GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"An iPod question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/03/04 at 23:51
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'm thinking of buying an iPod on tuesday (make the most of cheap Canadian prices while i'm here) and i was just wondering what those who already have one think of it. Is it worth buying in your opinion and also does it work on your computer straight out the box because the one i'm looking at is talking about a firewire interface and because i'm as computer literate as a dead cat i have no idea whether my computer will be compatible with it seeing as i only have USB ports.

So any help is much appreciated.
Sun 07/03/04 at 19:27
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Ive got an iPod.

Works fine, best thing ive bought, the battery lasts long, and all the rumours are wrong.

Buy one. Zen are crap in comparason
Sun 07/03/04 at 23:32
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
lalakersrule wrote:
> adrian wrote:
> I am also considering an iPod or a Zen. My question is how do you
> charge the battery? You see I am off to New York City in less than 5
> weeks and with the dollar to the pound rate I might be able to save
> a
> lot of cash. If the battery is charged via a external powersupply
> i.e
> one where is can cope with 110-240V and 50 to 60 hz, then its just a
> case of using a 3 pin plug. Otherwise it means converting the
> powersupply with a stepdown converter, in which case I wont bother
> getting one. I would like to know before I go as then I will
> probably
> see if I can squeeze a couple hundred dollars more in spending
> money.
>
>
> Actually that's a good point i had forgotten about that. Might have
> to get a stepdown converter if the adapter is suited to canadian plug
> sockets.

All depends on whether its an external charger. For my Digital camera and camcorder the charger is 110-240v and 50-60hz. Basically when I go to NYC I will be able to use the chargers with a American powerlead or a small converter plug(£3) and it will work. If the iPod etc have the same thing then the power issue wont be a problem. If they arent then you may need a step down converter.
Mon 08/03/04 at 00:51
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
The iPod will work in any country, because it has a transformer to make sure it gets the right voltage.

www.ipodlounge.com

Ask questions on the forums and they can answer better then these goons can.
Mon 08/03/04 at 09:38
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
H²O wrote:
> The iPod will work in any country, because it has a transformer to
> make sure it gets the right voltage.

Thanks. Have to see what sort of price they are in NYC and the sort of saving I will make.
Mon 08/03/04 at 10:44
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
The same plug is used for all models just a different connector for the different countries.

SO to get a UK iPod to work in America all you need is a convertor or buy an extra AC adapter from apple.

To get a US iPod to work in the UK you can buy another adapter from the apple uk site or get a convertor.
Mon 08/03/04 at 11:18
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Ipod = Great storage, ridiculous price, excellent size, get to be 'cool'
Zen = Excellent storage, far better price, not so good siz, get to be serious and just want to listen to music, not be a fashion groupie.
Mon 08/03/04 at 12:41
Regular
Sigh.

It's like the console fanboy thing, but for mp3 players.

"fashion groupie"

*rolls eyes*
Mon 08/03/04 at 14:10
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hardly, it's just Ipods are more fashion statements than actual gadgets for most people. I.e, they're featured in 'Style Guides' and such like. Nowt wrong with them, or people who use them, except when people buy them for fashion reasons. That's just lame. Whereas the Zen, it's so much more chunky, nobody could ever do the same! :)
Mon 08/03/04 at 14:45
Regular
I've seen the zen, its nice, but it just seems a bit chunky.

And if I did get an iPod it wouldn't be on show, ever. Always kept away from prying eyes.
Mon 08/03/04 at 15:03
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I bought my iPod because I thought they looked good, my brother got one and it did everything I wanted and also seemed simple enough to set up and use.

I didn't know much about any alternatives such as the Zen, had heard a few bad things about the customer service when trying to get the Zen fixed or replaced and that put me off considering it.

I know a few others who own iPods and who think they are great, havn't had problems with them and use them a lot.

Also the iPod had extras that I knew I would use quite a bit such as the iTrip, jam jacket and battery pack, I have no idea if similar things are available for the likes of the Zen.

That and I got an educational discount from Apple. :-)

All falls down to personal taste and what you own.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.