make the asumption that the majority of people that own a
> PS2 are, and I fear that they are right.
Now that sega have pulled
> out of the race, and Nintendo seem silent on their next-gen console
> front, Sony look like dominating the market again.

So I'm dumb cos I bought a PS2??

I think you're the dumb one posting a comment like that. Who do you think you are?!? Go on the PS2 forum and put that, then, see what they think.
Sat 07/04/01 at 19:26
"Uzi Lover"
I really do think that you should get a Playstation 2 for your lucky day!

If you are into gaming then the PS2 is a great choice, plus it includes a DVD player within it so you aren't really losing out.

The PS2 is sure to have a long lifespan within the gaming world and the catolgue of games coming out is fantastic. Look at all the great games that came out for the PS! Its sure to happen again with the PS2 as they have gained support from games developers via the PS.

DVD players will become much more cheaper and a much wider range of players will be available very soon. So leaving your DVD player is a good choice, then go snatch one when the deals are good.

Really though, you have to ask yourself: Which will I use more? the PS2 or the DVD player?

Its your desision, lets hope you make the right one...
Sat 07/04/01 at 19:09
Mixing a gaming device with a DVD player is a bad idea. Sony tried this with the minidisk(walkman & floppy disk anyone?) and it failed. Sony should have seen a problem with the DVD player from a mile off. How can a dedicated gaming console handle the extra features offered by DVD's. DVD's are a good medium for gaming, but how many people use their PS1 to play CD's. At the moment, there is not much software support for the PS2, and so buying a PS1 for less then £100, and then another DVD player for around £150 means that it wil be cheaper to buy a PS1, and DVD player and some great games for less than it costs to buy a PS2.
Sony are not dumb, but they make the asumption that the majority of people that own a PS2 are, and I fear that they are right.
Now that sega have pulled out of the race, and Nintendo seem silent on their next-gen console front, Sony look like dominating the market again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.