GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox connection help please"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/08/09 at 16:30
Regular
"THFC"
Well as some of you might have read on the general forum. I am constantly getting kicked from call of duty online matches. It is very annoying and I am hoping there may be a fix. My xbox is connected via cable from my router. Any ideas? Thank
Fri 04/09/09 at 09:05
"Are you sure?"
Just to add to my previous post...

At the start of this I also asked for the results from speedtester.bt.com - any luck???

You will need the userid that Freeola gave you for your adsl connection. The tool can be hard to use (doesn't always work first time) so you may have to persevere).

Once you've got your line stats (attenuation/sync/snr) shutdown and connect in to your Test socket - read the info here!
Then post your line stats again when you are connected via the Test socket.

You might like to try running from the Test socket for a while to see it it improves things? (Your speed won't necessarily change immediately,see my notes on IP Profile in my earlier link, but your line may work better if you are now getting less errors etc.)

If you haven't got a modern Master Socket, try removing ALL phone equipment connected in the house to see if things change.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 04/09/09 at 09:49
Regular
"THFC"
Thanks for all the info, i will try what i can when i get home. All seems a bit daunting lol - but hopefully i can get through it.

I was hoping there was a nice and simple answer : P

But i will post back what i can find, thanks again
Fri 04/09/09 at 10:48
"Are you sure?"
Emmie87 wrote:
> I was hoping there was a nice and simple answer : P

No chance!

Please spend some time to read my adsl pages/posts as there are a few things to bare in mind.

Here are just two items:

DONT reboot/reconnect your router too often as BT's systems will think you have line problems and slow you down to try and stabilise things!

Connecting during daylight hours when RFI (interference) is lower will always give you a better connection rate.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 07/09/09 at 18:09
Regular
"THFC"
Getting increasingly annoyed with getting kicked from COD as MW2 will be no where near as fun at this rate!

This is the status log from the router for the past few hours. It means nothing to me but i have been kicked twice during this period. Does anyone spot anything that could be an issue?

2009.09.07 17:00:50 192.168.1.7 login success
2009.09.07 16:55:41 **SYN Flood to Host** 192.168.1.7, 1106->> 89.248.48.131, 80 (from PVC1 Outbound)
2009.09.07 16:48:37 sending ACK to 192.168.1.7
2009.09.07 16:48:36 sending OFFER to 192.168.1.7
2009.09.07 16:18:21 NTP Date/Time updated.
2009.09.07 16:02:00 sending ACK to 192.168.1.2
2009.09.07 16:01:58 sending ACK to 192.168.1.2
2009.09.07 16:01:56 sending ACK to 192.168.1.2
2009.09.07 16:01:54 sending OFFER to 192.168.1.2
2009.09.07 16:01:52 sending OFFER to 192.168.1.2
2009.09.07 16:01:51 **Smurf** 0.0.0.0, 0->> 224.0.0.22, 0 (from LAN Inbound)
2009.09.07 16:01:50 sending ACK to 192.168.1.3

I am looking about and just trying to make sense of something but it really is bugging me and i can;t seem to figure out a lot of the stuff you guys write about, which makes life all the much harder. Even the stuff Hmmm has put down goes over my head.

what is "H.323 data channel idle timeout" i am seeing things like this when i move about the settings and wondering if these are causing me to get kicked, it is set to 180 seconds.

The firewall is set to High, there are loads of places to look for stuff but is there any common things that could cause this, such as the firewall being on high??
I am just trying to trace the issue, as i aint sure if it is the fact my connection is under 1mb, or if it is the router, or whatever??

Any further basic help. I Know tutorials are about but like i said, they go over my head and annoy me further lol
Wed 09/09/09 at 07:43
Regular
"THFC"
one last gasp for a helping hand - i know my tech knowledge being useless does not help but my next stage is to call up and try find out from somone.
Wed 09/09/09 at 09:12
"Are you sure?"
I think your best bet will be to phone Freeola so they can give you some phone support.

From earlier posts of mine trying to get some line/adsl info:

At the start of this I also asked for the results from speedtester.bt.com - any luck???

You will need the userid that Freeola gave you for your adsl connection. The tool can be hard to use (doesn't always work first time) so you may have to persevere).

Once you've got your line stats (use the 3com Router Stats link I gave on the 28th August and post the details to see if they make any sense) attenuation/sync/snr - shutdown and connect in to your Test socket - see my test socket link earlier.
Then post your line stats again when you are connected via the Test socket.

You might like to try running from the Test socket for a while to see it it improves things? (Your speed won't necessarily change immediately,see my notes on IP Profile in my earlier link, but your line may work better if you are now getting less errors etc.)

If you haven't got a modern Master Socket, try removing ALL phone equipment connected in the house to see if things change.

As I mentioned - perhaps see what Freeola say...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 09/09/09 at 09:28
Regular
"THFC"
The btspeedtest kept saying error and too busy at the time. So i was unable to get on it and have tried a couple times with the same outcome.

I believe i may have to try calling Freeola, i appreciate all the help Hmmm but it does go over my head lol. I am not being ungrateful, so please do not think so.
Wed 09/09/09 at 09:44
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Hi,
Just had a quick check of your line and we've had no IP profile reports sent through from BT's systems, which would normally indicate that you line is stable or that BT's systems aren't sending through the data correctly! However according to BT you line speed is around 0.5Mbps and your line length is around 3.5KM or longer, so not a great line.

The only thing in the log you provided that is interesting is this:

2009.09.07 16:55:41 **SYN Flood to Host** 192.168.1.7, 1106->> 89.248.48.131, 80 (from PVC1 Outbound)

That's your PC trying to open too many connections (according to your router) to our image server. Perhaps this overloads your router when you browser our site? I know this seems silly but if you have the option then try turn off your routers logging. Logging causes the low powered CPU in your router extra strain which could cause it to drop a connection. I know routers that don't behave properly with protocols that open a lot of connection (such as BitTorrent) until logging is off as with it on too much data is being logged for the router to cope.

Also in your router setup there is a setting under security called MSS Clamping. Try enabling that if it isn't enabled already and if you want the technical meaning for that setting: it makes sure the MTU of outbound connections matches the MTU of the ADSL network.

Your router also support remote administration locked down to a specific IP so in theory Support could log in to your router once this is setup and check your stats/settings.

I don't think your router logs changes in line conditions. Give us a call and ask whoever you speak to to see if they can get some line statistics from our wholesalers. If nothing comes back then follow Hmmm's advice and try running the router off your BT test socket for a day or 2.

That probably enough info to confuse you for a while so I'll stop now!
Wed 09/09/09 at 09:51
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Further to Eccles post, a less confusing one from me (posted from my account this time, not yours...)

The 'idle timeout' setting may be something worth investigating. Generally we advise not to have this set, or have it set to a ridiculously high number (999999 seconds for example). If I am reading what you have typed correctly, it is set to drop every 3 minutes. Does this correlate to any drops you are seeing while playing?

Are there any other on-line games you have (other than CoD) that you can try to play for an evening to see if the same problem occurs? Is anybody else in the house using the connection at the same time you are playing? I know that I have similar problems on WoW whenever my little sister decides she needs to upload a gajillion pictures to Facebook that evening...

Interestingly, your connection is currently showing as offline and has been all morning. Is there anybody at home today and are they likely to try and use the internet? If not I would definitely look into the timeout setting as that could help explain these drops.

Another route we can go down, if needed, is to turn off interleaving on your line which (should) reduce your ping and latency times if that is what is causing your drops, however if this increases your line intermittency this will be turned on again :)

Then again, this is just me looking at it from a 'Support' POV, Eccles may be on the right tracks.
Wed 09/09/09 at 09:57
"Are you sure?"
ButchML wrote:
> ...(posted from my account this time, not yours...)

That confused me for a moment!!!

Re. gaming and interleaving - that's what I said in my very first reply (25/8/9) :¬P

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.