GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"An iPod question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/03/04 at 23:51
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'm thinking of buying an iPod on tuesday (make the most of cheap Canadian prices while i'm here) and i was just wondering what those who already have one think of it. Is it worth buying in your opinion and also does it work on your computer straight out the box because the one i'm looking at is talking about a firewire interface and because i'm as computer literate as a dead cat i have no idea whether my computer will be compatible with it seeing as i only have USB ports.

So any help is much appreciated.
Sat 06/03/04 at 23:51
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'm thinking of buying an iPod on tuesday (make the most of cheap Canadian prices while i'm here) and i was just wondering what those who already have one think of it. Is it worth buying in your opinion and also does it work on your computer straight out the box because the one i'm looking at is talking about a firewire interface and because i'm as computer literate as a dead cat i have no idea whether my computer will be compatible with it seeing as i only have USB ports.

So any help is much appreciated.
Sun 07/03/04 at 00:18
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I would say that if you would use it then get one. I got one at Christmas and use it everyday in the car and around the house. If you can get an Itrip too as that allows you to play your iPod through any radio such as your hi fi or car radio. My cousin sent an iTrip over from America and its an excellent add on for the iPod.

You need a firewire slot in your PC or a USB port. If you only have the USB port you need to buy and extra cable with your iPod, ask the guy in the place you buy it and they should tell you exactly which cable you need.

What model you going for? Would say its better value going for the ones that give you the dock connector with it.
Sun 07/03/04 at 00:24
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
AliBoy wrote:

> What model you going for? Would say its better value going for the
> ones that give you the dock connector with it.

Not sure at the moment i'm just looking at different ones see which grabs my interest. Have to say the 20GB hard drive is very tempting, all i need is about 5000 songs now to put onto it.

What would you say is the best model to get??
Sun 07/03/04 at 00:28
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
lalakersrule wrote:

> What would you say is the best model to get??

I got the 20GB model, more than enough space for all the music I own and it came with a good selection of accesories. The 40GB model I thought was just too much space to fill and it is also a little bigger than the other models.
Sun 07/03/04 at 00:31
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
AliBoy wrote:
> lalakersrule wrote:
>
> What would you say is the best model to get??
>
> I got the 20GB model, more than enough space for all the music I own
> and it came with a good selection of accesories.

What did it come with?

The 40GB model I
> thought was just too much space to fill and it is also a little
> bigger than the other models.

Yea the 20GB for me would be too much to fill so there's no way i'd go for the 40GB model. Also does it come with an anti-skip feature built in because when i was looking at product details of it i never saw anything about that.
And pretty obvious question i suppose but how does it all work? Do you connect your iPod into your PC with the firewire thing and then upload all the tracks you've got onto it then just go off and listen to it? (like i said when it comes to techy things i'm about as smart as an american president)
Sun 07/03/04 at 00:40
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
lalakersrule wrote:

> What did it come with?

Off the top of my head it came with
Connection dock
leather carry case
earphones with wired remote
AC adapter

> And pretty obvious question i suppose but how does it all work? Do
> you connect your iPod into your PC with the firewire thing and then
> upload all the tracks you've got onto it then just go off and listen
> to it? (like i said when it comes to techy things i'm about as smart
> as an american president)

You instal software for it using the CD supplied. Then use either music match jukebox or iTunes to organise all your music (I use iTunes) you then put the ipod in the dock and connect the dock to your PC using the firewire (or USB using the extra lead)..
Computer should automatically see it and transfer all the songs for you over.

Then you can listen to it. Might need to charge it first though :-)
Sun 07/03/04 at 00:48
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
AliBoy wrote:

> You instal software for it using the CD supplied. Then use either
> music match jukebox or iTunes to organise all your music (I use
> iTunes) you then put the ipod in the dock and connect the dock to
> your PC using the firewire (or USB using the extra lead)..
> Computer should automatically see it and transfer all the songs for
> you over.

How much will the extra lead set me back for the USB? Are we just talking a couple of quid here?
So once i've installed that software it will automatically find all my mp3 files and transer them to my iPod? And also does it put them in neat folders like A,B,C,D etc etc because i'd rather not have to go through about a thousand songs to find the one i want :-D
Lastly, does it have the anti-skip feature? Just i'd like to be able to travel around with it when i'm going to work or whatever without it sounding like a bad DJ scratching the record

>
> Then you can listen to it. Might need to charge it first though :-)

On second thoughts no i'm not as dumb as an American president because i'd already thought of that :-) Speaking of which how many hours do you get from a full charge??
Sun 07/03/04 at 00:59
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
lalakersrule wrote:

> How much will the extra lead set me back for the USB? Are we just
> talking a couple of quid here?

Not sure as my dad got me a firewire card for christmas for my laptop.

> So once i've installed that software it will automatically find all
> my mp3 files and transer them to my iPod? And also does it put them
> in neat folders like A,B,C,D etc etc because i'd rather not have to
> go through about a thousand songs to find the one i want :-D

What I did was add all the songs into an itunes library, imported all my CD's and made sure that the artist, song and album names where all correct. It stores all the music by artist name. When you connect the iPod it opens up iTunes and copys all the songs that are in the library onto the iPod.
Stores them alphabetically by Artist name but you can also search using the album and song names too.

What I also did was create a playlist in itunes with my favourite artists just so when I know what I want to listen to I can just put that on.

> Lastly, does it have the anti-skip feature? Just i'd like to be able
> to travel around with it when i'm going to work or whatever without
> it sounding like a bad DJ scratching the record

My brother goes out running with his so I guess, also it dosn;t have any moving parts inside so I doubt it would skip at all.

Speaking of which how many
> hours do you get from a full charge??

Says about 8 but if you use the backlight and use the scroll wheel to change artists and albums a lot then this is reduced a little.
Sun 07/03/04 at 01:06
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Ok thanks for the information Ali, very much appreciated. Pop off on Tuesday and go get me a 20GB iPod with a firewire card and i'll be all set for my musical pleasure. Now to go download about 5000 songs to put on the damn thing :-D
Sun 07/03/04 at 01:14
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
No problem, anything else then just ask :-)

Time for bed I think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.