GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Being Alone"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/02/04 at 20:13
Regular
Do you get the recurring feeling you are alone in the universe - that no-one, despite what they say, understands your point of view and outlook? That despite the fact that you have many friends and aquaintances, you have lovers or family, you are isolated from the rest of the human race in your beliefs, aspirations, dreams, hopes and needs?

Do you ever feel that your thoughts and actions are meaningless - that anything you say or do will have no effect on the way things are in the grand scheme of things? That things will remain the same, that one day/week will morph into another, consisting of things unimportant enough to forget, yet prominent enough to prompt you to yearn for more?

A song I forget the name of illustrates this beautifully :

"Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all, the record returns to the start of the song, and we all dance along like before ...."

Ever feel you are stuck - that although your life will change in many ways, it will never really challenge or stimulate your intellect in the way it did when everything was new to you, when you were younger. When innocence dictated that you had a totally different impression of the world, and you had an almost unlimited amount of experiences to look forward to.

Homer Simpson said it well : "I used to believe in stuff too, til the weight of the world crushed my tender spirit"

This may read like something written by someone who is depressed, I can't comment on that, I am no psychiatrist. I certainly don't feel depressed, just bored and mentally unstimulated. I am just interested to know if this is a general feeling, whether there is something I am missing. My aspirations seem far more mundane than they did years ago. Things I am supposedly working toward/for are no longer as important to me. I feel that there must be something more to life than working 40 hours a week, then spending a couple of days pursuing hobbies, watching films, playing games, or talking complete bo**ocks to friends for hours and hours while killing brain cells with alcohol. It's lost its magic, it isn't new to me anymore. Such actions are meaningless - they serve no purpose other than to kill time. It seems such a waste.

What else is there, really?
Wed 25/02/04 at 19:14
Regular
Superior? pfff, hardly, if anything I feel inferior. I'm the one in massive debt, with no steady job and more time to go at uni.

I've got so much stuff I want to do, it just seems that life gets in the way of me doing them. and by life I mean work, study, work, study, work, leisure time, work, study. Some travelling abroad would go down very well, but that isn't going to happen in the near future I don't think.

Bah, damn this degree. It's been so long in the making, it had better be worth it. my social life for the past 2 years has been wrecked due to study, some really important events have been missed. it had better be worth it.
Wed 25/02/04 at 19:09
Regular
"Notable"
Perhaps we as individuals try to distance ourselves from other peoples interests/trends. We want to be a person that thinks independantly to avoid repeatition.

This could cause frosty relationships or you could just find yourself slipping.

Slipping away from people. Becoming out of touch. And trying to get back in and thus contradicting the whole objective of being an individual and being yourself.

Perhaps you are bored with life. Do something/ go somewere to re-enlighten yourself, about yourself. Search for yourself. Compromise between people. Do totally different things to keep a wide outlook on life. Don't look at things one way. One dimensional. Perhaps you are feeling superior to those around and that's why your alone.

Perhaps.

But what Do i know?
Wed 25/02/04 at 16:03
"High polygon count"
I just got hold of it from the 'net.

Certainly makes you think.
Wed 25/02/04 at 15:51
Regular
*think
Wed 25/02/04 at 15:50
Regular
thing I'll procure that now, cheers wookiee!
Wed 25/02/04 at 15:48
"High polygon count"
The song referred to in the original post is Del Amitri's "Nothing Ever Happens", and the full song (below) seems very relevant to the discussion.

And yes, I often feel the way Borat does. Almost daily, in fact. I'm also finding, over the last few years, that less and less things manage to put me in a better frame of mind.

-----

Post office clerks put up signs saying position closed
And secretaries turn off typewriters and put on their coats
Janitors padlock the gates
For security guards to patrol
And bachelors phone up their friends for a drink
While the married ones turn on a chat show

And they'll all be lonely tonight and lonely tomorrow

Gentlemen time please, you know we can't serve anymore
Now the traffic lights change to stop, when there's nothing to go
And by five o'clock everything's dead
And every third car is a cab
And ignorant people sleep in their beds
Like the doped white mice in the college lab

Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all
The needle returns to the start of the song
And we all sing along like before

And we'll all be lonely tonight and lonely tomorrow

Telephone exchanges click while there's nobody there
The Martians could land in the carpark and no one would care
Close-circuit cameras in department stores shoot the same video every day
And the stars of these films neither die nor get killed
Just survive constant action replay

Bill hoardings advertise products that nobody needs
While angry from Manchester writes to complain about
All the repeats on T.V.
And computer terminals report some gains
On the values of copper and tin
While American businessmen snap up Van Goghs
For the price of a hospital wing

They'll burn down the synagogues at six o'clock
And we'll all go along like before

Wed 25/02/04 at 15:14
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
Icarus wrote:
> Kat wrote:
> So make the most of uni,
> cos you'll have the rest of your life to earn cash.
>
> Before applying for the degree, I was considering taking a year off.
> I told my parents, who weren't at all encouraging.
>
> "I'll have the rest of my years to get a degree and earn money
> from a job, so what difference will one year make?"
>
> After several years of non stop education, I really needed a
> prolonged holiday away from study - to be honest, I was fed up of the
> same routine after GCSEs.
>
> In the end I had no choice but to take the degree (which is what I
> wanted, but would have prefrred the year out, which most unis allow),
> as my parents said they wouldn't provide any help or funding if I
> spent the year away.

Well, it's the parents job to be sensible and try to limit the amount of debt you get into. Can you not do a course where you are abroad for 1 year of it, so it is a 4 year course and you spend a year in a hot country! Or you could try explaining to your parents (I'm sure you already have, unsuccessfully) that once you leave uni you want to settle down in a good job, and once you do that, travelling rarely ever happens, cos it's hard to quit a job to go travelling once you're on the promotional ladder, plus it won't look as good on your c.v. if you 'gave up work' to go on what is essentially a long holiday. Also it will help shape the person you are before you begin working and having to deal with all sorts of people, that will help in your interviews too. If you work all this out and put forward in a sensible way all these arguments and say that for the benefit of your life in the long term, you think this is the best option, and can't they support you? Loads of people take a year out before uni, it's really common now, cos it's the best option. I'm sure if you really explain it to them they will start to think that maybe you're right? Fingers crossed anyway!
Wed 25/02/04 at 14:45
Regular
The Soul

A section of some philosophy book I've been reading put forward this idea:
Consciousness cannot be tied to the individual physical matter of the brain as consciousness is constant, throughout life. Yet the particular molecules in the brain will be replaced many times over during a lifetime.

Yet consciousness isn't really constant, is it? I'm not the same man I was this morning, I'm not even the same man I was when I started typing this.
I could only claim to be the same man in the way you consider a river at any two points in time to be the same river.

Just a thought that popped into my head.

ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> I envy those
> who know what they are good at and capitalise on it, and those who
> are gifted and know their place in this world.
>
> If you haven't found this particular skill, it's easy to feel lost.

Bah. In high school we used to do these maths challenges every year - it was like a national competition of sorts. But it was a very particular angle, a fairly specific kind of mental ability. Some of the better maths students were very average at it.
I owned it. There was a junior and intermediate level paper each year. I did the junior one time, got the 'best in school' certificate and clocked the highest score the school had ever had. I was in the intermediate age range for the next 3 years. On the third year I took the best in school again. Never did the senior.

So now I know my ability (though I couldn't exactly define it) but I have absolutely no idea how to use it either to make my mark on the world or to make some cash.
It's really frustrating, if I could find a way to live off it I think I'd be happy.
But I don't have a clue.
Wed 25/02/04 at 13:37
Kat wrote:
So make the most of uni,
> cos you'll have the rest of your life to earn cash.

Before applying for the degree, I was considering taking a year off. I told my parents, who weren't at all encouraging.

"I'll have the rest of my years to get a degree and earn money from a job, so what difference will one year make?"

After several years of non stop education, I really needed a prolonged holiday away from study - to be honest, I was fed up of the same routine after GCSEs.

In the end I had no choice but to take the degree (which is what I wanted, but would have prefrred the year out, which most unis allow), as my parents said they wouldn't provide any help or funding if I spent the year away.
Wed 25/02/04 at 13:07
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> You do what you believe in. Some people are governed by rules set out
> by their religion, or by the government. I do what I think is
> morally right, and I believe I am a good person in this respect.

I agree 100% perfect attitude to have.
>
> You want to feel that when you leave this planet, you'll leave your
> mark on it, leave something that future generations can learn from,
> or respect you for. I suppose this should be a goal. I envy those
> who know what they are good at and capitalise on it, and those who
> are gifted and know their place in this world.

Well you can either have children, or make a discovery that changes the direction the world goes in, no matter how small, it will still shape the world. I believe everything that we do helps us evolve culturally and intelligently, just look at our attitude compared to our parent's generation. So with your (good) attitude, you are helping us evolve to be less ignorant and more mentally stimulated which is a good thing for our 'people'. It must have been people 'like you' that helped us to evolve from cavemen. Anyway, enough flattery for you!
>
> If you haven't found this particular skill, it's easy to feel lost.
You can have skills in many different areas without having that 'one skill', I don't have any particular skill, but more of an all round ability or interest in things.
>
> When I was at school, I excelled at English, and I love writing. It
> would make sense to pursue such a vocation. Unfortunately the field
> I am currently studying has little to do with it.
Write into magazines and stuff, you can win prizes whilst learning and may get something published one day. Or you could write about the subject you're studying (which is?)
>
> I suppose when I finish Uni I should start to pursue things that I
> have a passion for, but there is so much pressure to get a job, start
> earning some serious cash to pay off the debts I have accumulated,
> and basically to start living a financially secure life. I doubt I
> will have time for pursuing those things that I am genuinely
> interested in.

Well, take it from me, I've been working since I left college and having cash isn't all that, I'm going to uni in September and looking forward to it cos it means I'll be 'living' rather than just paying the bills and seeing the same old people. So make the most of uni, cos you'll have the rest of your life to earn cash.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.