GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"An iPod question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/03/04 at 23:51
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'm thinking of buying an iPod on tuesday (make the most of cheap Canadian prices while i'm here) and i was just wondering what those who already have one think of it. Is it worth buying in your opinion and also does it work on your computer straight out the box because the one i'm looking at is talking about a firewire interface and because i'm as computer literate as a dead cat i have no idea whether my computer will be compatible with it seeing as i only have USB ports.

So any help is much appreciated.
Sun 07/03/04 at 01:23
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
All I've heard about iPods recently is that the battery dies after 16 months and you can't get a replacement. Apple won't fix it, and the only way to get round the problem is to buy a new one. And I've heard this from a number of different sources, so it isn't just speculation.

Personally I think I'd go for the Creative Zen, it's bigger, cheaper and you get more music for your cash. Looks aren't everything y'know, and every time I see some jogger out listening to his iPod I want to smash his face in.
Sun 07/03/04 at 01:28
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> All I've heard about iPods recently is that the battery dies after 16
> months and you can't get a replacement. Apple won't fix it, and the
> only way to get round the problem is to buy a new one. And I've
> heard this from a number of different sources, so it isn't just
> speculation.

Yeah some people do have problems with their batteries. Apple now offer a battery replacement thing though so if it does end up not working you can send it back to them and get a new battery fitted.
Alternative is to buy a new battery and fit it yourself.

I think its to do with the type of battery (bit similar to a mobile phone one) in that if you wait till it needs charged and then charge it you can make it last longer whereas if you constantly charge it after a little use you reduce the time you get from it when fully charged.
Sun 07/03/04 at 01:32
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Have to say the Creative Zen does look better and has USB connections so i think i may be going for that now i've wasted Ali's time :-D Sorry about that mate.
Sun 07/03/04 at 02:12
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Sorry Ali but i'm going to go with Snuggly, i've checked the Zen out and it looks cooler but also comes with all the stuff the iPod would but also has the USB cable packaged with it so it'll be ready fresh out the box. Thanks for your help though it was very much appreciated.
Sun 07/03/04 at 10:20
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I am also considering an iPod or a Zen. My question is how do you charge the battery? You see I am off to New York City in less than 5 weeks and with the dollar to the pound rate I might be able to save a lot of cash. If the battery is charged via a external powersupply i.e one where is can cope with 110-240V and 50 to 60 hz, then its just a case of using a 3 pin plug. Otherwise it means converting the powersupply with a stepdown converter, in which case I wont bother getting one. I would like to know before I go as then I will probably see if I can squeeze a couple hundred dollars more in spending money.
Sun 07/03/04 at 15:55
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> All I've heard about iPods recently is that the battery dies after 16
> months and you can't get a replacement. Apple won't fix it, and the
> only way to get round the problem is to buy a new one. And I've
> heard this from a number of different sources, so it isn't just
> speculation.

The whole story having very little value whatsoever. All rechargable batteries have a limited life, vastly exaggerated if you don't use them as recommended and fully discharge and recharge the battery at least once a month. Apple didn't offer the replacement service up until a few months ago, but now do; and third party replacements are also available.

I had my first iPod for about two years, with no battery problems. Current one (replaced to get larger, newer model) has been in use for about a year, with no problems. Both models probably got about, on average, two hours use a day; and neither were that well looked after in terms of following the regular discharge, recharge procedures.
Sun 07/03/04 at 16:32
Regular
"Teal'c"
Zen = beats all your ásses.
Sun 07/03/04 at 17:39
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I think the iPod looks much nicer than the Zen.

Personally.
Sun 07/03/04 at 18:06
Regular
I've been thinking about getting an iPod recently, I'm going to be getting a serious amount of moo'lah soon, so I was hoping to get one.

Where can you find them cheap enough?
Sun 07/03/04 at 19:22
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
adrian wrote:
> I am also considering an iPod or a Zen. My question is how do you
> charge the battery? You see I am off to New York City in less than 5
> weeks and with the dollar to the pound rate I might be able to save a
> lot of cash. If the battery is charged via a external powersupply i.e
> one where is can cope with 110-240V and 50 to 60 hz, then its just a
> case of using a 3 pin plug. Otherwise it means converting the
> powersupply with a stepdown converter, in which case I wont bother
> getting one. I would like to know before I go as then I will probably
> see if I can squeeze a couple hundred dollars more in spending money.

Actually that's a good point i had forgotten about that. Might have to get a stepdown converter if the adapter is suited to canadian plug sockets.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.