GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Punk / Hardcore / Emo Thread"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/02/04 at 09:40
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Right, the Hip Hop thread that's been started in this forum seems to be ticking over quite nicely so I thought I'd try out another genre. I've never really visited many other forums but a quick scan round some music boards recently has led me to find some great bands. For example, this week I followed up a recommendation to check out Boys Night Out, it turns out they're great and are playing London in 2 weeks. Yay!

So, if anyone's into punk/post-punk/emo/hardcore... whatever the hell you wanna label things, please chat here about music, albums, gigs, gossip and help me find some more cool bands to go see live.

I like stuff from loads of different genres, but the punk stuff I'm currently into includes Alkaline Trio, Braid, Fugazi, Minor Threat, Gorilla Biscuits, Lagwagon, NOFX, Taking Back Sunday, Brand New, Matchbook Romance, Saves The Day, Rocket From The Crypt, Jawbreaker, Lawrence Arms, Boys Night Out, Hot Water Music, The Ataris etc. etc.
Tue 17/02/04 at 11:54
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Going to see Winnebago Deal in Southampton tonight.

Mexcellent.
Sat 14/02/04 at 23:37
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hehe, he's written about a third of my word count in a day.
Sat 14/02/04 at 22:35
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
loopy is a pleb.
That is all.
Sat 14/02/04 at 22:18
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I remember going to see Finch in Portsmouth. Saw Brand New, though I'd actually forgotten they were supporting til you two jogged my memory. They've got pretty big now, but I'd not really heard of them at the time. They were okay live, the tunes got me in the mood as it were, but I would have been disappointed with them had they been headlining. If you get my meaning.
Sat 14/02/04 at 20:41
Regular
"I'm not a noob :"
Yeah thats when I first saw Brand New, supporting Finch. It was at the London Astoria, March 2002.
Sat 14/02/04 at 19:30
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hmmm. These terms don't mean much to me.

I like Glassjaw, and that's 'screamo' or whatever it is, but Worship + Tribute isn't much screamy really. Although EYEWTKAS is one long angry scream basically. Emo......mmm, I think Elliott and Mineral are emo, but then again half a million other bands might be which I think not.

I use these categories:

Music I like

Music I abhorr

Music I ignore
Sat 14/02/04 at 16:18
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
BRAND NEW! Quickly became my favourite band after my brother introduced me th their music which he discovered about a year ago when they supported Finch. Saw them live a few weeks ago and it had to be the best gig of my life. Everyone was singing to every song, the atmosphere was unbelievable. They've really made a name for themselves and hey, they deserve it!
Sat 14/02/04 at 13:44
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I have heard of braid but never seen any of their CDs about... May get some MP3s or something later.

And I do think that pop-punk mseems to be getting more pop-leaning with each 'generation' these days... I mean listening to the Descendents who were considered pop-punk at the time, they sound a lot more 'punk rock' than say Blink...
Fri 13/02/04 at 18:41
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Sibs wrote:
> I quite like some of the emo / screamo stuff, but for some of it I
> agree with those who hate it, in that it just seems bands are jumping
> on the bandwagon...

D'oh, should have posted quicker as you answered one of my questions before I asked it! Must stop making tea mid-post...
Fri 13/02/04 at 18:39
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Sibs wrote:

> Because GreenDay were a great pop-punk band. The fact they got
> popular doesn't change that. When I listen to stuff like Blink or
> other big pop-punk these days, I usually just get bored because I
> find GreenDay were much better. Fugazi were also pionneers of
> post-hardcore, and I guess it helps that Ian MacKaye was in Minor
> Threat, probably the biggest Straight Edge Hardcore band ever...
> (although Loki might argue Gorrilla Biscuits were...)

Yeah, I'll give you that one. Minor Threat were probably the most important Straight Edge band and the biggest, but the 'Start Today' CD is just so great from start to finish that I still rate it as the best sXe album ever. BTW, I in no way endorse straight edge, but those sober vegan
virgins sure did know how to make great punk records ;)

I remember when Green Day were breaking out and leading the whole popcore (as we called it then) scene. But now, looking back, it's amazing how punk their stuff sounds compared to modern pop-punk.

Oh, and ifyou like the Fugazi style post-hardcore stuff, have you ever checked out Braid? They're truly fantastic.

> Yeah, punk is more a state of mind really. Loads of people now hate
> the whole 'emo' / 'emocore' / 'screamo' thing and can't wait til that
> 'phase' is over, loads more see it as the way forward, blah blah.

Okay, So what does anyone think of the whole 'screamo' thing? I hate the word, and I am sick of so many identikit bands coming out at the moment. But a few of them I like. Boys Night Out do that kinda stuff, kinda like Saves The Day style vocals with intricate hardcore style guitar. And lots of screaming. Taking Back Sunday meets Glassjaw maybe. And Matchbook Romance do by-the-numbers screamo stuff, they just happen to be very good at it. There are some great examples, but scene is getting kinda predictable at the minute I guess.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.