GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Being Alone"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/02/04 at 20:13
Regular
Do you get the recurring feeling you are alone in the universe - that no-one, despite what they say, understands your point of view and outlook? That despite the fact that you have many friends and aquaintances, you have lovers or family, you are isolated from the rest of the human race in your beliefs, aspirations, dreams, hopes and needs?

Do you ever feel that your thoughts and actions are meaningless - that anything you say or do will have no effect on the way things are in the grand scheme of things? That things will remain the same, that one day/week will morph into another, consisting of things unimportant enough to forget, yet prominent enough to prompt you to yearn for more?

A song I forget the name of illustrates this beautifully :

"Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all, the record returns to the start of the song, and we all dance along like before ...."

Ever feel you are stuck - that although your life will change in many ways, it will never really challenge or stimulate your intellect in the way it did when everything was new to you, when you were younger. When innocence dictated that you had a totally different impression of the world, and you had an almost unlimited amount of experiences to look forward to.

Homer Simpson said it well : "I used to believe in stuff too, til the weight of the world crushed my tender spirit"

This may read like something written by someone who is depressed, I can't comment on that, I am no psychiatrist. I certainly don't feel depressed, just bored and mentally unstimulated. I am just interested to know if this is a general feeling, whether there is something I am missing. My aspirations seem far more mundane than they did years ago. Things I am supposedly working toward/for are no longer as important to me. I feel that there must be something more to life than working 40 hours a week, then spending a couple of days pursuing hobbies, watching films, playing games, or talking complete bo**ocks to friends for hours and hours while killing brain cells with alcohol. It's lost its magic, it isn't new to me anymore. Such actions are meaningless - they serve no purpose other than to kill time. It seems such a waste.

What else is there, really?
Tue 24/02/04 at 20:13
Regular
Do you get the recurring feeling you are alone in the universe - that no-one, despite what they say, understands your point of view and outlook? That despite the fact that you have many friends and aquaintances, you have lovers or family, you are isolated from the rest of the human race in your beliefs, aspirations, dreams, hopes and needs?

Do you ever feel that your thoughts and actions are meaningless - that anything you say or do will have no effect on the way things are in the grand scheme of things? That things will remain the same, that one day/week will morph into another, consisting of things unimportant enough to forget, yet prominent enough to prompt you to yearn for more?

A song I forget the name of illustrates this beautifully :

"Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all, the record returns to the start of the song, and we all dance along like before ...."

Ever feel you are stuck - that although your life will change in many ways, it will never really challenge or stimulate your intellect in the way it did when everything was new to you, when you were younger. When innocence dictated that you had a totally different impression of the world, and you had an almost unlimited amount of experiences to look forward to.

Homer Simpson said it well : "I used to believe in stuff too, til the weight of the world crushed my tender spirit"

This may read like something written by someone who is depressed, I can't comment on that, I am no psychiatrist. I certainly don't feel depressed, just bored and mentally unstimulated. I am just interested to know if this is a general feeling, whether there is something I am missing. My aspirations seem far more mundane than they did years ago. Things I am supposedly working toward/for are no longer as important to me. I feel that there must be something more to life than working 40 hours a week, then spending a couple of days pursuing hobbies, watching films, playing games, or talking complete bo**ocks to friends for hours and hours while killing brain cells with alcohol. It's lost its magic, it isn't new to me anymore. Such actions are meaningless - they serve no purpose other than to kill time. It seems such a waste.

What else is there, really?
Tue 24/02/04 at 20:27
Regular
"Not a Jew"
When I was a child, I used to think I was all alone and hated by all, with my only friend my faithful dog. Pathetic, really.

I don't know what there is. I just try to make something of my life, whether it breaks laws/rules or whatever doesn't mean anything. Obviously I'm not talking about killing people for pleasure, but other things.
Tue 24/02/04 at 20:31
Regular
"Notable"
Hmm. A serious relationship with a girl can cure all of that.

Unless you already have one...In which case blah.
Tue 24/02/04 at 20:34
Regular
You do what you believe in. Some people are governed by rules set out by their religion, or by the government. I do what I think is morally right, and I believe I am a good person in this respect.

You want to feel that when you leave this planet, you'll leave your mark on it, leave something that future generations can learn from, or respect you for. I suppose this should be a goal. I envy those who know what they are good at and capitalise on it, and those who are gifted and know their place in this world.

If you haven't found this particular skill, it's easy to feel lost.

When I was at school, I excelled at English, and I love writing. It would make sense to pursue such a vocation. Unfortunately the field I am currently studying has little to do with it.

I suppose when I finish Uni I should start to pursue things that I have a passion for, but there is so much pressure to get a job, start earning some serious cash to pay off the debts I have accumulated, and basically to start living a financially secure life. I doubt I will have time for pursuing those things that I am genuinely interested in.

That's what riches give you - freedom. Those who say money cannot bring happiness don't have a clue. The money itself doesn't bring you happiness, but it gives you something that will - freedom. Freedom to live your life as you choose, rather than as you are required to.
Tue 24/02/04 at 20:34
Regular
"Not a Jew"
But if it ends, and it most likely will, it will probably end on a sour note, causing more pain, perhaps even worse as a sense of longing takes over for "what it used to be like". It is like being out in the cold, go in for a few minutes and partially warm up, but when you come out it will be all the more worse, as you have been sheltered for a while and your body (in Borats case his mind) is more vulnerable and will ultimately suffer more.
Tue 24/02/04 at 20:35
Regular
"Not a Jew"
RoJ wrote:
> But if it ends, and it most likely will, it will probably end on a
> sour note, causing more pain, perhaps even worse as a sense of
> longing takes over for "what it used to be like". It is
> like being out in the cold, go in for a few minutes and partially
> warm up, but when you come out it will be all the more worse, as you
> have been sheltered for a while and your body (in Borats case his
> mind) is more vulnerable and will ultimately suffer more.

In response to JT's post.
Tue 24/02/04 at 20:40
Regular
"Notable"
There is enough in this world to keep a man going for a 1000 years. Whether it be infomation, leisure, relationships. Whatever tickles your pee-pee.

I mean go out and do something new. Enjoy yourself. Throw Nirvana on the Cd player and look at the world with a smile. Get better friends to stimulate your mind. Grin and bear it till uni finishes. Write a note and slit your wrists. Endless possibilities await. The curious years of infancy still haven't left me. Theres a big big world out there. And we will die without getting beneath the surface of it all.

Philosiphy = Love of Knowledge
Enlightenment = ...er being told something or er....i dunno.

You get me though.
Tue 24/02/04 at 21:39
Regular
"SOUP!"
Borat + Phillosophy = Nono.
Tue 24/02/04 at 22:03
Regular
Do you think life had more meaning in the past? When we had genuine worries about survival, enemies to fight in world wars, the creation of a thriving civilisation, perpetual scientific evolution?

All we have these days is disease, the death of loved ones and terrorists strapping bombs to themselves before blowing up nightclubs.

that is a tad morbid though I must say.
Tue 24/02/04 at 22:52
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Interesting topic, and yet I don't know what to write in response.

I feel utterly lost all of the time, but I don't see this as a bad thing.
Do I really want to be 'found', safe in the knowledge that I belong somewhere? No. Because I'd be deluding myself if I did.
Everything stagnates. Uncertainty is everywhere. I don't expect to be happy or fulfilled in some dizzy inner-utopia. To me, such notions are nonsensical, because how can being alive in an ultimately meaningless universe bring lasting happiness and fulfilment?
I am going to live and die and be forgotten. Remembered for a while perhaps, but ultimately forgotten, like the rest.
I'll embrace the moments of contentment as they come, yet at the back of my mind I know that sorrow always drains the chalice.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.