GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Being Alone"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/02/04 at 20:13
Regular
Do you get the recurring feeling you are alone in the universe - that no-one, despite what they say, understands your point of view and outlook? That despite the fact that you have many friends and aquaintances, you have lovers or family, you are isolated from the rest of the human race in your beliefs, aspirations, dreams, hopes and needs?

Do you ever feel that your thoughts and actions are meaningless - that anything you say or do will have no effect on the way things are in the grand scheme of things? That things will remain the same, that one day/week will morph into another, consisting of things unimportant enough to forget, yet prominent enough to prompt you to yearn for more?

A song I forget the name of illustrates this beautifully :

"Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all, the record returns to the start of the song, and we all dance along like before ...."

Ever feel you are stuck - that although your life will change in many ways, it will never really challenge or stimulate your intellect in the way it did when everything was new to you, when you were younger. When innocence dictated that you had a totally different impression of the world, and you had an almost unlimited amount of experiences to look forward to.

Homer Simpson said it well : "I used to believe in stuff too, til the weight of the world crushed my tender spirit"

This may read like something written by someone who is depressed, I can't comment on that, I am no psychiatrist. I certainly don't feel depressed, just bored and mentally unstimulated. I am just interested to know if this is a general feeling, whether there is something I am missing. My aspirations seem far more mundane than they did years ago. Things I am supposedly working toward/for are no longer as important to me. I feel that there must be something more to life than working 40 hours a week, then spending a couple of days pursuing hobbies, watching films, playing games, or talking complete bo**ocks to friends for hours and hours while killing brain cells with alcohol. It's lost its magic, it isn't new to me anymore. Such actions are meaningless - they serve no purpose other than to kill time. It seems such a waste.

What else is there, really?
Wed 25/02/04 at 12:47
Regular
To think about the natural universe and our place in it is often an enlightening and uplifting thing. Our universe is completely indifferent to our existence. It cares not whether we continue to thrive for another billion years or are wiped out tomorrow. It will continue to exist as though we never were. As long as the universe survives, it doesn't matter what happens to us, we are after all just a mixture of compounds that were ejected from a star or nebula billions of years ago. Life may well, and will definitely in my opinion, thrive once again, maybe in another galaxy at the other side of the universe, at some point in the future.

Some, most notably the religious are opposed to such a thought, as it makes them feel alone and insignificant, but I feel quite the opposite about it. It makes me realise just how unique we really are. The chances of there being humans anywhere else in the universe is virtually nil, and the possibility of them having shared the same history, experiences, arts and mindset is so remote as to not exist. Of course there is always the theory that given enough time and space, anything is possible, but I can't really see such a thing happening.

Then you have the theory of alternate dimensions, almost infinite in number, where each plays out ever so slightly different to the last. This is another possibility I can't really see being the case, although that is not to say that I flat out reject it.

We are primitive beings, but we have an extraordinary power that no other known being possesses - an imagination. It allows us to second guess what we cannot understand, to make predictions of the future, to chew the fat over our very existence. This is being sentient, and sentience itself is the most unique thing about us. Without it, we are simply cattle.

So this brings us to the main point in question here - the human consciousness or 'soul'. I am not religious, but I believe in the theory of a soul. A soul is a person. Their body is just something that allows that soul to interact with the physical world. What happens to the soul when we die though? Einstein was keen to point out that energy cannot be destroyed - it can only be converted from one type to another. So it is reasonable to assume that the soul is not destroyed, although it is also reasonable to assume it is converted into a form of energy that is primitive enough to mean that the soul (as we know it) ceases to exist, such as heat.

Is this soul 'reborn' into another physical manifestation? We have no way of knowing, perhaps we as a race will never know. Perhaps this is a form of arrogance and rejection of the theory that such a powerful entity as a persons soul, can be completely destroyed. If it could indeed be destroyed, surely this would be another perfect example of just how unique and amazing we are - in a universe billions and billions (and billions) of years old, we are given such a small window of opportunity to exist and make our mark on our tiny corner of it.

I just don't know, all we have is a multitude of theories which we may never prove or disprove, but it's certainly fun trying to find out.
Wed 25/02/04 at 07:34
Regular
"Monochromatic"
i've been single for about 18 months now,but until yesterday i've never felt loneliness,for some reason it just kicked in.
Wed 25/02/04 at 02:17
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I've waited for ever for that moment
Wed 25/02/04 at 02:15
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Right! That's it!

*cuffs English_Bloke and fogmarches him into the dungeon*
Wed 25/02/04 at 01:44
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Black Glove wrote:
> And when he can't sleep he turns into a narcissistic egoist.

And a pink flouncey flower.
Wed 25/02/04 at 01:42
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Strafio wrote:
> Argh, I'm mincing. Read what Black Glove said! :-D

I totally agree. Read what that Black Glove said. He's so... wise. And when he can't sleep he turns into a narcissistic egoist.
Wed 25/02/04 at 00:40
Regular
Borat, it's not a bad thing.

People think different ways at different times of different things.
You have things in common with people, and things uncommon with them.
You have moments of connection and bonding, and times when you feel like you barely know them.

It's the beauty of life which makes us all different... or something.

Argh, I'm mincing. Read what Black Glove said! :-D
Wed 25/02/04 at 00:34
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I feel quite the opposite actually. I believe in a state of consciousness that we can't yet reach whilst knowingly alive, that allows us to form a sort of empathy between beings. What I'm kind of getting at is, what seperates our minds? Physically, they're housed in a pink squidgy lump of neural networks and blood, but there must be something beyond the physical body that explains what happens after we die and before we are born. And I believe the next stage is joining a huge collective consciousness until we are "reborn" again in our next physical manifestation. Whether we'll ever be able to enter this state of mind whilst physically alive, I don't know. I know what I'm trying to get at, but it's difficult to put into words. Maybe someone else can help me clear this up?
Wed 25/02/04 at 00:23
Regular
"cachoo"
Ms NY wrote:
> It's like, what happened in the past seemed much more real because
> all things happening now don't seem real. Too much war! Yeah.. the
> mind isn't awake tonight! ;)

Christ.. Rephrase.
It's like what happened in the past seemed much more real because, personally, the war is just like an object. Seems as though people aren't taking it seriously. "Hey! Let's just go fight! Kill!". That's how I feel for Mr Bush. :)
This is way off topic, where did War even come from? You know what I mean though.
Wed 25/02/04 at 00:19
Regular
"cachoo"
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> Do you think life had more meaning in the past? When we had genuine
> worries about survival, enemies to fight in world wars, the creation
> of a thriving civilisation, perpetual scientific evolution?
>
> All we have these days is disease, the death of loved ones and
> terrorists strapping bombs to themselves before blowing up
> nightclubs.

I agree with that! About the past. Would've been nice to have experienced that. Maybe not 'nice', but interesting. All people are concerned about now is exactly what you wrote. Obviously there is reason to because it's the 'now'. Um.. could've explained that better.
It's like, what happened in the past seemed much more real because all things happening now don't seem real. Too much war! Yeah.. the mind isn't awake tonight! ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.