GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Being Alone"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/02/04 at 20:13
Regular
Do you get the recurring feeling you are alone in the universe - that no-one, despite what they say, understands your point of view and outlook? That despite the fact that you have many friends and aquaintances, you have lovers or family, you are isolated from the rest of the human race in your beliefs, aspirations, dreams, hopes and needs?

Do you ever feel that your thoughts and actions are meaningless - that anything you say or do will have no effect on the way things are in the grand scheme of things? That things will remain the same, that one day/week will morph into another, consisting of things unimportant enough to forget, yet prominent enough to prompt you to yearn for more?

A song I forget the name of illustrates this beautifully :

"Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all, the record returns to the start of the song, and we all dance along like before ...."

Ever feel you are stuck - that although your life will change in many ways, it will never really challenge or stimulate your intellect in the way it did when everything was new to you, when you were younger. When innocence dictated that you had a totally different impression of the world, and you had an almost unlimited amount of experiences to look forward to.

Homer Simpson said it well : "I used to believe in stuff too, til the weight of the world crushed my tender spirit"

This may read like something written by someone who is depressed, I can't comment on that, I am no psychiatrist. I certainly don't feel depressed, just bored and mentally unstimulated. I am just interested to know if this is a general feeling, whether there is something I am missing. My aspirations seem far more mundane than they did years ago. Things I am supposedly working toward/for are no longer as important to me. I feel that there must be something more to life than working 40 hours a week, then spending a couple of days pursuing hobbies, watching films, playing games, or talking complete bo**ocks to friends for hours and hours while killing brain cells with alcohol. It's lost its magic, it isn't new to me anymore. Such actions are meaningless - they serve no purpose other than to kill time. It seems such a waste.

What else is there, really?
Thu 26/02/04 at 13:38
Regular
"cachoo"
Flockhart wrote:
> i faced death and i won the battle, but i will eventually lose the
> war, as will you all.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean you faced death? What happened?
.. Strong boy.. :)
Thu 26/02/04 at 13:02
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I'm upset

It comes and goes with me, somedays I feel great whilst others I see no point of me being here.
Thu 26/02/04 at 12:55
Regular
"Monochromatic"
i faced death and i won the battle, but i will eventually lose the war, as will you all.
i kept my life but i've lost part of my soul in return.
it's a strange thing for some people it spurs them on,for others it stops them in thier tracks.
Thu 26/02/04 at 12:29
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ive been feeling alone for a while now too.

It seems to stem from when something in my brain clicked and i realised that there is very little point in my existence. Sure i would like to be a well documented scientist with a nobel prize under my belt, but even if i do theres not much point to it, i will lose it all when i die anyway.

I used to be scared of death, but now, i think if i faced it, i would rather embrace it.
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:44
Regular
"Monochromatic"
we are all alone, it's just easier to take if you've got someone
Thu 26/02/04 at 10:38
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
>
> Exactly how I feel Lindgren. It's good to know I am not alone.

Ditto Borat. :)
Thu 26/02/04 at 01:04
Regular
Lindgren wrote:
> I understand what you are saying Borat. Life for me is feeling pretty
> mundane at the moment. I feel isolated even though I am surrounded by
> people and have friends. i just don't feel like I am making a
> connection with anyone at the moment. I am studying a course at Uni
> that I enjoy but am not getting any real satisfaction out of for some
> reason, it all feels like a bit of a means to no particular end. I
> can't imagine myself getting a job out of it because it isn't really
> what I want to do, but its the best I could get at Uni.

Exactly how I feel Lindgren. It's good to know I am not alone.
Wed 25/02/04 at 23:16
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I understand what you are saying Borat. Life for me is feeling pretty mundane at the moment. I feel isolated even though I am surrounded by people and have friends. i just don't feel like I am making a connection with anyone at the moment. I am studying a course at Uni that I enjoy but am not getting any real satisfaction out of for some reason, it all feels like a bit of a means to no particular end. I can't imagine myself getting a job out of it because it isn't really what I want to do, but its the best I could get at Uni. I would love to teach English and Geography at secondary school level, but the crap points system for Uni meant I never stood a chance of getting the Uni course because I couldn't get enough points in Irish and Biology.
Wed 25/02/04 at 22:32
Regular
A girlfriend would be sweet I have to admit, but I point blank refuse to settle for someone who is completely unlike me, and is likely to cause me years of pain, just because I feel out of place or lonely being single.

The amount of friends I have who are single is steadily decreasing, people seem to be getting engaged left right and center. But I only feel out of place when I'm out with these people, the thought of being alone never even crosses my mind when I am out with just my single friends.

I'm not going to submit to peer pressure, I am happy the way I am, and have quite a few years left which I would like to spend as a carefree and single adult, not tied down because I feel obligated to. If I happen to meet someone who I think is the girl of my dreams, then that is great, but I am not going to spend my life living in hope of such things - you are just perpetually disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Maybe what I need is to try and widen my circle of friends to encompass far more single people. It's no fun going out and being the odd one out, it's no fun at all. I have a group of friends from my martial arts lessons who for some reason I have neglected, either due to selfishness or because I couldn't be bothered to make the effort (is that the same thing?). I am just sick of feeling like a spare part - the bindings of the group of friends I've known since childhood are breaking as people pair off and do their own thing, get togethers are getting fewer and far between. Coupled with my poor financial situation, meaning I can't go out as often as I'd like, I think this is the reason I sometimes feel isolated.

I need to cheer up and stop whinging about such things though :D
Wed 25/02/04 at 19:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Personally, I'm alone. As in single. At the moment I hope to rectify that pretty soon, but I've been hoping that for a year or so now, and no matter what I do or don't do, I always wish I hadn't. Which is kinda depressing.

However, at the moment, I'm certainly on the up. For some reason, I've started doing completely spontaneous things with my friends. Just gone and done something because we're young and carefree (*retch*), etc. I'm planning my 18th with my best friend and praying to all of God and his wonderful lovely angels that I will find someone to love soon. Or just get drunk and......well. Anyway. I'm certainly having fun, my friends are great etc.

As for being alone, I've always kinda accepted that I am. Others can be very similar, but I know that nobody is exactly the same. I actually love the feeling of being by myself, not doing nothing, but listening to music and sitting somewhere outside, especially at dusk on a hill. I'm also very obviously a romantic, which then leads back to the love thing. Ah well. Next few weeks could change that. Woot!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.