GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The great gameaday depression!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/04/01 at 18:03
Regular
In my opinion, Gameaday is losing it's greatness it once had!

We used to have plenty of great discussions about virtually all aspects of gaming and the pieces of writing from most members was quality!

Now when there's even the thought of a female member, you are all sad enough to go drooling!

The months before christmas we had excellent standards for prize winners, most of those who won deserved to, those who didn't deserve to cheated, so it was there own fault if there prize wasn't sent to them.

Now I find that there are too many forums! In the games forums, sometimes we only get one post per game out of the games which have messages posted recently. This shows a lack of interest by the users.

The cheats site has always been poor. Most of the cheats don't work and have never been tested, which shows they were just copied out of a magazine or another cheats site.

The reviews that have been awarded, have been reviews of brand new games! And although this is good for Special Reserve as when people read these reviews, they are very likely to buy that game, it's not fair for those who can't afford these games even though the prices are generally cheaper here.

The worst part of this deprovement of the site is the members! It's mostly the newbies who are winning again! People keep changing their names, people are allowed to make insulting comments as long as they don't use too strong language, and some members are just idiots!

I have not named any of the members who make me feel that the site's quality is degrading cos it's not fair on them, but I do feel that it's time things were changed!
Wed 04/04/01 at 15:35
Regular
:-)
Wed 04/04/01 at 15:35
Regular
SNIPER has yet to find the fullstop button.......
Wed 04/04/01 at 15:34
Regular
Rasta leve me alone and my opinion is no grudges against people, anyone can win, reviews of games not out shouldn't be rewarded we need in depth reviews of their own views not views from other sites and cheats should be rewarded for a large amount put into the DB.
Wed 04/04/01 at 14:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
100% agreement from this voice.

I think if people post solely with the intention of winning free stuff, that's a bit sad.
There are some regulars (and I'm afraid I appear to be one of them now) that post regardless each day, and if we win?
Hooray for free stuff!

But you can tell the posts designed to win, not that there's anything wrong with them, but like you say, to then bleat about "Why didn't I win?" is amusing.

We've all had a go at winning, I did the "How old? You should know better" post with that in mind a little, and didn't get it.

But that's the deal folks, post because you have something to say, be it serious or humorous, and if you win,it's a bonus to your day.
But make every post a blatant attempt at winning, and it starts to get a little wearisome.

Wed 04/04/01 at 14:17
Regular
Nice to see you're still being modest Goatboy! :-)

I agree with some stuff there though, people now seem to expect to win. Ive only had a couple of attempts, but only because i wanted to make that point anyway, and im too bothered if they win. What drags these forums down is people like NIS who go around whinging for ages if they dont win.

I come on here for good discussions about consoles/computers/games, with people who can discuss, not just shout "Your console's cr@p, mines better".

Long live the SR forums, I intend to be around for a while.

*Thinks he hears groans of dispair from everyone.....*
Wed 04/04/01 at 13:19
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
And, when all is said and done, we need to remember that Gameaday is a privilege, not a right.

Where else can you win stuff for writing?
I've won a couple of times, but that's not why I post here.
I do that because I enjoy talking about all things comp related, and the responses are usually witty, informative, helpful and, generally, non inflammatory.

But enough about me....

*s*
Wed 04/04/01 at 12:51
Regular
"You've upset me"
Tony wrote:

I agree
> and we are working hard to improve this. The reviews section is
> also be attended too.

We are particularly looking to allow cheats
> to be rated to deter people from adding ones which don't work.

á la DooYoo you mean? Yeah that would be a great idea

The
> proper level of transparency will be applied, making it easy to see
> how many cheats for each game and who supplied the cheats.

Both
> the cheats and reviews sections will get a new look very similar to
> the discussions site.

wicked

I don't agree with you on the quality of
> discussion. Actually it's the quantity of posts which has gone up.
> The quality stuff is still there. (And you are welcome to add more
> or course)

Yeah I agree with you, when I look back at the other GAD winners winning posts I happen to feel that they are not as good as the mroe recent winning posts. EG. Snipers win as EliteSniper sureley didn't deserve to win (sorry to make a spectacle of you SNIPER)

It's a shame that it is so focused on the FOG forum.

Well it's so FOG focussed because this is the best forum! The best discussions are always posted here and in the PS2 one, thats why both these forums are so alive

> And Filmaday could be better supported - we'll have to see what we
> can do about that.

Any ideas?

In general though, I think Gameaday &
> Filmaday is an exceptional community and personally it is my
> favourite part of our site.

Mine to! Whos original idea was it to male GAD? whosever it was my hat goes off to them!

Well done SR, you have created a great site in ukgames.com the discussion boards are always alive and the reviews posted are high quality (well most of them anyway)

Wed 04/04/01 at 09:16
Regular
I agree with you there Tony!
Wed 04/04/01 at 09:14
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Edgy wrote:
> The cheats site has always been poor

I agree and we are working hard to improve this. The reviews section is also be attended too.

We are particularly looking to allow cheats to be rated to deter people from adding ones which don't work. The proper level of transparency will be applied, making it easy to see how many cheats for each game and who supplied the cheats.

Both the cheats and reviews sections will get a new look very similar to the discussions site.

I don't agree with you on the quality of discussion. Actually it's the quantity of posts which has gone up. The quality stuff is still there. (And you are welcome to add more or course)

It's a shame that it is so focused on the FOG forum. And Filmaday could be better supported - we'll have to see what we can do about that.

In general though, I think Gameaday & Filmaday is an exceptional community and personally it is my favourite part of our site.
Wed 04/04/01 at 09:07
Regular
"not dead"
I think this post roughly translates to:

Edgy is depressed because he hasn't won in ages.

I think these forums are fun. I enjoy them, so it's okay by me.

When something is posted that covers an old topic give it a chance. Our opinions change, and there will be other people here to give a different view. So rather than writting " I wrote something like this back in October" why not offer your opinion on the subject, and discuss it?

If we refuse to discuss things because someone else once said something similar, it may soon get rather dull around here.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.