GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"World's Greatest Console"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 28/02/04 at 17:13
Regular
"Up your Arsenal!!"
Which console do you think is the best?I'd say PS2!
Tue 09/03/04 at 16:55
Regular
"Halo 2...when?!?!?!"
Well i think the best console ever has to be the x-box. It has call the class games! like halo, halo 2 which will be sooo good when it finally comes out. The graphics ARE AMAZING ITS. Its got a built in memory card (80mb) last for years. Ive had my x-box for about 1 year 1/2 and it still says i have at leats 80% memory free! I have about 26 games as well!!!

X-BOX IS THE BEST CONSOLE EVER, BUT IF IT WAS ANY CONSOLES IT WOULD HAVE TO BE THE SNES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X-BOX RULES!
Tue 09/03/04 at 16:56
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
That's great. Stay off the coffee.
Wed 10/03/04 at 12:16
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Wed 17/03/04 at 13:46
Regular
Well done Master Biggles ^^ you won
Wed 17/03/04 at 14:40
Regular
"A FF Fan - Forever!"
Hmmm the choices....
I started playing on games when I got a Spectrum ZX. Since then I have had a range of consoles ranging from Commodore 64 up to my recent one a Gamecube.
I missed out on the 16bit age, SNES and Megadrive, what I shame, so I currently play the old classics on my Gameboy Advance.
The console that seemed to really impress me was the PSX, it had such a huge leap in terms of graphics, and playability, many people said that the games produced on it were not the same as old school games. However when FF7 was realeased it just blew my mind, I thought wow! I never had played on such a high standard game before, almost everthing with this game was perfect, and when it was followed up by FF8 I was spoiled once again. I got highly addicted to the game, and even imagined myself playing the parts of the characters (some may say this is sad!).
Ever since the PSX, nothing really got my attention, not even the PS2 which was hyped up so much, it didn't quite meet anybodys expectations!
Only the Gamecube has surprised me, there is not much graphical difference between the PS2, XBOX and Gamecube, but it has brought back an important factor to many games, the playability, yes the playability of a game I believe is more important than the overall graphic. Combined with this a game should have a good storyline, this is still something that all games on all consoles need to work on. Only the odd game here or there nowadays has a good storyline, playability, and decent grahics!
So overall I think that the PSX was the best console!
Wed 17/03/04 at 23:33
Regular
The greatest console of all time is simply Nintendo's greatest acchievement... The Nintendo 64.

It was the perfect marriage of the worlds greatest Japanese developer (Nintendo) and the greatest western developer (RARE)... they launched hundreds of new franchises... and made some of the greatest games of all time.

Rare's legendary status opened with Goldeneye on the N64, leaving their main Killer Instinct and Donkey Kong years behind them. Suddenly a game that EA would forever try and fail to beat was born. Perfect Dark added to it... Banjo Kazooie will never be beaten by a western developer... Jet Force Gemini is the most fun third person game I've ever played.

Paper Mario, the criminally underratted RPG from Nintendo basically put an end to the life span of the greatest system of all time yes... but it was a nice quirky way to go. Super Smash Brothers appeared for the first time... Mario Party a now forever appearing Nintendo series was born... Camelot came aboard with Mario Golf and Tennis... Mario Kart made a bold and brave step into the new era of gaming... Zelda became the greatest game ever made... Turok found itself a home, Shadowman really harnessed the 64's power... Excitebike returned... Wave Race and Lylat Wars are very fond memories.

And Conker... oh my Conker... How I miss my bad fur day. Transfer paks, rumble paks, 3-pronged controllers.... The glory days of Rare Ware... how can this not be the greatest console of all time.

Lack of games yes, on cartridge yes.... but I know, and alone know... that i'll never ever play a console as good as this again. Dreamcast came close mind... a storming piece of SEGA genius and my second favourite.

But I'm sorry NB... the N64... a legacy.... the finest system ever built.... will be heralded in my eyes as the greatest gaming system ever.
Sun 21/03/04 at 14:19
Regular
Worlds greatest console, Gamecube

This console leaves the other in the dust!
It's compact and travel friendly rather than the xbox, ps2 etc., it has many amazing games, Metal Gear solid Remake, Smash Bros. Melee
Also, they gamecube is the ultimate party console. LAN capabilities, 4 controller ports , and Mario Party/Kart, Smash Bros., Super Monkey Ball. There is nothing like beating loads of your mates at every game you play, even if their are 16 of them.

With some of the worlds biggest games corparations bringing games out, you will NEVER run short of games to play, and the GC has EXCLUSIVE games that no other console will ever have, not even PC!

Giving the GC the 'Kids Console' title is unfair. You think Resident Evil is a kids game? How about True Crime?

Don't forget its connectivity extras for the GBA. No other console has that sort of extras!

It CAN have internet access, give it time, and almost every game will be using it.
The Gamecube is best for people with friends but remember it still has some of the best single player games!

The Gamecube has games for everyone, RPG'S, FPS's, Sports, Beat em ups, and games for everyone, any age!

It may not have a hard drive, but you want a games console, not a computer! And how can you swap save games with friends using one?

The Gamecube IS the best console, there is no doubt. Do not underestimate the Gamecube, get one. You will regret it if you don't!
Tue 23/03/04 at 11:06
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Hmm the worlds best console? There’s certainly no competition it has to be Sega’s little gem the Megadrive I wasn’t around in that sort of era or at least I wasn’t old enough to play games but it doesn’t stop a person to realise what this masterpiece was capable of and to kick it all of we have to look a the sonic team.

When the megadrive was going to be released Sega called in a group of 3rd party game developers and told them to each make a beta that would be worthy of the release of the megadrive the likes of Team 17 who made worms were there but the overall winner was Sonic Team originally called something like the Naki Bunch there game Sonic The Hedgehog would be released on the Megadrive.
With super fast frame rates this was one step further than the rival Mario on the Nes and Snes and the Megadrive’s legacy kicked off.

This system was built for multiplayer with 4 controller ports and the likes of micro machines, mortal combat and even sonic 2 was a two player dream with up to 4 players and on some games co operative play this became the new hot console and Snes was left in the dust. There were quite a few thorns on Sega’s side though mainly being some of the extreme quality rpg’s on the Snes such as Final Fantasy 4-6, The Secret Of Mana, Zelda and Illusion Of Gaia also there were a few games that were not released in Europe such as Earthbound that sold extremely well and brought home the bacon for Nintendo.

But down at Sega’s end they had an entirely different genre line up quite a few decent scrolling beat em ups were released such as Comix Zone and the renowned Golden Axe were some of the greats with the music to match any remember the first level music from Golden Axe? Sonics tunes were also catchy but after a while it was clear that the Megadrive’s limits were being stretched and they needed a new console.

Near the end of the Megadrive’s time the need for 3d was growing more and more from the common people and the controller layout of this console was getting to complicated to use the Snes had a 4 button layout similar to a Playstation controller but the Megadrive’s 6 button was getting hard to use and was hard to grasp at some times.

So the battle of both consoles had ended each with there great games but it really depended what you were into to decide which one as the best I was more for the multiplayer fun fest which was the Megadrive rather then the long single player sit at home on your own all day playing rpg’s Snes. All I know is that this console will be appreciated for years to come from the young and older generations.
Wed 24/03/04 at 13:26
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
And Penguinator everything you said on your thingy was either wrong or not that special like there are exclusice GC games there are exclusive Ps2 and Xbox games to. Also if you want RPG's you get a Ps2 if you like FPS's yo get Xbox you just use a multitab for 4 players on a ps2. All 3 consoles have online play Xbox being the best due to its starter kit and not a adapter. Wind Waker was very short compared to the originals and there a much longer games on ps2 and xbox. Hard drives on consoles dont make it a computer but more useful and because of the disks it cannot play music or dvd.

Just making debate.
Wed 24/03/04 at 13:29
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Dringo you have some great points amd like the Snes and Megadrive situation it just depended what took your fancy personally I was a PS man for the great Rpg's and like the Ps2 and GC Sony deliver more realistic graphics rather then cartoons I now own both of these consoles and n64 certain was great but all and all the playstation came out on top.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.