GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube - V - Xbox - V - PlayStation 2"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/03/04 at 21:28
Regular
": ("
Seriously, this isn't one of those post where they just post it in becuase its such a common question.I really wanna know which console out of them three is the best, i dont wanna answer like " Well, the Xbox is good because of its online and the PS2 is good becuase.....blah blah blah" i just wanna know which one is the best overall, please, i really wanna know before i choose the wrong one, many thanks.
Wed 03/03/04 at 19:01
Regular
"..."
Lan Di wrote:
> Why not have all 3?
It's the concept
Wed 03/03/04 at 19:00
Regular
"Enchilladas"
Why not have all 3?
Wed 03/03/04 at 18:58
"I love yo... lamp."
Maybe he meant iQue?
Wed 03/03/04 at 18:55
"Metal Head"
I preffer the Playstation 2
Wed 03/03/04 at 18:54
TGMbloke wrote:
> *Que

Nooooooooooo
Wed 03/03/04 at 18:47
"I love yo... lamp."
TGMbloke wrote:
> Really? Is everyone else cube ok?

No, mine has crashed once or twice.
>
> My XBOX admitidly crashed once...In Splinter Cell. But just once, and
> that was over a year ago.

My only Xbox crashes have been in ESPN, at the same point every time. It is a bug in the game rather than a hardware fault. No other game has had any problems.
>
> My GC - ARGH! At least once a week, quite often while saving. I have
> to make backups of my saves onto multiple cards...Is it just me? If
> so, perhaps I have a fualty powerline or somthing. Or perhaps
> Nintendo dont like me.

Alistair had something similar a fortnight or so back. I've lost stuff as well, even on an official card.
Wed 03/03/04 at 18:45
"I love yo... lamp."
Cwazy Wabbit™ wrote:
> I've made my decision to stay with the PS2, i've just been told that
> the Disc Read Error only affects the old models,the new versions
> have been cured and are now error free.

Don't believe them. They are still as ropey as ever.

I love the Gamecube, i used to
> be called GamecubeGuy thats how much i like it, so any GC fans dont
> feel offended by my dicision, all XBOX fans know they have a great
> console so i dont even need to upset you with my desicion.With the
> next GTA coming out, socom 2 on the way to my doorstep and GT4 coming
> i just cant say now to my PS2.

SOCOM 2 just is not as good as Rainbow Six 3. Or even Counter Strike for that matter. And Project Gotham Racing 2 is way ahead of any other racer, and I am 99% certain I will still think that after GT4. As for the next GTA, an improved version will appear on Xbox, just like with GTA3 and Vice City.
Wed 03/03/04 at 18:42
"I love yo... lamp."
Messy wrote:
> Riiiiight.
>
> Everyone loves the XBox and the GameCube. OK? Outta the way. XBox
> have Live!. Wow. Like, they're doing something so new! I've been
> playing games over the internet for 4 years now, I don't need to get
> a big box to do it on.

New, not really. Better than PC gaming? Yeah. I've stated the reasons for that before but I'll recap. Everyone has a broadband connection. Everyone has the same spec hardware so no one gets an advantage over others from that. Also much much less cheats. Other than a laptop, PCs are bigger than an Xbox. Don't use size as a reason.

The PS2 is online aswell, with SOCOM II
> looking great, as well as XIII, FIFA 2004 (it's no Pro Evo, but it'll
> do) and THUG.

SOCOM is not as good as Rainbow Six 3, not by far. Why do you think I don't play it anymore? SOCOM 2 isn't much better either, still inferior to Rainbow Six 3. And Counter Strike, and Ghost Recon and Ghost Recon Island Thunder. XIII on Xbox is the best version incidentally and the Live multiplayer has been compared to Goldeneye by some. I'm not a FIFA fan. No big deal to me. However there are strong rumours going around that EA will be signing a Live agreement with MS, meaning of course that FIFA will be on the superior Live service in future.

Tony Hawks is fun, but only with your own mates and barrels of beer. Online just isn't the same. But hey, if you want a decent boarding game for online, get Amped 2, the best snowboarding game yet released.

Those, bar XIII and SOCOM, are multi-platform, which
> isn't really helping. Even XIII is on the PC. And the graphics are
> better, but frankly, SSX 3 looks great, MGS 2 has arguably (and I
> will) the best graphics in any game, ever.

Project Gotham Racing 2, Otogi and Splinter Cell all come to mind instantly as being much nicer looking. As does the video of Halo 2.

And who cares? So your
> XBox has a faster processor and better graphics and so does the
> GameCube, big deal. Get over it. Half of you have mentioned it, end
> it there. In the words of MegaTokyo, "Relax, we understand
> j00."

A lot of people care. They were the people who bought the Playstation 2 over the Dreamcast. Those were the people who get good graphics cards.
>
> The PS2 has worse graphics because it was released a year and a bit
> before the others, to get that all important edge. Surely it would
> have been less of a success if it hadn't, but it would have probably
> been equaly as good specs wise as the XBox or the Gamecube.
>
Simply not possible with out a massive internal redesign. Quite simply from a computer hardware point of view it was a mess. I could have done a better job. The Xbox Next is the way to do it, parallel 64 bit PowerPC processors.

> As for hitting out at the controller, I do not understand, you must
> all (especially you Hedfix) have hands the size of India.

I do have big hands. You know what they say it shows though....

All my
> friends have PS2's. Period. None of them are going "Arrrrrgh!
> Damn this stupid controller, I wish we had a big fat one with
> luminescent buttons because for some reason my thumbs cannot press
> the right button without extreme mental strength." in the middle
> of a Capture the Bag in TimeSplitters 2. Everyone's just playing,
> fine.

But it is crap, very much so. It needs proper analogue triggers and properly positioned analogue thumbsticks. Not to mention being bigger and the way the stems of the controller go... urgh it is horrible.

>
> If my memory serves me well I'm pretty sure the DC was critised
> because you needed huge hands to play it.

No, it was criticised for being small. It was quite easy to catch the wire with your fingers.

I'm pretty sure the XBox
> released a smaller controller because their first one was too big.

They have released a smaller version, the Controller S. I have heard some people refer to this as the best controller, or at least second best after the Gamecube. Again, I find this too small for me.

> I'm pretty sure the GameCube controller (don't kid yourself, look at
> it) has had a pretty direct influence from the Dual Analog 2. So
> don't complain about the controller.

Definitely wrong here. Nintendo did proper ergonomic studies whilst designing the GC controller, and it cost them millions too. But it paid off big time.
>
> The PS2, as it stands, is the most diverse, obviously, it doesn't
> need anything extra.

Wrong, memory card is needed. Well I suppose not, but I don't like having to restart all my games from the beginning every time I want to play them.

It doesn't need £20. It plays DVD's
> straight out of the box. For a lot of people, this is great! I know,
> three years ago, that there was no way I could afford to buy a DVD
> player. In fact, it's only recently that I've decided to buy one,
> thanks to the PS2 I haven't needed to.
>
Unless you have gotten one of the recent, internally redesigned PS2s or have a fancy cable (forget the name of it now) then you get poor picture quality. The Xbox always looked better, even through just a scart lead.

> To be honest I like them all. There is, in fact, very little
> difference between them. SONY is generally classed for the casual
> gamer, which is generally why it is picked on so badly by the forum
> going public,

Except for its poor build quality, few (in comparison to Gamecube or Xbox) exclusives, and lots of really dire games. Also, it is known as the "Sequel console to the console of sequels".

> the XBox is for the PC people,

Or for FPS or racing game fans. Or even for that matter RPG fans these days.

so it's obviously going
> to to do well if you ask online, and the GameCube inherits Nintendo's
> only true asset, a pretty hardcore fanbase.

No, the true assets are the Iintellectual Properties. No other company has Zelda or Mario on their console. (Note that whilst the Phillips CDi of over 10 years ago had versions of both, it was not a full blown console, was a commercial failure and is no longer produced).

> The truth is the PS2 is
> the cheapest,

EH?! Click Console Deals in the top left corner to see proof that that is simply rubbish. PS2 in its cheapest pack is £129.99 without any games or memory cards. At least the £129.99 Xbox has either Project Gotham Racing 2 and a memory card (which isn't needed remember), or two games free with it. The Gamecube is £84.99 with two free games and a memory card.

and that means more money which means more games. The
> PS2 has cheaper games as well, especially seeing as it's been out
> longer and more games have gone platinum.

More cheap games true. However the Xbox and Gamecube have platinum type ranges as well. Don't forget the PC here, it has a MUCH bigger back catalogue of cheap games, starting from as little as £2 if you look around. Games in general even, where else can you get Train Simulators?!
>
> For me, the PS2 is my favourite, obviously, but I'll happily sit and
> play the XBox or the GameCube. Offline, nobody likes XBox, by the
> way.

*collapses*

The Xbox offline is every inch as good as any other platform. It does have Halo, that little known game which everyone apart from me hated. And Knights Of The Old Republic, the best RPG in years. And Project Gotham Racing, which whilst not as good as Project Gotham Racing 2, is still immense. Also bear in mind that all the online Xbox games have offline modes as well. Project Gotham Racing 2 is spectacular even in single player. Amped, Worms, Morrowind, Crimson Skies, Jet Set Radio Future, GTA double pack; I'm getting bored now, you get the picture.

The point of this overly big post is to show that the PS2 does not have much to compete with the Xbox or the Gamecube. Once upon a time the PS2 was a decent platform, but it has now been eclipsed. If you really love Final Fantasy and various other series like Gran Turismo then yes, it would be worth owning. But I can't think of a genre in which a PS2 game is the best in the genre. Xbox wins in FPS and racers and RPGs. Gamecube in platformers and adventure games.

The DVD playback isn't a feature worth boasting about. It is inferior to the Xbox and you could buy a Gamecube + a much superior DVD player for the same money.

Online is not up to Live. Don't claim it is, because it just isn't.

I'm not a fanboy, I am a gamer. That is it. I don't have any platform loyalties now, they died with the Dreamcast.
Wed 03/03/04 at 18:36
Regular
"..."
Look , I'll give you the best , staright and final answer . The Xbox offers the best graphics , and if you like 1st person shooters there are many great games coming like half life 2 , and doom 3 , they are coming to pc also , but they will need high system requirements , there is also halo 2 which is Xbox exclusive . Now the PS2 and the Gamecube are similar , the good thing about both of them is the great exclusive games , if you would be interested in one of the following , get the ps2 :
The Final Fantasy Series
The Metal Gear Solid Series
The Onimusha Series
The Grand Theft Auto Series
Devil May Cry (Although there is a sequal , but it counts as one since the sequal is crap)
The Pro Evolution Soccer Series
Gran Turismo
in addition to the best Japanese games around , including some of the best role playing games ever
And Finally , the Gamecube , Get it if you are interested in one of the following:
Mario Games
The Legend Of Zelda Series
The Resident Evil Series
Meteroid Prime
Most action platformers , and they are actually the best action platformers around
Note :
In choosing a console , there is no definite , you have to make the choice , try to make your choices based on you previous experience with past Generation consoles , remember what games you liked on ps1 or n64
Wed 03/03/04 at 18:14
You're all talking about reliability - well I've taken a hammer to all three consoles and most of them stand up rather terribly to several, sharp blows. In retrospect, I should have just dropped them from the top floor of a building, would have been more fun to watch

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.