GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"World's Greatest Console"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 28/02/04 at 17:13
Regular
"Up your Arsenal!!"
Which console do you think is the best?I'd say PS2!
Sat 28/02/04 at 17:13
Regular
"Up your Arsenal!!"
Which console do you think is the best?I'd say PS2!
Sat 28/02/04 at 17:14
Regular
Currently - XBOX
Of all time - probably the SNES
Sat 28/02/04 at 17:24
Regular
"Whatever!"
Of all time it has to be the SNES

At the moment, probably GC
Sat 28/02/04 at 18:15
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
PS2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sat 28/02/04 at 18:25
Regular
"Milky Milky"
Of all time I'd say the MegaDrive :) But thats out of only ever owning a Master System, Megadrive, Game Gear, PS1 and then an Xbox. I had a SNES brifly but didn't like it too much...i think the controller put me off :(
Sun 29/02/04 at 15:57
Regular
"100% Sonic fan"
The megadrive for me

I think gaming only really took off when this 16-bit console came out. In ten years time this console will be rare like the first atari.
Sun 29/02/04 at 16:02
Regular
"tokyo police club"
SNES.

GC and XBOX are current faves
Sat 06/03/04 at 02:14
"I love yo... lamp."
The greatest console of all time... Dreamcast.

Everything about the Dreamcast was class. It was white, which was a nice change from the grey and black that was becoming the norm for consoles at the time. It was powerful for the time using a rather clever graphics processor that worked rather differently from most. Rather than just drawing everything, it only drew what was in view. Simple, but very efficient.

The controllers were good. Not perfect, but better than the N64. But what made it even better was the analogue triggers. Because of them, Metropolis Street Racer, one time world's best racing game, felt just so right. The memory cards, the Visual Memory Unit, was a masterpiece. It was a tiny handheld in its own right, with some games having mini games that could be played on it. Not only that, but because the screen was still visible when plugged into the controller, some games even used it to display information so your opponent couldn't see it.

But who cares about the hardware, it was the games that mattered. And boy, did it have them. It had the ubiquitous Sonic game(s). Finally, 3D Sonic felt fast! He also looked brilliant at that.

There were half a dozen top racing games, including Metropolis Street Racer, the forebearer of Project Gotham Racing. Jet Set Radio, the first game to popularise one of the current crazes, cell shaded graphics. It was just a stunning game, part platformer, part boarding, and it looked like a comic or cartoon.

There were epic RPGs, Skies Of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Phantasy Star Online 1 and 2. But above all of them was the mighty Shenmue. It was a game where you actually lived the life of Ryu, the main character. You didn't just move him about the screen, you lived him.

Beat 'em ups were well, well, represented. Soul Calibur, one of the finest beat 'em ups ever; Powerstone; Virtua Fighter 3TB; Dead Or Alive 2.
What fun it was.

There were arcade games as well. Crazy Taxi anyone? 18 Wheeler? Confidential Mission? Sports games were slightly under represented due to the absence of EA and their yearly FIFA clones. But Virtua Tennis meant that we simply didn't care.

There were also first person shooters, one of the most popular genres in gaming. Not heavily represented, but for the few that did make it to the Dreamcast, they were stunning. Quake 3, online. Unreal Tournament, online. Headhunters. Half Life was in development, in fact was even completed, but sadly never released. If you look around you can find it on the internet. Rest assured, it was every inch as good as it was on the PC.

Did you notice the online above? Oh yes, the Dreamcast was fully internet capable via its built in modem. Not perfect, but it was the first popular console online gaming service. It worked. It was fun. PSO was amazing on it. And you could even post right here on the SR forums from it.

Then there were a few other rarities. There was Rez and there was Ikaruga. There was even a weird business management game set in the games industry called Sega Saga. (If anyone has a copy they want to give to me, feel free).

In fact, there was simply nothing wrong with the Sega Dreamcast. It was the best platform available when it was released. It was not the most powerful after the release of the PS2, but it sure as hell still had the best games. Sadly, in the end, it just wasn't "cool" enough for the schoolkids. They want FIFA, they got FIFA. In the process the put the final nails in the hardware coffin of the greatest games company ever, and with that, deprived the world of Sega's genius.

Get one, get the games, enjoy it. It would be the best games move you'll ever make.
Sat 06/03/04 at 08:18
Regular
"\\"
Damn you... Now i want one but i have no money. But i've loved all of SEGAs consoles and don't see why i never tried this one.
Sun 07/03/04 at 00:00
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Even though it wasn't really a console i'll still say it anyway because in my opinion it is the best thing ever - The Amiga 500 and all it's other incarnations.

Absolutely huge gaming catalogue full of AAA classics and along with the Spectrum and Commodore 64 raised me up on videogames. Still play it to this day (surprised it still works)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.