GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Invest in the Future of Gaming : Invest in a Playstation2."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/03/01 at 22:43
Regular
The Playstation 2 (PS2 for short) is the worlds most powerful games console, its 10 times as powerful as the original Playstation which means that the graphics and sound are simply amazing.
This machine truly takes you to the peak of interactive entertainment; it not only plays games but also has a built in DVD player, which allows you to watch DVD movies. The Playstation 2 is now destined to become even more popular than its predecessor, having sold a staggering 10 million units in only 5 months. This means simply that your investing in the future, every major developer is now producing games for the PS2 and already the PS2 has some great games released for it. Such as Zone of Enders (Z.O.E.), Timesplitters and TekkenTagTournament. But as they say the best is yet to come with GranTurismo3, MetalGearSolid 2, Silent Hill2, WWF Smackdown 3 and the Getaway sure to be big hits when they’re released later this year.
Tue 17/04/01 at 22:10
"High polygon count"
>change would result in a loss of hardcore games and they
>would step into casual gamer territory

Ah, I see. Oh, but hold on...

>Hardcore gamers respect all technology and take a far
>greater interest in modern technology than a casual
>gamer would.

Whoops - problem there. Change would result in a loss of hardcore games; so, presumably, being a hardcore gamer, you don't like change. But you do like new technology, which is good. Only... well... doesn't new technology require change?

From your description of a hardcore gamer, you've just described me. Since you seem to want a willy-waving contest based on intellect, gadgets and attention spans...

> Hardcore gamers ALWAYS have massive concentration spans hence being
> able to play games constantly for so long. Concentration spans of
> over 5 hours are not unfamiliar.

5 hours? You're a novice, matey! Come back when you can manage at least 48 hours straight! ;-)

Digital camera, digital camcorder, video capture card, Rio 500 MP3 player, top-range DVD player, top-range VCR (tells me what's recorded on the tape without inserting it), widescreen TV, surround-sound hi-fi, photo printer, colour scanner, WAP mobile; enough gadgets for you?

And a programmer by trade - i.e. quite intelligent. And I don't drink or spend hours in the pub either. When friends visit, they come to play games, not get plastered.

So whaddaya know - Wookiee (that's two e's) is a hardcore gamer, by Pagey's own definition! Oh yes, and he owns a PlayStation 2. Well, there goes the 'casual gamer' theory.

It would seem that we're more alike than either would care to admit. The main difference is that I don't look down on other people's choice of machine, the games they play, or the way in which they play them.
Tue 17/04/01 at 21:03
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
Change not referring to technological advances. Change referring to change of consoles eg Dreamcast - PS2.
Tue 17/04/01 at 21:01
"High polygon count"
> Instead they would have a mind powerful enough to realise
> that change would result in a loss of hardcore games and they would
> step into casual gamer territory.

?????

Powerful mind? Okay, use it to ponder this:

No change = no progress = no new consoles = no sales = death of industry = no games.

If not for change and progress, computers would still take up entire rooms and take days to process simple sets of instructions. Hence no home consoles, no games, and no gamers of any description - let alone 'hardcore' or 'casual'.

> Doing this would result in deep
> depression and possible suicide.

Well, based on the above, that may not be such a bad thing...

Seriously though - are you *honestly* fool enough to believe that lack of progress and change are good for the games industry?
Tue 17/04/01 at 21:00
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> Rough interpretation: Person who is interested in the content and
> enjoyability of software on a number of platforms, and enjoys the
> diverse challenges of a number of different genres; embraces changes
> in technology with open arms; unafraid to try new things. Generally
> found to have more than one hobby, friends, and a social life.

Casual Gamer cont'd: A casual gamer is not bothered about software quality. Instead they judge a game by its content (eg football would be a firm favourite). Both hardcore and casual gamers play games in various genres but hardcore gamers would take note in their qualities and be able to see what a game is really like. Hence most games journalists are hardcore gamers. Casual gamers only have friends who are casual gamers and hardcore gamers are likewise. The fact that a casual gamer would claim to have a social life suggests they believe a hardcore gamer does not which supports the past description of a casual gamer being ignorant of hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers have a social life but it is far more advanced than a casual gamer would have (eg boozing constantly and ragging hardcore gamers). An example of a hardcore gamer's social life would be a clan and not a ragga gang. Hardcore gamers respect all technology and take a far greater interest in modern technology than a casual gamer would. That is how hardcore gamers realised the PS2 was in fact less powerful than the Dreamcast. Hardcore gamers love technology hence being obsessed with various gadgets including advanced Mobile Phones, Laptops, Computers and watches with built in Digital Cameras.
Tue 17/04/01 at 20:51
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
Casual Gamer cont'd: Casual Gamers are always ignorant of Hardcore gamers, dismissing everything that they like. They usually resort to saying that they are stereotypical gamers (spotty geek) and they don't respect PlayStation, hence they are scum. For further reference on 'casual gamer' see Ant, Wookie Monster or Adrian. They will probably tell you otherwise as a casual gamer would because I am a hardcore gamer.
Tue 17/04/01 at 20:49
"High polygon count"
Rough interpretation: Person who is interested in the content and enjoyability of software on a number of platforms, and enjoys the diverse challenges of a number of different genres; embraces changes in technology with open arms; unafraid to try new things. Generally found to have more than one hobby, friends, and a social life.
Tue 17/04/01 at 20:48
i'm a hardcore gamer i think!
Tue 17/04/01 at 20:48
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
Hardcore Gamer cont'd: A Hardcore Gamer would not be 'afraid of change'. Instead they would have a mind powerful enough to realise that change would result in a loss of hardcore games and they would step into casual gamer territory. Doing this would result in deep depression and possible suicide. Hardcore Gamer's whilst admittidely biased, will play games on other consoles given that they are of a quality to be classified as a hardcore game.
Tue 17/04/01 at 20:44
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
Hardcore Gamer cont'd: A Hardcore gamer is also likely to be incredibly intelligent and possibly intellectual in some cases. Hardcore gamers ALWAYS have massive concentration spans hence being able to play games constantly for so long. Concentration spans of over 5 hours are not unfamiliar. Reaction times improve and the mind of a Hardcore gamer is also likely to be fast working and efficient.
Tue 17/04/01 at 20:41
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
Casual Gamer: The opposite of Hardcore Gamer. A casual gamer or 'quick-fix' gamer would seek games only to play at random times. Casual Gamers would not see games as their main interest and would probably be a hardcore music or film fan. Casual gamers would mainly find interest in games that are not difficult to play and although the games may be lengthy, they can be played through with ease. A hardcore gamer would find no interest in these games at all. Also, a Casual Gamer would not favour one brand of console, rather experimenting with many brands and would probably not stick to one unless captured by the Sony Brainwash Broadcast TM.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.