GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"People who go on forums (us)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/01/04 at 16:30
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
Here's a thought. What do you think it is that attracts certain people to forums, and do you think we could find a link in certain characteristics that most forum-goers (is there a proper word for us people?!!) have, like we can all be a bit argumentative at times, all enjoy talking, all enjoy the English language, therefore, writing, etc. Any certain personality traits?

I started to think about this because most people I know say they don't go on forums. Now they could all be lying, because they're scared I might ask which one and then go on and discover all their secrets, or because they might think it's sad. But I mean I'm interested to know what percentage of people go on forums, and if we are a certain 'type' of person in any respects.

I'm expecting lots of abuse now, with comments like 'you can't categorise people into one type, etc.' but that's not what I mean, just what the common factors are between us. Something someone said about there being a lot of insomniacs on forums got me thinking.
Mon 12/01/04 at 16:30
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
Here's a thought. What do you think it is that attracts certain people to forums, and do you think we could find a link in certain characteristics that most forum-goers (is there a proper word for us people?!!) have, like we can all be a bit argumentative at times, all enjoy talking, all enjoy the English language, therefore, writing, etc. Any certain personality traits?

I started to think about this because most people I know say they don't go on forums. Now they could all be lying, because they're scared I might ask which one and then go on and discover all their secrets, or because they might think it's sad. But I mean I'm interested to know what percentage of people go on forums, and if we are a certain 'type' of person in any respects.

I'm expecting lots of abuse now, with comments like 'you can't categorise people into one type, etc.' but that's not what I mean, just what the common factors are between us. Something someone said about there being a lot of insomniacs on forums got me thinking.
Mon 12/01/04 at 16:32
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
What do we all have in common?

Sarcasm, I think.
Mon 12/01/04 at 16:34
Regular
too much time on my hands .... seriously.
Mon 12/01/04 at 16:34
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Well a proportion of us are bored at work, that proportion includes me.

I was attracted here because I'm a gamer 24/7... If I'm not playing games, I'm thinking about them. I stayed because (at that time) the topics of disscusion were diverse and interesting, and the forums were well run and moderated, and tidy, unlike many others I've seen.

Alot of people were originally attracted here because there used to be a prize for the best post each day, unfortunatly after that went the quality of posts went down, and users started leaving.
Mon 12/01/04 at 16:35
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I really couldn't tell you if I had anything in common with any of you though. Why? Because we don't really know each other.

If you asked someone on here about me, they wouldn't be able to tell you much.
Mon 12/01/04 at 16:36
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Oww, i feel really sick and my tummy is sore....

Anyway, I should be revising but I couldn't be bothered. The forum is a place for me to escape, and also to gain knowledge, have a bit of fun and meet new people, who aren't put off by my incredible ugliness.
;)
Mon 12/01/04 at 16:41
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
I think that most of us here (and on most forums) have a certain 'fanboy/girl' element to their personalities. I'm guessing that the majority of people who post on webforums have a frighteningly anal-retentive level of knowledge on at least one area of popular culture that is charitably described as 'cultish'.

I agree with the love of language, but I think that some people express that love by engaging in verbal sophistry and pedantry that doesn't actually do anything to advance or add to a debate. Its sole purpose is to help whomever uses it to misdirect whomever they're arguing with away from any points in a debate that they are uncomfortable with.

Finally, I think a lot of people have a desire to test their theories on life, the universe and everything. What better way to test a theory than to open it up to the public domain for comment and criticism? Of course, the flip side of that is that some people are only interested in using forums to boost their inadequate egos. They're generally the ones who post theories that, when pressed to explain, we can see they don't really understand in the first place. They only post them so to use as a starting point for a series of arguments that seek to make that inadequate feel better by the use of evasion and condescenscion toward whomever they argue against.

I'm in a funny mood today, so please excuse all the verbal gushing.
Mon 12/01/04 at 16:44
Regular
Quite an indepth answer there Light. I agree with a lot of it. Are you a psychologist or something?
Mon 12/01/04 at 16:45
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I think he’s a lawyer.

*Spits*

:D
Mon 12/01/04 at 16:53
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Heh. An EX lawyer I'll have you know!! Not only that, but an Ex-Solicitor who has a letter from the Law Society telling him that he's rebellious and unstable. Ahh, happy days...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.